Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ohwhatatodo
    • By ohwhatatodo 3rd Oct 17, 3:23 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ohwhatatodo
    Road change result in fine but only know of it from collection agency
    • 3rd Oct 17, 3:23 PM
    Road change result in fine but only know of it from collection agency 3rd Oct 17 at 3:23 PM
    Hi everyone

We just received an email from a collection agency for two driving infringements that happened on one day, after the local authority changed a section of the road to buses and taxis only.

We never received the PCN after this happened and the collection agency email was the first we heard of this.

It is a route we used to drive everyday twice a day and at the time the signs weren't clear that it was buses/taxis only.

A lot of people were caught out and as soon as we realised we stopped using the route.

So we now have an email saying we owe £754.00 for these infringements. The two charges were at £200 each on the same day, so a total of £400 for the fine itself.

Apparently the council sent the original notices to our old address. My husband updated the dvla site with some additional details earlier this year and that seems to have triggered the email.

We have been at our current address for 3 years and the dvla tax reminders have been received at this address.

So, is there anything we can do to
    1) appeal the charges in the first place...? I think the infringement was about 15months ago.
    2) appeal based on the fact that they didn't contact us at the correct address in the first place so the charges kept being added to?
    3) appeal the hefty charges of £354.00?

I realise that we were in the wrong to drive through that section of the road but at the time the road change sort of appeared overnight with no warning and it felt more like a chicane to control traffic speed rather than a restriction.

We will of course pay this if we have to, but just wondering if there is anything we can do to reduce the amount?

Many thanks in advance,
    Last edited by ohwhatatodo; 03-10-2017 at 3:26 PM.
Page 1
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 3rd Oct 17, 3:40 PM
    • 3,309 Posts
    • 3,347 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 3:40 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 3:40 PM
    Take this to Pepipoo - they'll be able to help you through this.

Don't try to register there with a Hotmail address.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 3rd Oct 17, 5:46 PM
    • 11,609 Posts
    • 6,508 Thanks
    Strider590
    • 3rd Oct 17, 5:46 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 5:46 PM
    Smells fishy, hope you manage to sort it out.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • ohwhatatodo
    • By ohwhatatodo 3rd Oct 17, 10:53 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ohwhatatodo
    • 3rd Oct 17, 10:53 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 10:53 PM
    thanks Doam and Strider for your replies.

It's really upsetting and feels very unfair. Will look at the Pepipoo site.

Fingers crossed.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 3rd Oct 17, 11:08 PM
    • 2,286 Posts
    • 1,470 Thanks
    Car 54
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:08 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:08 PM

So, is there anything we can do to
    1) appeal the charges in the first place...? I think the infringement was about 15months ago.
    2) appeal based on the fact that they didn't contact us at the correct address in the first place so the charges kept being added to?
    3) appeal the hefty charges of £354.00?
    Originally posted by ohwhatatodo
    1. Probably not, unless you can prove that the signs were deficient.

2. At the bottom of Page 2 of your V5C you will find a DOCREF with the date that the change of address was made. If that was before the offence, then the council have indeed used the wrong offence, and you've a good case to have the £354 waived. Otherwise, they've used the correct address ad you've no case.

3. See 2.
    • cjdavies
    • By cjdavies 4th Oct 17, 12:07 AM
    • 2,700 Posts
    • 2,653 Thanks
    cjdavies
    • 4th Oct 17, 12:07 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 12:07 AM
    Hi everyone

We just received an email from a collection agency for two driving infringements that happened on one day, after the local authority changed a section of the road to buses and taxis only.

We never received the PCN after this happened and the collection agency email was the first we heard of this.
    Originally posted by ohwhatatodo
    How did they get your email address? Sounds like a scam.
    • debtdebt
    • By debtdebt 4th Oct 17, 2:17 PM
    • 306 Posts
    • 187 Thanks
    debtdebt
    • 4th Oct 17, 2:17 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 2:17 PM
    Did the offence occur before you effected the change of address? If it did, you have nobody else to blame other than yourself. Just think, it could have been worse and you could have had points on your licence instead of a fine.
    • GunJack
    • By GunJack 4th Oct 17, 3:26 PM
    • 9,787 Posts
    • 7,292 Thanks
    GunJack
    • 4th Oct 17, 3:26 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 3:26 PM
    Have you contacted the council about this?? Best see if they have any record of this alleged offence??
    ......Gettin' There, Wherever There is......
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 4th Oct 17, 9:59 PM
    • 1,313 Posts
    • 906 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:59 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:59 PM
    Collection agencies don't email you, they write to you. Emailing the address iluvboobies1969@hotmail.com that you've never given anyone in officialdom is neither guaranteed to be the person they're supposed to be contacting nor is it likely to be deemed as valid delivery of a notification. Smells of a scam. Unless you've received something by post ignore it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

84Posts Today

2,192Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @furyboy86: @MartinSLewis I read your email, and decided to check my account interest rates. My main account = 0.0%(!) and my cash ISA =?

• Yes. Theyre being paid. They're responsible. Especially for a scam that's been reported over 20 times andseen vulne? https://t.co/Q0pHZ7iH3W

• Quite right.Broken system as the six week delay forces the most vulnerable into debt at a crisis moment https://t.co/951fogq5ej

• Follow Martin