Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sloppzz
    • By Sloppzz 3rd Oct 17, 7:32 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Sloppzz
    Declaring Flooding on Home insurance
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:32 PM
    Declaring Flooding on Home insurance 3rd Oct 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hi All,
    I have a question regarding building and contents insurance and declaring flooding.
    We bought a house last year that flooded over 10 years ago. It was a freak one off incident that was caused by a water build up in underground streams that had built up over a prolonged period of time and the excessive rainfall at the time caused the entire estate to flood.

When we bought the property i declared it on the insurance, however this time round when i was doing a price comparison i forgot to do so and noticed my premium had dropped from over £500 to £270.

I went back in to correct my error and found that not only did the price rocket back up to over £600 but nearly 80% of the insurance companies would no longer quote me.

Now my question is this. I have checked on the flood probability service government page and they have set us as a flood zone 1 property. In actual fact our property is the same flood zone as the house we rented prior to ours.

The house had never flooded before the incident over 10 years ago, nor has the area flooded since. We live nowhere near a river that could flood, and the town now has 2 separate flood defence schemes around it.

Is it worth me talking to the insurance companies to see if I need to declare it or not, as it seems bonkers that I am penalised to the tune of nearly £400 a year for an incident that happened once but will not happen again.

Any advice would be appreciated
Page 1
    • Linton
    • By Linton 3rd Oct 17, 8:16 PM
    • 8,351 Posts
    • 8,240 Thanks
    Linton
    • 3rd Oct 17, 8:16 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 8:16 PM
    Different insurance companies take a different view of flood risk, they seem to use private data rather than the public maps. It may be worth your while going through a local broker rather than a comparison site. When we were looking (we are in the yellow area on the flood barrier map) we had quotes varying from around £250 to £500+. Saga for example only ask about visible signs of flooding on the house.

On declarations, only state things you personally know about during your time in the house rather than stories told to you by the neighbours.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

208Posts Today

1,126Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin