Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 3rd Oct 17, 6:45 PM
    • 5,065Posts
    • 10,325Thanks
    iammumtoone
    Excel question
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:45 PM
    Excel question 3rd Oct 17 at 6:45 PM
    Is there a way you can go into a file as 'read only' without that file already being open? Leaving it available for someone else to go in and make changes to the original.

This way I can amended it as much as I like without fear of the autosave kicking in and messing up the original.

Also when I need to update my files its very annoying if someone has already opened it and they have left their desk for a meeting/coffee/lunch I can't get on until they return and come out of the original.

Hope I have made the question clear, apologies if not, I am not that technically minded.

Thanks
    Sealed pot challenge ~ 10 #017
    Declutter 2017 items in 2017 - 78/2017

Page 1
    • Debbie Savard
    • By Debbie Savard 3rd Oct 17, 6:48 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Debbie Savard
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:48 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:48 PM
    No .
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 3rd Oct 17, 6:50 PM
    • 5,065 Posts
    • 10,325 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:50 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:50 PM
    No .
    Originally posted by Debbie Savard
    Oh no

but thanks
    Sealed pot challenge ~ 10 #017
    Declutter 2017 items in 2017 - 78/2017

• Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 3rd Oct 17, 6:51 PM
    • 616 Posts
    • 507 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:51 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:51 PM
    Yes but you have to open it from within excel.

Open excel.

Get a file opening dialog and select the file. (single click only so you can do the next bit)

Change the pull down which says OPEN to OPEN AS READ ONLY.

Open file.

Job done.
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 3rd Oct 17, 6:54 PM
    • 22,516 Posts
    • 56,105 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:54 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:54 PM
    Yep, as above, open it from with Excel and use the dropdown to select Open As Read Only.
    Going to become Mrs Marleyboy for real

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 3rd Oct 17, 7:06 PM
    • 5,065 Posts
    • 10,325 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:06 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:06 PM
    Yes but you have to open it from within excel.

Open excel.

Get a file opening dialog and select the file. (single click only so you can do the next bit)

Change the pull down which says OPEN to OPEN AS READ ONLY.

Open file.

Job done.
    Originally posted by Carrot007
    Done it Thank you so much (fingers crossed I can get it to work at work on shared files)

Will be asking all colleagues when accessing my files to use read only from now on. I can then look ultra clever when I show them how
    • hawkeye9999
    • By hawkeye9999 3rd Oct 17, 7:13 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    hawkeye9999
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:13 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:13 PM
    Yes.

Two ways.

It sounds like the file file is on a Share, across a network. Permissions on the share can be set so that only you have write access, the others won't be prompted.

or
    (Excel 2016)
    When you save the Spreadsheet, click on more Options (just under file name), then General Options under Tools (near the Save Button) set a Password to Modify (leave the open blank), so when people open they are prompted for the modify password or to open Read Open.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 3rd Oct 17, 7:22 PM
    • 7,514 Posts
    • 7,933 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:22 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:22 PM
    If you / your colleagues are using desktop shortcuts to the file to open it, you can try:

c:\yourpathtoexcel\excel.exe /r c:\yourpathtoyourworkbook\book.xls

to open the file read-only

You can also try /t or /n to open the specified file as a template, so they'll get a Save As dialogue if they try to save it, and won't be able to over-write the original.
    Last edited by Owain Moneysaver; 03-10-2017 at 7:25 PM.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 3rd Oct 17, 7:37 PM
    • 5,065 Posts
    • 10,325 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:37 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:37 PM
    We do have desktop shortcuts so will be looking to see if I can amend them, thank you.

Others do amend/update my files but only if I am on holiday so I will consider the password option, generally they just need to view for information, thanks. Of course the downside is I can no longer blame anyone else when it breaks if I do this
    Last edited by iammumtoone; 03-10-2017 at 7:52 PM.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 3rd Oct 17, 7:40 PM
    • 5,065 Posts
    • 10,325 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    Thanks so much again everyone

I have been trying to work out for ages how to do this by googling/experimenting etc. I should have known to just ask on here.
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 3rd Oct 17, 10:13 PM
    • 572 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    Without wishing to cause upset, I did have a smile at Debbie's long answer of 'no'.

Mum, you are now partly aware of the power of Excel.

I add here not to provide another solution but to suggest, from reading between the lines of your posts, some further thoughts you might wish to take into account. If of no interest please just skip!

There are things you cannot do in Excel but it is exceedingly flexible and powerful too. No doubt things you might not have considered in your approach. If you wish to know more I am sure people will provide you with answers.

Forexample there are several ways that you can protect your work whilst letting others see it (protection of cells, rows, columns, sheets, workbooks) by making templates, sharing so you and others can make changes but you (or other) to approve / reject changes, track those changes and see who has done them etc . etc., .or hide the bits that should not be seen (or put them in other workbooks and link to them). Many ways to skin a cat.

Then there are protection measures that you can apply via network settings on folder of file shares (mentioned in post by Hawkeye) -not Excel specific but help to meet your aim?

If it is a security thing you are concerned about (messing up the sheets, unauthorised changes being made or used, or your file lost) then be aware that some measures still allow other users to 'save as' and carry on using a rogue copy and perhaps you need to consider a master and working copy scheme or more and backups.

Do you need to carefully consider other potential undesirable actions that others may take? It might be worth having a chat with your IT admin/engineers ?
    Last edited by Heedtheadvice; 03-10-2017 at 10:15 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,874Posts Today

6,035Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin