Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MARADONA123
    • By MARADONA123 3rd Oct 17, 10:21 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    MARADONA123
    Severe Disability Premium backdated
    • 3rd Oct 17, 10:21 PM
    Severe Disability Premium backdated 3rd Oct 17 at 10:21 PM
    Hi all

I currently get PIP and ESA. My father passed away in July this year,so I took over the tenancy and did a quick benefits check online, that is when I came across SDP.

I have never heard of SDP before.So I rang the DWP in July this year and applied for it.I got it backdated to May this year, after doing more research I now believe I may be entitled to having my SDP backdated further.

I was originally on DLA middle rate care and low mobility as well as Income Support before I was transferred over to ESA and PIP.I was transferred over from DLA to PIP last March.I was also transferred over from Income support to ESA in May this year.

I had been on Income Support and DLA since the early nineties,but never got SDP,I now know I was eligible since no one has ever claimed Carers Allowance for me,and although I had lived with my dad for over 20 years he was on high rate DLA and Income Support to.So he was on a qualifying disability benefit so i would be classed as living alone.

I have been in touch with the DWP and the lady on the phone told me I would not be able to get it backdated any further.Would that be right or is she wrong.
Page 2
    • epitome
    • By epitome 8th Oct 17, 4:13 PM
    • 2,849 Posts
    • 1,772 Thanks
    epitome
    No, they do not get SDP for that "mid-benefit week".
    It is taken off from the start of that benefit week.

Just as, if DLA PIP is awarded from "mid-benefit week" SDP is added on to the claim from the start of the week.

Everything "mid benefit week" will affect the claim from the start of that week. The only exceptions are:

WRAG / SG components
    Prison and claim closures and starts in general.
    Re-instating a suspended claim from a specific date.

If your "other benefit" continued to pay up to and including the last day of your benefit week, SDP (or whatever) would be taken off from the following week.

i.e. the other benefit can be there for a partial week when it is starting
    but has to be a there for a full week, when it comes to an end.
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 8th Oct 17, 4:13 PM
    • 10,731 Posts
    • 12,622 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    For goodness sake!

A Severe Disability Premium is an extra amount that is included in some means-tested benefits to help with the cost of disability. It can be included in Income Support, income-related Employment & Support Allowance, income-based Jobseeker's Allowance, Guarantee Pension Credit and Housing Benefit; but not in Universal Credit. The Severe Disability Premium may be awarded to people who receive a qualifying benefit, these are:

Attendance Allowance (or Constant Attendance Allowance paid with Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit or War Pension)
    Disability Living Allowance care component at the middle or highest rate
    Personal Independence Payment daily living component
    Armed Forces Independence Payment

To get a Severe Disability Premium (SDP), the following must also apply:

If you are single:

You must be getting a qualifying benefit, and
    No one must be getting Carer’s Allowance for looking after you, and
    You must be living alone (have no non-dependents aged 18 or over living with you for example, an adult son , daughter or parent ), unless they are also receiving a qualifying disability benefit or are registered blind)

The OP's late father was receiving a qualifying benefit.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 8th Oct 17, 4:14 PM
    • 1,544 Posts
    • 1,362 Thanks
    poppy12345
    As clearly stated in the OP post they lived with their father who claimed HIGH RATE CARE DLA this menas that the OP is classed as living ALONE because DLA high rate care is a qualifying benefit... So yes you are wrong!
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 8th Oct 17, 4:16 PM
    • 1,544 Posts
    • 1,362 Thanks
    poppy12345
    the other alternative is the gouvernment handing out backdated payments from the 90's going foreward ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????

HOW STUPID CAN YOU PEOPLE GET
    Originally posted by Bananas123
    Yes you are aren't you! Giving incorrect advice...
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 8th Oct 17, 4:17 PM
    • 1,544 Posts
    • 1,362 Thanks
    poppy12345
    no it would mean that the op's father was entitled to sdp..................... not the op.

!!!!ING IDIOT
    Wrong again!!!
    • Bananas123
    • By Bananas123 8th Oct 17, 4:17 PM
    • 293 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    Bananas123
    as in; you need a house first, then you get to live inside it.

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHH

cool fact for you; houses are opened with door keys!

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    • Bananas123
    • By Bananas123 8th Oct 17, 4:17 PM
    • 293 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    Bananas123
    whos house was it ?

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    • Bananas123
    • By Bananas123 8th Oct 17, 4:19 PM
    • 293 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    Bananas123
    i would like to obtain backdated benefits from the 90s !

"yesssssssss you can!!!!"

greeeeeeeeeaat adviseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    • Bananas123
    • By Bananas123 8th Oct 17, 4:23 PM
    • 293 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    Bananas123
    already responded to that....

learn to read...............................

well done repeating other peoples mistakes.......................................... .................
    • nannytone
    • By nannytone 8th Oct 17, 4:26 PM
    • 12,192 Posts
    • 18,099 Thanks
    nannytone
    !!!!ing wankstains.

if all the adults in a household receive a qua;offing benefit ( DLA/PIP/AA) then ALL will receive the severe disability premium.

get over yourself and find out the FACTS before you start telling people they are wrong
    • Bananas123
    • By Bananas123 8th Oct 17, 4:28 PM
    • 293 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    Bananas123
    if all the adults in a household receive a qua;offing benefit ( DLA/PIP/AA) then ALL will receive the severe disability premium.

get over yourself and find out the FACTS before you start telling people they are wrong
    Originally posted by nannytone
    the op is single and lives alone ?

why are you talking about random other peoples situations that are not the op, as well as random benefits that are not relavant either ?

i have already posted the answer and the information,

it is not my fault you DWP people are too stupid to understand it.
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 8th Oct 17, 4:31 PM
    • 1,463 Posts
    • 1,562 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    no it would mean that the op's father was entitled to sdp..................... not the op.

!!!!ING IDIOT
    If both were in receipt of a qualifying benefit, and both in receipt of an appropriate income based benefit (such as IS) then both may be eligible for a SDP payment : re-read pmllindyloo's post carefully.

Please stop littering these forums with incorrect advice, abuse and profanities.

The OP wrote "I had been on Income Support and DLA since the early nineties"
    It seems to me that he may have eligible for SDP.

We can all misinterpret a post, there is no call to abuse other posters because you read it differently to others.
    Last edited by Alice Holt; 08-10-2017 at 4:38 PM.
    • nannytone
    • By nannytone 8th Oct 17, 4:32 PM
    • 12,192 Posts
    • 18,099 Thanks
    nannytone
    you really are quite ridiculous.

yes the OP gets ESA and PIP.

because they live with another adult who also receives qualifying disability benefits, they BOTH are entitled to the SDP.

is this all too complicated for you to grasp?

well obviously .....
    • Bananas123
    • By Bananas123 8th Oct 17, 4:42 PM
    • 293 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    Bananas123
    you are channeling personal information from beyond the grave in that case ?

You don’t have to claim disability premium, it’s automatically added to your Income Support if you’re eligible.
    https://www.gov.uk/disability-premiums-income-support/how-to-claim

you didn't find it strange that the OP has never heard of it ??????.
    • Bananas123
    • By Bananas123 8th Oct 17, 4:44 PM
    • 293 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    Bananas123
    what are you going to spend your £87,000 backdated payment on OP ????

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
    • nannytone
    • By nannytone 8th Oct 17, 4:45 PM
    • 12,192 Posts
    • 18,099 Thanks
    nannytone
    yes, the disability premium is automatically paid to anyone that is entitled to it.

but we're talking about the severe disability premium. a totally different thing.

but because you KNOW what you're talking about, you already knew that right?
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 8th Oct 17, 4:46 PM
    • 1,544 Posts
    • 1,362 Thanks
    poppy12345
    you are channeling personal information from beyond the grave in that case ?

https://www.gov.uk/disability-premiums-income-support/how-to-claim

you didn't find it strange that the OP has never heard of it ??????.
    SDP is not automatically awarded!! There's no need to abuse other posters. I have reported your abusive posts.
    • nannytone
    • By nannytone 8th Oct 17, 4:53 PM
    • 12,192 Posts
    • 18,099 Thanks
    nannytone
    ananas has a history of giving wrong information and then throwing their toys out of the pram when they're corrected
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 8th Oct 17, 4:57 PM
    • 1,544 Posts
    • 1,362 Thanks
    poppy12345
    ananas has a history of giving wrong information and then throwing their toys out of the pram when they're corrected
    Originally posted by nannytone
    Thanks, i had noticed that.
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 8th Oct 17, 5:03 PM
    • 3,126 Posts
    • 8,687 Thanks
    LilElvis
    Feel sorry for Bananas 123 as they obviously suffer from Tourette's Syndrome.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,428Posts Today

7,804Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Common question, but actually its pretty meaningless - the amount to govt is arbitrary - i explain why here...? https://t.co/W6NFlmztaV

• RT @avantiproperty: @MartinSLewis You've got too much time on your hands.

• Today's Twitter poll: Bit out of no where this one. If you wear a watch which wrist is it on...

• Follow Martin