Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kah22
    • By kah22 3rd Oct 17, 3:43 PM
    • 1,285Posts
    • 457Thanks
    kah22
    Wood Supply
    • 3rd Oct 17, 3:43 PM
    Wood Supply 3rd Oct 17 at 3:43 PM
    After two bits of information

First can anyone tell me of hardwood suppliers who will deliver to Armagh City?

Secondly, whatís the going price for wood in your area
    I used to be indecisive,but now I'm not so sure.
Page 1
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 3rd Oct 17, 5:33 PM
    • 15,557 Posts
    • 8,906 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 3rd Oct 17, 5:33 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 5:33 PM
    After two bits of information

First can anyone tell me of hardwood suppliers who will deliver to Armagh City?

Secondly, whatís the going price for wood in your area
    Originally posted by kah22
    Not sure if these guys will do what you need, but we used them as pretty much the goto place when we were building our house, and they have a timber yard attached from memory.

http://www.killeenhardware.co.uk/

Not hard to pay, good rep and cheap prices.
    You are not special. You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake.
    • kah22
    • By kah22 3rd Oct 17, 11:19 PM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    kah22
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:19 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:19 PM
    Tanks Mororguy, I know Killeen Hardware pretty well, never thought of them though. Will give them a call
    • wotnoshoeseh
    • By wotnoshoeseh 4th Oct 17, 6:36 AM
    • 212 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    wotnoshoeseh
    • 4th Oct 17, 6:36 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 6:36 AM
    If you have a sawmills close at hand sometimes they are a good option. Sawmill close to me sells you a builders bag (1 tonne bag) for around £35. Last year, I bought two bags and am still working off it, so don't know what the current rate is though.
    Cheers,
    wotnoshoeseh
    • kah22
    • By kah22 4th Oct 17, 10:24 AM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    kah22
    • 4th Oct 17, 10:24 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 10:24 AM
    We have a sawmill close by, McKinneys. Bought a builders bag from them last year but forget the price but honestly I wouldn't go back to them their blocks were all shapes and sizes and they didn't do delivery
    I have been making a few inquiries and £55- £60 seems to be a guide ptice
    • kah22
    • By kah22 5th Oct 17, 1:10 AM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    kah22
    • 5th Oct 17, 1:10 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 1:10 AM
    Just to let you know how Iím getting on. Iíve been in contact with a supplier who sells 12 nets of birch at £74, 24 nets of birch at £134, 12 nets of ash at £76, 24 nets of ash at £138. He states that thee nets actually work out cheaper than the builders bags and that 16 nets would fill a dumpy bag (these are kiln dried)

However, Iíve been looking at heat logs for wood burners and see that Home Bargins sell a Verdo Wood 576 Briquettes (Pallet) Inc. Home Delivery at £279 A bit of research seems to suggest these types of briquettes are better overall value than logs, Iíll try a six pack at £2.79 just to see how effective they are. Just have to see if they sell pallets in NI. Hopefully my local Home Bargins will stock the six packs
    • saverbuyer
    • By saverbuyer 5th Oct 17, 7:39 AM
    • 2,443 Posts
    • 1,401 Thanks
    saverbuyer
    • 5th Oct 17, 7:39 AM
    • 5th Oct 17, 7:39 AM
    Just to let you know how Iím getting on. Iíve been in contact with a supplier who sells 12 nets of birch at £74, 24 nets of birch at £134, 12 nets of ash at £76, 24 nets of ash at £138. He states that thee nets actually work out cheaper than the builders bags and that 16 nets would fill a dumpy bag (these are kiln dried)

However, Iíve been looking at heat logs for wood burners and see that Home Bargins sell a Verdo Wood 576 Briquettes (Pallet) Inc. Home Delivery at £279 A bit of research seems to suggest these types of briquettes are better overall value than logs, Iíll try a six pack at £2.79 just to see how effective they are. Just have to see if they sell pallets in NI. Hopefully my local Home Bargins will stock the six packs
    I use the Verdi logs. You can get them in home bargains in Boucher if you want to try and few packs.
    • kah22
    • By kah22 5th Oct 17, 4:11 PM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    kah22
    • 5th Oct 17, 4:11 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 4:11 PM
    Iím not having much luck 😫. Visited my local Home Bargins today and they donít seem to stock them. Itís a new store so maybe the full range of goods hasnít appeared yet. I have contacted Home Bargins asking if theyíll becoming to Armagh

Saverbuyer what do you think of the logs are they as effective as the sales patter?

Kevin
    • Witless
    • By Witless 5th Oct 17, 10:43 PM
    • 534 Posts
    • 2,068 Thanks
    Witless
    • 5th Oct 17, 10:43 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 10:43 PM
    ..... I have contacted Home Bargins asking if theyíll becoming to Armagh.....

Kevin
    https://storelocator.homebargains.co.uk/store/A615/Railway+Street,+Armagh
    • saverbuyer
    • By saverbuyer 6th Oct 17, 4:41 PM
    • 2,443 Posts
    • 1,401 Thanks
    saverbuyer
    Iím not having much luck 😫. Visited my local Home Bargins today and they donít seem to stock them. Itís a new store so maybe the full range of goods hasnít appeared yet. I have contacted Home Bargins asking if theyíll becoming to Armagh

Saverbuyer what do you think of the logs are they as effective as the sales patter?

Kevin
    I honestly think they're great. You get a good couple of hours heat from one log. I used mine with some smokeless.
    • kah22
    • By kah22 6th Oct 17, 7:17 PM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 457 Thanks
    kah22
    Well my local Home Bargins are not stopping them - Yet.

Reading their web site closer I discovered that you could order on line and collect in store, so I ordered two in the hope that they just won’t send two briquettes but a full box. So if good I can buy more, if of no use then it’s just over a fiver that I’ve lost. I’ll let you know what’s happenin.

Unfortunately mines a wood burner not a multi burner so smokeless would be out
    Last edited by kah22; 06-10-2017 at 7:20 PM.
    • saverbuyer
    • By saverbuyer 6th Oct 17, 8:31 PM
    • 2,443 Posts
    • 1,401 Thanks
    saverbuyer
    Well my local Home Bargins are not stopping them - Yet.

Reading their web site closer I discovered that you could order on line and collect in store, so I ordered two in the hope that they just wonít send two briquettes but a full box. So if good I can buy more, if of no use then itís just over a fiver that Iíve lost. Iíll let you know whatís happenin.

Unfortunately mines a wood burner not a multi burner so smokeless would be out
    Put them on the fire when it's going. Don't try and start a fire with them. I find them difficult to get going. They're so compacted.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,914Posts Today

7,129Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin