Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jo101
    • By Jo101 3rd Oct 17, 9:45 PM
    • 69Posts
    • 7Thanks
    Jo101
    Off-peak rail tickets
    • 3rd Oct 17, 9:45 PM
    Off-peak rail tickets 3rd Oct 17 at 9:45 PM
    Can someone please explain to me what 'peak' and 'off-peak' means with regards to train travel?

I have several trips over the next few months which will require me to travel from Epsom to Brighton and stay down in Brighton for a couple of nights each time. I've only travelled by train a few times over the last 30 years so am really confused.

Does 'peak' travel refer to the busy period when everybody is commuting to work in the morning? Say, for instance, up until 9.30 am or 10 am?

Is there also a similar 'peak' thing late afternoon say, 4.30 pm to 7.00 pm when everybody comes home from work or have I got the afternoon one wrong?

It's just that the tickets I want to buy will be off-peak ones due to cost so I'm just trying to work out what trains I can travel on. I don't want a ticket inspector getting on and fining me.

Thanks.
Page 1
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 3rd Oct 17, 9:57 PM
    • 7,199 Posts
    • 5,602 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 3rd Oct 17, 9:57 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 9:57 PM
    All train companies are different. You need to research the times for whichever services you intend taking.

Even then its a minefield and ticket inspectors don’t know all the rules and restrictions for every combination of tickets and operators.

If you are taking two different train companies it can get very interesting as restrictions on one may not apply if you use another service provider as part of your trip!

Ukrail forums may be able to help with specifics.
    • elverson
    • By elverson 4th Oct 17, 9:10 AM
    • 719 Posts
    • 456 Thanks
    elverson
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:10 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:10 AM
    Peak times depend on the ticket, not the train.

What is the price of the off peak ticket you have found? Is it between Epsom and Brighton?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,148Posts Today

5,752Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• Follow Martin