Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JessicaM
    • By JessicaM 3rd Oct 17, 4:00 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    JessicaM
    6 months break clause
    • 3rd Oct 17, 4:00 PM
    6 months break clause 3rd Oct 17 at 4:00 PM
    Please help me understand if I am able to give notice right before the 6th month to be able to leave the property on the 8th month of the tenancy agreement based on this paragraph in the agreement :

12. The parties agree
    It is hereby agreed and understood between the parties that the Tenant and the Landlord shall have the right to terminate Tenancy hereby created by giving not less than 60 days notice. In the case of the Tenant, such notice is to be delivered in writing by email or registered post to take effect on next or later rent payment day, shall be served not sooner than the end of the 4th of Tenancy Agreement and, in any case, expire only at any time after the first 6 months from the commencement of the Tenancy. Under the contract, the minimum period of the Tenancy shall therefore be 6 months.

Thank you!
Page 1
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 3rd Oct 17, 4:10 PM
    • 1,322 Posts
    • 1,072 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 3rd Oct 17, 4:10 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 4:10 PM
    That clause could be invalid, but yes in theory you can give notice now, to expire 60 days from your next rent due date.

(Clause is terribly written too - god some agents are so stupid!)
    • JessicaM
    • By JessicaM 3rd Oct 17, 4:16 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JessicaM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 4:16 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 4:16 PM
    I can leave on the 6th, 7th, 8th ... any month after the 6th as long as I gave 60 days notice before the rent day.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 3rd Oct 17, 4:34 PM
    • 1,322 Posts
    • 1,072 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 3rd Oct 17, 4:34 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 4:34 PM
    I can leave on the 6th, 7th, 8th ... any month after the 6th as long as I gave 60 days notice before the rent day.
    Originally posted by JessicaM
    No, it says the 60 day notice must take effect on the next or future rental pay date.

So whatever date you pay rent + 60 days

its a terrible attempt at legalese
    • G_M
    • By G_M 3rd Oct 17, 6:37 PM
    • 42,352 Posts
    • 49,209 Thanks
    G_M
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:37 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:37 PM
    You can serve notice any time after th end of month 4.

Provided you do so in time for 60 days to pass, you can end the tenancy at the end of month 6.

You can serve notice on any subsequent date, but al least 60 days must pass between serving notice, and a rent payment day when you can end the tenancy.

So provided you serve notice in time, you can end on the 7th, 8th or any subsequent rent payment date
    • Mutton Geoff
    • By Mutton Geoff 3rd Oct 17, 7:36 PM
    • 999 Posts
    • 1,042 Thanks
    Mutton Geoff
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:36 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:36 PM
    Looks like a bodged version of standard break clause agreement. You can give 60 days (2 months) notice after 4th month to leave at end of 6th month (the min let period) so no need to wait until eight months.
    Compensations/Refunds from Banks & Institutions - £4,165 | Stooz Profits - £7,636 | Quidco - £4,014

All with a big thank you to Martin and MSE.com from Mutton Geoff!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,810Posts Today

7,916Users online

Martin's Twitter