Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 3rd Oct 17, 10:15 PM
    • 1,269Posts
    • 1,285Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    Cambelt - change it or risk it?
    • 3rd Oct 17, 10:15 PM
    Cambelt - change it or risk it? 3rd Oct 17 at 10:15 PM
    My astra has done 120,000 miles and is 12 years old. At recent service, mechanic advised I replace the cambelt.

My dilemma is I'm planning to save for a new car and can't decide whether to do the cambelt now ( prob cost more than car is worth) or risk it for a few months till I buy a new car? I've been told if the belt fails the car will be wrecked but I'm reluctant to spend money on a car I only need for a few more months.
Page 3
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 5th Oct 17, 1:52 PM
    • 1,916 Posts
    • 687 Thanks
    Stoke
    Trade in is totally different.

If I'm buying a car from Gumtree, a banger..... I want to know the belt was done, otherwise that 'bargain' isn't a bargain at all.
    • jase1
    • By jase1 5th Oct 17, 1:53 PM
    • 2,262 Posts
    • 923 Thanks
    jase1
    It's a vauxhall.
    Vauxhall can't make a reliable timing drive to save their collective lives, belt or chain.

Change the belt and tensioners quick.

On a Vauxhall, the water pump letting go is the least of your worries. I've had the alloy tensioner body disintegrate at less than 20,000 miles old
    Originally posted by facade
    Agreed. If you've spent £40 replace the belt only on a Vauxhall, you've basically just set fire to £40.

I would never, ever buy a used belt-drive Vauxhall without a proven fitting of belt, tensioner and pump within the last 40k miles unless it was super-cheap and within 5 miles of my normal garage. The bloody things are made of cheese.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 5th Oct 17, 1:56 PM
    • 1,916 Posts
    • 687 Thanks
    Stoke
    I would never, ever buy a used belt-drive Vauxhall.
    Originally posted by jase1
    There you go
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 5th Oct 17, 3:56 PM
    • 1,269 Posts
    • 1,285 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    Eh? They're normal service costs of running a vehicle.

Just think, if you'd not left the tyres til they're almost illegal and not left the cambelt until it was past when it should have been done you could have staggered the costs so you weren't paying out so much. At 15 miles a day you could have got the tyres done months ago.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    The tyres are not illegal. They have nails in.....
    • Apodemus
    • By Apodemus 6th Oct 17, 7:28 AM
    • 899 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    Apodemus
    Depends how you sell it.

I changed a ten year old focus for a one year old car from a main dealer, main dealer just looked over the car and come up with a trade in, presumably based in we buy any car or similar.

When I picked up the new car and dropped the old one off they seemed a bit shocked that I'd turned up with some of the service history, including the receipt for the timing belt completed the year before.
    Originally posted by bigadaj
    For a trade in on an oldish car, is there any relation to the old car’s value at all? Is it not simply comparable to the “discount for no trade in” or “deal of the week”or whatever whim the garage or salesman might have? Chances are it either goes to scrap or a scrap-type value at a car auction. Just too much hassle (and risk) for a dealer to sell in any other way.
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 6th Oct 17, 7:36 AM
    • 6,957 Posts
    • 3,198 Thanks
    buglawton
    Despite what some would say, it's not usually the belt that fails, it's usually the tensioner, the water pump or the rollers that wear out and snap the belt.
    So changing the belt alone is just a waste of money.
    Originally posted by Strider590
    Correct, happened to my Vectra on starting the engine for a holiday to Ireland. Avoided cambelt designs since.
    • Nobbie1967
    • By Nobbie1967 6th Oct 17, 8:28 AM
    • 645 Posts
    • 745 Thanks
    Nobbie1967
    For a trade in on an oldish car, is there any relation to the old car’s value at all? Is it not simply comparable to the “discount for no trade in” or “deal of the week”or whatever whim the garage or salesman might have? Chances are it either goes to scrap or a scrap-type value at a car auction. Just too much hassle (and risk) for a dealer to sell in any other way.
    Originally posted by Apodemus
    I get the impression that cars are now advertised by traders at pretty close to what they will sell them for, gone are the days of knocking hundreds off a £3k car. Therefore they can't juggle the figures to give you more for the trade-in than it's worth to make you feel good while reducing the discount on the car you're buying.

Different with new cars obvs, scrappage etc.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 6th Oct 17, 10:04 AM
    • 1,916 Posts
    • 687 Thanks
    Stoke
    Correct, happened to my Vectra on starting the engine for a holiday to Ireland. Avoided cambelt designs since.
    Originally posted by buglawton
    Sorry but there's nothing wrong with cambelt designs, so long as the timing system is designed properly and the tensioning is correct.... oh and the interval is correct. VW learned that the hard way with the Lupo, initial interval was 60k, until people started coming back with engine fails after 50k, so they changed the interval to 40k.

Peugeot have an interval of 100k miles. Wow.

Chain driven cars are great, until they're not maintained properly and then the chain wears prematurely and it costs an absolute fortune to get it fixed. Pros and cons with both designs ultimately.
    • facade
    • By facade 6th Oct 17, 12:56 PM
    • 2,857 Posts
    • 1,451 Thanks
    facade
    Sorry but there's nothing wrong with cambelt designs, so long as the timing system is designed properly and the tensioning is correct.
    Originally posted by Stoke
    Vauxhall miss both those points...

Chain driven cars are great, until they're not maintained properly and then the chain wears prematurely and it costs an absolute fortune to get it fixed. Pros and cons with both designs ultimately.
    Originally posted by Stoke
    Vauxhall have got that sorted too, even if you change the oil and filter for the correct vauxhall branded fully synthetic oil less than every 6000 miles you won't get more than 30,000 out of a Corsa before the chain rattles like a diesel

Writing from first hand experience.......
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 7th Oct 17, 6:11 AM
    • 10,282 Posts
    • 6,600 Thanks
    bigadaj
    Originally posted by Apodemus
    Well there is because the car will almost certainly go straight into an auction and so the value offered will be a wbac or more probably a bca valuation from similar stock sold recently.

I'm not sure where you get scrap value from, it obviously ain't worth a lot currently in that regard in relation to steel scrap value, I got about a grand for it.

You do see even larger main dealer service groups have budget offerings, maybe down to £2k or below, I'm surprised they bother with the potential hassle and comeback.
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 7th Oct 17, 6:27 AM
    • 445 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    Over the years I have run a decent new family car and an older one for work and back. My view was to just run them/it into the ground. I did not care what happened to them. But then I had back up if I needed to get to work the next day. If its only for a few months I would risk it. But that's me.

Always had full AA covered for both. In fact some of the bangers I have bought have served me well.

Picked up an old Lantra for about 1k from a lady who's husband had died. That car passed nearly every mot and I spent very little on her in parts and service............7 years later I sent her to the big crush plant in the sky.
    Last edited by scd3scd4; 07-10-2017 at 6:35 AM.
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 7th Oct 17, 6:50 AM
    • 445 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    My astra has done 120,000 miles and is 12 years old. At recent service, mechanic advised I replace the cambelt.

My dilemma is I'm planning to save for a new car and can't decide whether to do the cambelt now ( prob cost more than car is worth) or risk it for a few months till I buy a new car? I've been told if the belt fails the car will be wrecked but I'm reluctant to spend money on a car I only need for a few more months.
    Originally posted by Fireflyaway

Btw..........he just advised as opposed to saying the belt looked in poor condition??
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 7th Oct 17, 10:33 AM
    • 1,269 Posts
    • 1,285 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    Btw..........he just advised as opposed to saying the belt looked in poor condition??
    Originally posted by scd3scd4
    Yeah I was advised based on the number of miles that's all. Apparently there is often a sticker denoting the belt has been changed and there wasn't one. I don't have full history to know either way. If it should be changed after 100k then I suppose I've already had an extra 20k out of it so I'm thinking another 1 or 2 k more is possible!
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 7th Oct 17, 10:52 AM
    • 445 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    Yeah I was advised based on the number of miles that's all. Apparently there is often a sticker denoting the belt has been changed and there wasn't one. I don't have full history to know either way. If it should be changed after 100k then I suppose I've already had an extra 20k out of it so I'm thinking another 1 or 2 k more is possible!
    Originally posted by Fireflyaway

Ok I got ya..........there is risk and chance and then their is......

I agree a couple of thousand and I would risk it but that's me. Saying that I would limit it to local journeys and work. No weekend away and the like.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,569Posts Today

7,596Users online

Martin's Twitter