Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MARADONA123
    • By MARADONA123 3rd Oct 17, 10:21 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    MARADONA123
    Severe Disability Premium backdated
    • 3rd Oct 17, 10:21 PM
    Severe Disability Premium backdated 3rd Oct 17 at 10:21 PM
    Hi all

I currently get PIP and ESA. My father passed away in July this year,so I took over the tenancy and did a quick benefits check online, that is when I came across SDP.

I have never heard of SDP before.So I rang the DWP in July this year and applied for it.I got it backdated to May this year, after doing more research I now believe I may be entitled to having my SDP backdated further.

I was originally on DLA middle rate care and low mobility as well as Income Support before I was transferred over to ESA and PIP.I was transferred over from DLA to PIP last March.I was also transferred over from Income support to ESA in May this year.

I had been on Income Support and DLA since the early nineties,but never got SDP,I now know I was eligible since no one has ever claimed Carers Allowance for me,and although I had lived with my dad for over 20 years he was on high rate DLA and Income Support to.So he was on a qualifying disability benefit so i would be classed as living alone.

I have been in touch with the DWP and the lady on the phone told me I would not be able to get it backdated any further.Would that be right or is she wrong.
Page 3
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 8th Oct 17, 5:56 PM
    • 1,757 Posts
    • 2,196 Thanks
    unforeseen
    Feel sorry for Bananas 123 as they obviously suffer from Tourette's Syndrome.
    Originally posted by LilElvis
    Love these threads. People can make medical diagnoses just on what people post.

The people who spend 5+ years at uni followed by a few years experience in a medical institution must be really envious of your abilities.
    • nannytone
    • By nannytone 8th Oct 17, 6:14 PM
    • 12,193 Posts
    • 18,099 Thanks
    nannytone

The people who spend 5+ years at uni followed by a few years experience in a medical institution must be really envious of your abilities.
    Originally posted by unforeseen
    i love these threads too , where a tongue in cheek remark is a far greater offence than giving the totally wrong information
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 8th Oct 17, 6:40 PM
    • 607 Posts
    • 1,228 Thanks
    seashore22

Seriously?

The poster was obviously making a joke.
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 8th Oct 17, 8:18 PM
    • 3,126 Posts
    • 8,689 Thanks
    LilElvis

And you clearly suffer from sense of humour failure
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 8th Oct 17, 9:34 PM
    • 1,757 Posts
    • 2,196 Thanks
    unforeseen
    Seriously?

The poster was obviously making a joke.
    Originally posted by seashore22
    Yes of course he/she was\ as was I
    • MARADONA123
    • By MARADONA123 9th Oct 17, 11:57 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MARADONA123
    So records may only go back a couple of years,if that was the case would getting bank statements be ok,that would prove what benefits I was on and how much I was getting.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 9th Oct 17, 12:08 PM
    • 10,731 Posts
    • 12,623 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    So records may only go back a couple of years,if that was the case would getting bank statements be ok,that would prove what benefits I was on and how much I was getting.
    Originally posted by MARADONA123
    You need to follow Epitome's advice in post 10.

You would not only need proof of your benefit awards for the last 20 years or so but also for your late father.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 9th Oct 17, 1:15 PM
    • 1,544 Posts
    • 1,364 Thanks
    poppy12345
    You have bank statements for you and your late father going back 20 years?
    • skcollobcat10
    • By skcollobcat10 9th Oct 17, 1:40 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 2,148 Thanks
    skcollobcat10
    Funny though when it's the other way around Dwp can take money back they have no time limit.
    • MARADONA123
    • By MARADONA123 9th Oct 17, 4:23 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MARADONA123
    not 20 years but there do have mine and my late dads going back 10 years.
    • epitome
    • By epitome 9th Oct 17, 9:03 PM
    • 2,849 Posts
    • 1,773 Thanks
    epitome
    No, your bank statements will be useless, because the DWP needs to establish what benefits you and your father had, what components they were made up from, and what components were therfore missing. Your bank statements are simply the net benefit you were paid, they do not indicate what your gross benefit was and how that gross figure was arrived at. Only the DWP will have this information, and much of it will now be lost in to history.

Funny though when it's the other way around Dwp can take money back they have no time limit.
    Originally posted by skcollobcat10
    That's not true. Equally, if the DWP thought there had been an overpayment they would have to prove this by looking in the records that they hold. If they cannot prove it they write it off as "insufficient data" and they only go back to a "safe date" where they can prove the overpayment. If you challenge the DWP on an historical overpayment they have to prove that due diligence was used to come to the amount of overpayment.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,578Posts Today

8,761Users online

Martin's Twitter