Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 3rd Oct 17, 10:15 PM
    • 1,360Posts
    • 1,380Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    Cambelt - change it or risk it?
    • 3rd Oct 17, 10:15 PM
    Cambelt - change it or risk it? 3rd Oct 17 at 10:15 PM
    My astra has done 120,000 miles and is 12 years old. At recent service, mechanic advised I replace the cambelt.

My dilemma is I'm planning to save for a new car and can't decide whether to do the cambelt now ( prob cost more than car is worth) or risk it for a few months till I buy a new car? I've been told if the belt fails the car will be wrecked but I'm reluctant to spend money on a car I only need for a few more months.
Page 2
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 4th Oct 17, 12:05 PM
    • 8,774 Posts
    • 13,393 Thanks
    worried jim
    The paranoia knowing it could go at anytime would drive me insane. I'd pay to get it done so I could sleep at night. Big Bang at rush hour on that junction blocking all the traffic, a thousand pairs of eyes giving you the evils as they crawl past, well worth £250 not to experience this.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 4th Oct 17, 12:18 PM
    • 15,825 Posts
    • 9,121 Thanks
    motorguy
    The paranoia knowing it could go at anytime would drive me insane. I'd pay to get it done so I could sleep at night. Big Bang at rush hour on that junction blocking all the traffic, a thousand pairs of eyes giving you the evils as they crawl past, well worth £250 not to experience this.
    Originally posted by worried jim
    .... and then the time, money and hassle of getting the car recovered from wherever it gave up.

But each to their own.
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 4th Oct 17, 12:20 PM
    • 15,825 Posts
    • 9,121 Thanks
    motorguy
    Thanks everyone for your input.
    In response to some question if this helps clarify things. I had the car serviced to ensure its safe as possible for winter. Mechanic said can belt would cost in the region of £250 and my guess is the car is probably worth about the same, maybe a bit less even.
    I'm hoping to have saved enough by February to buy a new car.
    If worse happens, my work is within walking distance so could get by for a while without major issues. Husband commutes and daughter is collected for school. Can do online shopping. Would be a bit of a pain but not a disaster.
    Originally posted by Fireflyaway
    Dont underestimate what the cars worth. 2005 Astras with MOT and around 120,000 miles are up for around £800

https://www.gumtree.com/search?search_category=cars&q=2005+vauxhall+astra& tq=%7B%22i%22%3A%222005+vauxhall+astra%22%2C%22s%2 2%3A%222005+vauxhall+astra%22%2C%22p%22%3A2%2C%22t %22%3A14%7D&search_location=
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 4th Oct 17, 12:21 PM
    • 15,825 Posts
    • 9,121 Thanks
    motorguy
    My car(2006) has 11 months test remaining, I would snap your hand off at £300, it does need a timing belt though.
    Originally posted by sevenhills
    Whats the make, model and miles?
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 4th Oct 17, 12:22 PM
    • 15,825 Posts
    • 9,121 Thanks
    motorguy
    Sod's law says that if the belt's going to fail, it'll do so at the most inconvenient time possible.

There are 140-odd 2004 Astras on Autotrader. Most of them are in the £500-1,500 price range.
    Let's assume yours'll sell in six months for a grand, with the belt done.
    The belt costs £250 to change. Without the belt done, you'll probably get £700, because anybody buying it will deduct the cost of doing it plus a bit more for ballache.
    If the belt lets go, you'll get scrap value - £100.

Seems to me to be a no-brainer to do it.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    I'm wholly with Adrian on this.
    • chib
    • By chib 4th Oct 17, 12:23 PM
    • 466 Posts
    • 1,298 Thanks
    chib
    If it were me I'd pay the £250 and use the car a little longer, especially if it has been recently serviced.

Could it break? Of course...
    • andrewmp
    • By andrewmp 4th Oct 17, 2:04 PM
    • 1,551 Posts
    • 793 Thanks
    andrewmp
    .... and then the time, money and hassle of getting the car recovered from wherever it gave up.

But each to their own.
    Originally posted by motorguy
    I'd make sure I had breakdown cover like.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 4th Oct 17, 2:29 PM
    • 15,825 Posts
    • 9,121 Thanks
    motorguy
    I'd make sure I had breakdown cover like.
    Originally posted by andrewmp
    Fair point
    • facade
    • By facade 4th Oct 17, 6:45 PM
    • 2,936 Posts
    • 1,497 Thanks
    facade
    It's a vauxhall.
    Vauxhall can't make a reliable timing drive to save their collective lives, belt or chain.

Change the belt and tensioners quick.

On a Vauxhall, the water pump letting go is the least of your worries. I've had the alloy tensioner body disintegrate at less than 20,000 miles old
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 4th Oct 17, 6:51 PM
    • 758 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    sevenhills
    Whats the make, model and miles?
    Originally posted by motorguy
    Its a renault Megane, it needs a timing belt and dephaser pully; I have been quoted £500-£800
    I am still looking for cheaper quotes, or I may do it myself.

• Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 4th Oct 17, 7:41 PM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 1,380 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    I've got breakdown cover. I will only be travelling around 15 miles a day. I'm tempted to risk it for the short time. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get an extra £250 for the car because it has a new belt. It needs tryes too..... I will do them for safety / case I get pulled over but tyres and cam belt seems a lot of expense.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 4th Oct 17, 9:51 PM
    • 1,763 Posts
    • 1,206 Thanks
    Tarambor
    but tyres and cam belt seems a lot of expense.
    Eh? They're normal service costs of running a vehicle.

Just think, if you'd not left the tyres til they're almost illegal and not left the cambelt until it was past when it should have been done you could have staggered the costs so you weren't paying out so much. At 15 miles a day you could have got the tyres done months ago.
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 5th Oct 17, 9:11 AM
    • 23,998 Posts
    • 50,764 Thanks
    LandyAndy

I liked this one

https://www.gumtree.com/p/vauxhall/astra-estate-1.7d-2005-£900-ono/1269084008

'Low mileage for a diesel'. 1.2million miles.
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 5th Oct 17, 9:13 AM
    • 23,998 Posts
    • 50,764 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    Its a renault Megane, it needs a timing belt and dephaser pully; I have been quoted £500-£800

I just had the belt, water pump and pulley done on my son's 1.6 petrol Megane at my local indie. Together with a full service it came to £848 so I'd say the quotes you've had are in the right ball park.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 5th Oct 17, 9:30 AM
    • 15,759 Posts
    • 14,055 Thanks
    AdrianC
    I liked this one

https://www.gumtree.com/p/vauxhall/astra-estate-1.7d-2005-£900-ono/1269084008

'Low mileage for a diesel'. 1.2million miles.
    Originally posted by LandyAndy
    MOT history suggests the double 1 is where the inevitable typo sits, unsurprisingly.

Pity the "1 years MOT" was actually a fail yesterday, albeit nothing serious - cloudy headlights and iffy handbrake.
    • Nobbie1967
    • By Nobbie1967 5th Oct 17, 10:12 AM
    • 683 Posts
    • 784 Thanks
    Nobbie1967
    I've got breakdown cover. I will only be travelling around 15 miles a day. I'm tempted to risk it for the short time. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't get an extra £250 for the car because it has a new belt. It needs tryes too..... I will do them for safety / case I get pulled over but tyres and cam belt seems a lot of expense.
    Sounds like you've got most of the downsides covered. It just comes down to your attitude to risk. If a cambelt is due for replacement at 6 years/60k, they don't all suddenly let go after this point, this is just the point where the manufacturer reckons the the risk of failure increases enough to make it worth changing to save the engine.

The chances of it failing in the six months after the change interval has passed are little different to the chance of it failing in the six months before changing it.

I wouldn't bother changing it as I doubt many people buying a 12 year old Astra will be checking for the cam belt change, they'll just run it until it breaks, so not really much benefit to you apart from a minor reduction in the risk of something going bang in the next six months.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 5th Oct 17, 10:15 AM
    • 15,759 Posts
    • 14,055 Thanks
    AdrianC
    I wouldn't bother changing it as I doubt many people buying a 12 year old Astra will be checking for the cam belt change, they'll just run it until it breaks
    Originally posted by Nobbie1967
    I'd go for the opposite logic, tbh. Many people in the market for a cheap shed will want to see some evidence of a belt that isn't overdue, precisely because it means they're playing russian roulette. It's probably the single most important bit of history at this end of the market.
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 5th Oct 17, 10:34 AM
    • 15,825 Posts
    • 9,121 Thanks
    motorguy
    A 2006 petrol megane with a years MOT is probably still £800+(assuming it doesnt have a major fault )

The dephaser pulley is a PITA but its not overly expensive if you buy it yourself and as part of a kit. Heres one for £137 delivered.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DEPHASER-PULLEY-TIMING-BELT-KIT-RENAULT-MEGANE-II-III-1-6-16V-GENUINE-/161640594300?epid=651438005&hash=item25a287bb7c:g: d4cAAOSwn5RZjGWz

I cant see it costing more than £200-300 to fit that. Its less than half a day out / half a day in - but you do need specific tools.

As i've said, lots of places charge a higher rate and full whack for the parts because they dont want to do it.
    Last edited by motorguy; 05-10-2017 at 10:39 AM.
    • Nobbie1967
    • By Nobbie1967 5th Oct 17, 10:35 AM
    • 683 Posts
    • 784 Thanks
    Nobbie1967
    I'd go for the opposite logic, tbh. Many people in the market for a cheap shed will want to see some evidence of a belt that isn't overdue, precisely because it means they're playing russian roulette. It's probably the single most important bit of history at this end of the market.
    Certainly true for the likes of you and me who have a decent understanding of car mechanics. I'd suggest this doesn't apply to the majority of buyers in this segment, and there are plenty of buyers who will be completely unaware that it is needed until the mechanic at the next service tells them. Sounds like it came as a surprise to the OP.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 5th Oct 17, 1:31 PM
    • 10,803 Posts
    • 7,100 Thanks
    bigadaj
    Depends how you sell it.

I changed a ten year old focus for a one year old car from a main dealer, main dealer just looked over the car and come up with a trade in, presumably based in we buy any car or similar.

When I picked up the new car and dropped the old one off they seemed a bit shocked that I'd turned up with some of the service history, including the receipt for the timing belt completed the year before.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,227Posts Today

5,540Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin