Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 3rd Oct 17, 7:00 PM
    • 2,051Posts
    • 3,112Thanks
    Kim kim
    Where to get music for Amazon Alexa?
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:00 PM
    Where to get music for Amazon Alexa? 3rd Oct 17 at 7:00 PM
    I have an echo, my daughter has the tall one.
    She seems to have every song ever written on hers!
    Mine had almost nothing - I "think" just my mediocre iPhone playlist - is that right?
    Do I have to subscribe to the amazon music to have music or is there another option? Are there any other subscriptions that would get me music that might be better value? Prime - does that include music?
Page 1
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 3rd Oct 17, 7:36 PM
    • 18,515 Posts
    • 14,230 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:36 PM
    I don't know as I don't have an Alexa, but surely the easiest way for you to get an answer is to ask your daughter?
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 3rd Oct 17, 7:36 PM
    • 2,051 Posts
    • 3,112 Thanks
    Kim kim
    I don't know as I don't have an Alexa, but surely the easiest way for you to get an answer is to ask your daughter?
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    She didn't set hers up.
    • mac.d
    • By mac.d 3rd Oct 17, 8:28 PM
    • 476 Posts
    • 377 Thanks
    mac.d
    • 3rd Oct 17, 8:28 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 8:28 PM
    It'll be related to your Amazon account. Presumably you and your daughter both have your own Amazon accounts and that's why she's got plenty of music available and you don't.

If you have bought music from Amazon in the past, those albums should be available, and you can upload your own music (mp3 obviously) to your Amazon cloud (now simply known as Your Music), and you can also link it to a Spotify subscription. If you sign up for Prime then you will get access to around 1 million songs, or sign up for Music Unlimited to get access to pretty much everything (40 million songs). Or you can listen to music stations via the Tunein Radio.
    • Kim kim
    • By Kim kim 3rd Oct 17, 8:36 PM
    • 2,051 Posts
    • 3,112 Thanks
    Kim kim
    • 3rd Oct 17, 8:36 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 8:36 PM
    It'll be related to your Amazon account. Presumably you and your daughter both have your own Amazon accounts and that's why she's got plenty of music available and you don't.

If you have bought music from Amazon in the past, those albums should be available, and you can upload your own music (mp3 obviously) to your Amazon cloud (now simply known as Your Music), and you can also link it to a Spotify subscription. If you sign up for Prime then you will get access to around 1 million songs, or sign up for Music Unlimited to get access to pretty much everything (40 million songs). Or you can listen to music stations via the Tunein Radio.
    Originally posted by mac.d
    I don't have loads of music on my iPhone.
    So it's amazon prime or the radio?
    That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure if I was missing a budget option.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 4th Oct 17, 9:18 AM
    • 9,747 Posts
    • 4,004 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:18 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:18 AM
    I would have thought Alexa would know the answer ??
    • mac.d
    • By mac.d 4th Oct 17, 10:00 AM
    • 476 Posts
    • 377 Thanks
    mac.d
    • 4th Oct 17, 10:00 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 10:00 AM
    I would have thought Alexa would know the answer ??
    Originally posted by JJ Egan
    Ha you're right, that's probably the easiest way, just ask Alexa, isn't that what your Echo/Dot is there for?
    • Magerit
    • By Magerit 4th Oct 17, 11:37 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Magerit
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:37 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 11:37 AM
    via youtube you can find almost all kinds of music and this is completely free of charge
    • Geodark
    • By Geodark 4th Oct 17, 12:39 PM
    • 727 Posts
    • 455 Thanks
    Geodark
    • 4th Oct 17, 12:39 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 12:39 PM
    via youtube you can find almost all kinds of music and this is completely free of charge
    Originally posted by Magerit
    thats great, and can Alexa play music from youtube?
    • CardinalWolsey
    • By CardinalWolsey 4th Oct 17, 1:54 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    CardinalWolsey
    Amazon offer a "Prime Music" option per Echo device at (IIRC) £3 - £4 a month - full Prime music library but only playable via that single machine. Otherwise its full Prime music subscription. You can also link your Spotify account, but I think that's only possible if you have a paid-for Spotify account. Default Radio Player is Tune In, which has a pretty broad range of stations, or the UK specific "Radioplayer". IF you ask "Alex, play radio 2" then by default it will use Tune In. I find Radioplayer better quality (i.e. fewer drop-outs). There are some "hacks" to get it to play music from elsewhere (e.g. Plex), but you need to be fairly tech-savvy and they're not very robust.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

646Posts Today

6,280Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin