Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • seatbeltnoob
    • By seatbeltnoob 3rd Oct 17, 10:33 PM
    • 270Posts
    • 67Thanks
    seatbeltnoob
    are cyclists suppose to stop for cars here?
    • 3rd Oct 17, 10:33 PM
    are cyclists suppose to stop for cars here? 3rd Oct 17 at 10:33 PM
    https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5110737,-0.0536656,3a,75y,185.48h,61.71t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sCjg0vOjMtTIeRhZvmhEoBA!2e0!7i1 3312!8i6656

I'm drive through here every so often, from north to west. you can clearly see the cycle lane and the joining traffic have give way markings but it never ceases to amaze me that cars always stop for the cycles and have to wait for a gap before proceeding.

Out of curiosity what would happen if i just carried on driving at my 20mph speed and a cyclist did not stop on the give way and crashed into me?
Page 2
    • facade
    • By facade 4th Oct 17, 1:10 PM
    • 2,938 Posts
    • 1,497 Thanks
    facade
    Although you might think that "town planners design..." is an oxymoron, sometimes they deliberately produce "dangerous" and "confusing" road layouts, as this forces drivers to actually take some element of care at junctions, and can in fact reduce accidents.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • seatbeltnoob
    • By seatbeltnoob 4th Oct 17, 1:20 PM
    • 270 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    seatbeltnoob
    I always try to be courteous to other drivers, cyclists and pedestrians. It does irk me how many cyclists ride on pavements, ignore signs and take a chevalier attitude to their own safety.

I can't recall which MP it was who wanted to introduce legislation that in the event of a collision the car driver would always be considered to be at fault.
    Originally posted by missile
    On one incident I saw a cyclist flout 2 rules.

I was turning right into a minor road. Waited for a gap and then drove in. Then in the corner of my eye saw a cyclist come in from the right, I could have sworn nobody was there before. Then I realised the cyclist was riding on the wrong side of the road.

Then I drove on the very narrow road and I stopped to give way to a MOTORCYCLE (yes the road was that narrow and I didn't enter it until the motorcucle passed). The stupid cyclist obviously thought I was just stopped there to take a random break or something. Then he proceeded to overtake me and the motorcyclist almost ran him off the road. The cyclist jumped to the pavement and the motorcyclist made some angry hand gestures at him.

The guy was completely oblivious, just too used to careful motorists watching out for them that they weren't lucky enough to learn an important life lesson.. [yet]. But probably will do if they continue to ride like that.

There's far too many part time ccylists who don't spend hours and hours on the road to know the rules of the road. Who think of themselves as pedestrians on the road and think the cars will always watch out for them and avoid them.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 4th Oct 17, 1:39 PM
    • 7,115 Posts
    • 2,864 Thanks
    almillar
    Yep, I'm glad some of us spotted the 2 give way road markings on the cycle lanes. Not the best road layout in my opinion, needs to be a bit of a longer, bigger corner to make it more obvious that the Cable St traffic has to give way to the Sutton St traffic - it needs to be made into less of a 'T' shape, and there's space to do it.
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 4th Oct 17, 1:42 PM
    • 4,950 Posts
    • 3,583 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    Where I live cyclists never stop, nor look around, ignore signs and ride in the middle of the road.
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 4th Oct 17, 2:41 PM
    • 4,295 Posts
    • 5,518 Thanks
    jack_pott
    It's perfectly clear that the give way markings are on the cycle track, not the road. It's even more obvious if you contrast it with the adjacent junctions where it's the road with the give way instead of the cycle path. Note that the westbound lane of cable street has to give way as well, so Sutton street must have been deemed busy/important enough not to have to stop.
    I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 4th Oct 17, 3:17 PM
    • 2,712 Posts
    • 3,961 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    " nice, courteous drivers "

so you mean the town planners design a road layout, but you expect drivers morals to overrule it?

and the driver that follows the rules of the road is the "ignorant twonk" while the cyclists that dont are all good?

why aren't you calling the cyclists ignorant twonks for not following basic road markings?
    Originally posted by martinsurrey
    Town planners are usually ignorant tonks and don't usually have a clue as to the ramifications of their decisions. Why shouldn't peoples morals to come into play when driving? What is wrong with a bit of courtesy towards each other?

Drivers who follow the rules of the road, regardless of the consequences to other road users are ignorant twonks.

If a driver stops to allow a cyclist through (as suggested in the OP) then how is the cyclist being ignorant?

I never suggested that the cyclist could or should just barrel through the junction regardless.

A little more compassion and understanding of and from ALL road users would make everyone's day much more pleasant.
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 4th Oct 17, 3:28 PM
    • 2,712 Posts
    • 3,961 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    Where I live cyclists never stop, nor look around, ignore signs and ride in the middle of the road.
    Originally posted by heatherw_01

Where I live drivers never stop, nor look around, ignore signs and drive in the middle of the road.

See, anyone can make ignorant sweeping generalisations, it's not clever.
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 4th Oct 17, 3:48 PM
    • 4,950 Posts
    • 3,583 Thanks
    heatherw_01

Where I live drivers never stop, nor look around, ignore signs and drive in the middle of the road.

See, anyone can make ignorant sweeping generalisations, it's not clever.
    Originally posted by RichardD1970
    umm yes cause I am sure your statement is true whereas mine is. Plus never said I was being clever?
    Do you live near me? Nope so you have no clue what it's like here. I clearly said "where I live" not everywhere
    Last edited by heatherw_01; 04-10-2017 at 3:57 PM.
    • RichardD1970
    • By RichardD1970 4th Oct 17, 4:19 PM
    • 2,712 Posts
    • 3,961 Thanks
    RichardD1970
    umm yes cause I am sure your statement is true whereas mine is. Plus never said I was being clever?
    Do you live near me? Nope so you have no clue what it's like here. I clearly said "where I live" not everywhere
    Originally posted by heatherw_01
    How do you know where I live, or where I visit regularly? Or are you stalking me.

I'm sure drivers and cyclist exhibit pretty much the same behaviours in the majority of the country, I certainly don't see any differences when I'm travelling around.
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 4th Oct 17, 4:24 PM
    • 4,950 Posts
    • 3,583 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    How do you know where I live, or where I visit regularly? Or are you stalking me.

I'm sure drivers and cyclist exhibit pretty much the same behaviours in the majority of the country, I certainly don't see any differences when I'm travelling around.
    Cause of the chance of you living near me is very remote and you certainly wouldn't visit here. I live in a remote area

Cyclists here ride much worse than i've seen around the country for some reason.

But anyway I am not having a debate about it so end of conversation for me
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • NBLondon
    • By NBLondon 5th Oct 17, 8:47 AM
    • 1,470 Posts
    • 7,448 Thanks
    NBLondon
    Although you might think that "town planners design..." is an oxymoron, sometimes they deliberately produce "dangerous" and "confusing" road layouts, as this forces drivers to actually take some element of care at junctions, and can in fact reduce accidents.
    Originally posted by facade
    Town planners are usually ignorant tonks and don't usually have a clue as to the ramifications of their decisions.
    I knew a trainee town planner once... She wasn't an ignorant twonk but did tell me that some decisions are made on the basis of what's fashionable in the field - or what they read about last week that works in the Netherlands and they'd quite like an outing to go and look at it! Some are driven by ideology - usually a pseudo-green one that says cars are bad, bikes are good and public transport is in the middle. Or are ordered to because the council wants to look green.

Mind you - some road planners have totally unrealistic expectations of cyclists too - like the totally unworkable cycle lane designs that appear from time to time. Or the junction at the North end of Waterloo Bridge (I may have mentioned this before) where the light phasing sends a mass of cyclists from a cycle lane into the junction and then expects them to stop again before leaving it - resulting in cyclists not seeing a second red light and trying to ride through crossing pedestrians on a green man.
    This Be the Verse - Philip Larkin. The first line that everyone knows.
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 5th Oct 17, 11:17 AM
    • 758 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    sevenhills
    I knew a trainee town planner once... She wasn't an ignorant twonk but did tell me that some decisions are made on the basis of what's fashionable in the field - or what they read about last week that works in the Netherlands and they'd quite like an outing to go and look at it!
    Originally posted by NBLondon
    I know car drivers are always complaining about cyclists running red lights; but a set of lights in Leeds(A58 Easterly Road) has a filter lane for cyclists that is always at green, but cyclist wait because its 3 lanes.
    A58 Easterly Road

Read more at: http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/killer-road-s-accident-gap-to-be-filled-1-2259866

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

495Posts Today

3,675Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin