Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • molotovdog
    • By molotovdog 3rd Oct 17, 10:26 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 4Thanks
    molotovdog
    charge showing as less than it should be?
    • 3rd Oct 17, 10:26 PM
    charge showing as less than it should be? 3rd Oct 17 at 10:26 PM
    hey everyone,

i think this is the right place to ask this. Yesterday i went and filled my car up at the local Tesco Garage and used the pay at pump, got a receipt for the ammount of £51, however when i check my online banking, under "pending payments" it shows "tesco pay at pump £1" and the difference between my available ballence and my actually ballence is also £1.

So i'm under no illusions that this'll get corrected to the £51 i actually spent but just thought i should ask if this has happened to anyone else and if there were any strange rules about them not being able to change the amount or not being allowed to charge a second time to make up the amount etc...

As i mentioned i fully expect them to change it and pay the full amount but just thought it was worth asking about as never seen this happen before
Page 1
    • debtorwithaquestion
    • By debtorwithaquestion 3rd Oct 17, 11:14 PM
    • 121 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    debtorwithaquestion
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:14 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:14 PM
    When you pay for petrol at the pay at pump machines, they almost always take a preauthorised ‘£1’ to make sure there are fund(s) in the account. The full amount then debits from your account normally within a few days after.

Common practice with pay at pump, hence why it’s good to keep track of transactions as it can catch you out when £50+ comes out days after!
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 3rd Oct 17, 11:15 PM
    • 576 Posts
    • 301 Thanks
    RG2015
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:15 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:15 PM
    This is standard practice for Tesco pay at the pump and many other automated transactions. The £1 just validates the account not the amount. The correct amount will appear on your account in a day or two.
    • molotovdog
    • By molotovdog 3rd Oct 17, 11:46 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    molotovdog
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:46 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:46 PM
    ah ok, thanks, that makes perfect sense. I guess i've just not caught it in the time between getting petrol and it changing to the full amount before
    • takman
    • By takman 4th Oct 17, 11:48 AM
    • 2,879 Posts
    • 2,400 Thanks
    takman
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:48 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:48 AM
    I've recently wondered what would happen if you used a prepaid card which only had £1 on it and then had £99 of fuel but never topped the card up. Would the pre-paid card company have to honor it and then chase you for the money or would the fuel station have to chase you directly.
    • JuicyJesus
    • By JuicyJesus 4th Oct 17, 12:08 PM
    • 3,051 Posts
    • 3,165 Thanks
    JuicyJesus
    • 4th Oct 17, 12:08 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 12:08 PM
    I've recently wondered what would happen if you used a prepaid card which only had £1 on it and then had £99 of fuel but never topped the card up. Would the pre-paid card company have to honor it and then chase you for the money or would the fuel station have to chase you directly.
    Originally posted by takman
    The prepaid card would have to honour it and would then come after you for any debit balance. Once they'd been paid by the prepaid card company you'd have no further liability to the fuel station (and probably couldn't trace you meaningfully anyway).

However, the chance of the card "opening" a pay-at-pump machine to dispense fuel is pretty slim.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
    • Katgrit
    • By Katgrit 4th Oct 17, 12:29 PM
    • 485 Posts
    • 1,294 Thanks
    Katgrit
    • 4th Oct 17, 12:29 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 12:29 PM
    I've never been able to use a pre pay card at pay at pump petrol stations. The me must read the chip/strip and detect what kind of card it is.
    • takman
    • By takman 4th Oct 17, 12:50 PM
    • 2,879 Posts
    • 2,400 Thanks
    takman
    • 4th Oct 17, 12:50 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 12:50 PM
    The prepaid card would have to honour it and would then come after you for any debit balance. Once they'd been paid by the prepaid card company you'd have no further liability to the fuel station (and probably couldn't trace you meaningfully anyway).

However, the chance of the card "opening" a pay-at-pump machine to dispense fuel is pretty slim.
    Originally posted by JuicyJesus
    The reason I was wondering was because I used my Monzo Card at a pay at pump and they took £1 instantly and then said I could have £99 of fuel which was way above the balance of the card.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

277Posts Today

1,114Users online

Martin's Twitter