Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gwowders
    • By gwowders 3rd Oct 17, 4:25 PM
    • 11Posts
    • 0Thanks
    gwowders
    Automatic car insurance renewal - Elephant
    • 3rd Oct 17, 4:25 PM
    Automatic car insurance renewal - Elephant 3rd Oct 17 at 4:25 PM
    My car insurance with Elephant seems to have been automatically renewed without them sending me any confirmation that it was about to happen.

Admittedly I hadn't checked when the policy was due to expire and renew - I usually rely on the insurers reminder notes to prompt me to start shopping for cheap deals again...

Annoyingly I am now outside of my cool off period... is there anything that I can do?

It wouldn't be so bad if the new price wasn't over £120 more expensive than last years!!!

Does it make a difference that its a finance deal (I pay by DD) ???

Thanks in advance!

Ben
Page 1
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 3rd Oct 17, 4:35 PM
    • 4,010 Posts
    • 3,432 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 3rd Oct 17, 4:35 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 4:35 PM
    I'm surprised you didn't receive a reminder - have you checked your email ( and possibly spam folder ), if you didn't receive anything through the old-fashioned letter-box ?

The majority of insurers these days will auto-renew unless you call them to cancel - it will have been in the small print when you first took out the policy. It does at least prevent you "accidentally" finding yourself uninsured and facing a large fine. But you're right - the premium invariably rockets for second and subsequent years, loyalty counts for nothing. Always shop around every year.

If you're outside of the cooling-off period then all you can do is cancel the policy and take out a new one elsewhere. But you're likely to be hit with cancellation and admin charges which may wipe out any savings you can make
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • Rainbowgirl84
    • By Rainbowgirl84 3rd Oct 17, 4:37 PM
    • 496 Posts
    • 857 Thanks
    Rainbowgirl84
    • 3rd Oct 17, 4:37 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 4:37 PM
    My car insurance with Elephant seems to have been automatically renewed without them sending me any confirmation that it was about to happen.

Admittedly I hadn't checked when the policy was due to expire and renew - I usually rely on the insurers reminder notes to prompt me to start shopping for cheap deals again...

Annoyingly I am now outside of my cool off period... is there anything that I can do?

It wouldn't be so bad if the new price wasn't over £120 more expensive than last years!!!

Does it make a difference that its a finance deal (I pay by DD) ???

Thanks in advance!

Ben
    Originally posted by gwowders
    So you would have been driving uninsured if it hadn't auto renewed?
    • gwowders
    • By gwowders 3rd Oct 17, 4:39 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gwowders
    • 3rd Oct 17, 4:39 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 4:39 PM
    Nope - had they told me that they were about to auto-renew I would have shopped around.

Auto-renewal is great, but surely I have to be told that my premium is about to increase?!
    • Rainbowgirl84
    • By Rainbowgirl84 3rd Oct 17, 4:57 PM
    • 496 Posts
    • 857 Thanks
    Rainbowgirl84
    • 3rd Oct 17, 4:57 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 4:57 PM
    Nope - had they told me that they were about to auto-renew I would have shopped around.

Auto-renewal is great, but surely I have to be told that my premium is about to increase?!

Post goes missing in the Royal Mail system on a daily basis. Just because you didn't recieve a letter doesn't mean it wasn't sent. I fail to see how you would be insured if it hadn't autorenewed as you had failed to remember it was due for renewal.
    • gwowders
    • By gwowders 3rd Oct 17, 5:10 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gwowders
    • 3rd Oct 17, 5:10 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 5:10 PM
    Again, auto-renewal is fine but surely I have to be told that my premium is about to increase?

To not be told that the thing you were paying X for last year will now cost you X+25% is surely a little off?

Anyway, looks like there isn't a great deal that can be done about it so it is what it is...
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 3rd Oct 17, 5:23 PM
    • 4,010 Posts
    • 3,432 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 3rd Oct 17, 5:23 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 5:23 PM
    Again, auto-renewal is fine but surely I have to be told that my premium is about to increase?

To not be told that the thing you were paying X for last year will now cost you X+25% is surely a little off?

You will have been told - maybe you threw out the envelope that came through the letter box, thinking it was junk mail ( an easy mistake to make ! ). Maybe they emailed you and it hit your junk folder. Maybe the postman lost the letter.

To avoid this in the future, make a note in your diary for a couple of weeks before it expires next year, then you'll have plenty of time to shop around.

As others have said - if you're relying on a reminder from them, and they didn't auto-renew, then you potentially would have been driving uninsured. And that would have cost you a heck of a lot more than £120.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,745Posts Today

7,010Users online

Martin's Twitter