Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kevlives
    • By kevlives 3rd Oct 17, 5:37 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    kevlives
    OK I'm all about bending the rules - how can I get this done?
    • 3rd Oct 17, 5:37 PM
    OK I'm all about bending the rules - how can I get this done? 3rd Oct 17 at 5:37 PM
    Dear collective,
    I have been driving 20 plus years and my profession is a Joiner/ Kitchen Fitter etc.
    Recently after having surgery I find myself very light in the pocket and I am on the road to recovery and expect to be back working again around January.
    I am currently insured for a car and I am looking at purchasing a Van when I am ready to get back to work.
    I know that my no claims bonuses are non transferable between cars and vans so that is not my problem and I realise that after having a car as opposed to a van will mean i have to start over from scratch.

I want to find a vehicle where I pay the lowest possible price for my insurance! Go compare you might think but I want to know something first.
    A couple of years ago I was trying decide which cheap and economical car to purchase whilst on the Go compare website. I was changing the vehicle reg and specs for each car to see what the difference was. I must have tried 15 different cars in this way.
    After finding the best one for me I decided to go and buy the car with the quote from the insurance company ( once bought I would then phone the insurance company and purchase it from within the car before I drove home )
    However when I phoned up to part with my hard earned pennies I was told that because I had been MANIPULATING!! the search parameters I would have to pay more!! ( I think it was £89)
    After having a huge hissyfit with the poor insurance broker and with nothing I could do there and then I had to go ahead and purchase my policy in order to be legal when I drove.
    I do not think this is fair and I want to do something about it.
    If this means I have to buy an older vehicle to bring the cost down then that is fine but where can I find the means to be able to choose my Van on the basis of knowing how much each vehicle will cost me with regards to insurance.
    Am I the only person who thinks this is the fairest way of finding insurance - for example if there was a list of how much they cost to insure for a 39 yr old Male etc etc

So what can be said?
    is there any way of holding one finger up to the insurance companies?
    Should there be?
Page 1
    • takman
    • By takman 3rd Oct 17, 5:55 PM
    • 2,906 Posts
    • 2,422 Thanks
    takman
    • 3rd Oct 17, 5:55 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 5:55 PM
    When searching for quotes for different vehicles use a different name and a different house number. Then when you find the vehicle you want to insure use your real details to get a price for the insurance. Although using this method may mean you don't get quotes from insurance companies who can't verify who you are by checking your credit report.
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 3rd Oct 17, 7:55 PM
    • 20,291 Posts
    • 12,533 Thanks
    dacouch
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:55 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:55 PM
    There are Insurers / brokers who will accept no claims bonus from a car on a van.

You need to shop around.

Bear in mind that if you do transfer it to a van, there are very few that will then let you transfer it back to a van
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 3rd Oct 17, 8:01 PM
    • 26,234 Posts
    • 10,475 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 3rd Oct 17, 8:01 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 8:01 PM
    The insurance for a 39 year old male is £99 to £4000+ Or somewhere inbetween. There is no list because it varies too much, so many variables.

You didnt have to pay more for manipulating the search if the quote you accepted was genuine and truthful.
    Obviously something on your quote was not accurate. What was that?

Buy an older vehicle to bring the costs down, yet the cheapest quote i have had is for a brand new car.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 3rd Oct 17, 8:02 PM
    • 22,567 Posts
    • 56,218 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    • 3rd Oct 17, 8:02 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 8:02 PM
    Have two email addresses, one used for important stuff, one used for junk. Use the junk email address and a false/variation of your name for the comparison sites; then when you've decided what to buy, use the important email address and full genuine name.
    Going to become Mrs Marleyboy for real

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

221Posts Today

1,265Users online

Martin's Twitter