Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 3rd Oct 17, 3:11 PM
    • 9,834Posts
    • 51,608Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    0 WOW
    Maybe I'm missing something, but ...............
    • 3rd Oct 17, 3:11 PM
    0 WOW
    Maybe I'm missing something, but ............... 3rd Oct 17 at 3:11 PM
    Maybe I'm missing something, but, why doesn't Ryanair hire some of the, now jobless, Monarch pilots, so they don't have to cancel any more of their flights?
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - £1161
Page 2
    • codger
    • By codger 4th Oct 17, 3:16 PM
    • 1,451 Posts
    • 2,240 Thanks
    codger
    Mea culpa, and apologies. Monarch's inability to operate, including its inability to make ATOL payments, led me to think -- erroneously -- that the bill for bringing its customers home would have to be met from the public purse.

Thanks to contributors to this thread, I've now looked into the Air Travel Trust, administered by the CAA's Consumer & Markets Group. As of March this year, the ATT had a £145 million surplus.

'Course, that doesn't mean that the Monarch hit will leave everything and everyone unscathed. If as a result, ATT contributions are pushed up from £2.50 per fare to £3.00 to make up for costs incurred, then that increase will be passed on.
    • budgetflyer
    • By budgetflyer 5th Oct 17, 6:35 AM
    • 5,653 Posts
    • 3,617 Thanks
    budgetflyer
    I wonder who trained all these disgruntled Ryanair pilots and gave them their first job?
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 5th Oct 17, 9:00 AM
    • 4,760 Posts
    • 3,883 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    hen he wouldn't be unemployed.

if there is nothing else but unemployment what does he do?
    Originally posted by sheramber
    There are plenty of expanding airlines around the world looking for experienced pilots. If you fly around Asia you will find a lot of British and European pilots
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 5th Oct 17, 11:43 AM
    • 3,621 Posts
    • 7,973 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    I wonder who trained all these disgruntled Ryanair pilots and gave them their first job?
    Originally posted by budgetflyer
    Ryanair provide training to pilots in the specific plane that Ryanair operate. The pilots must pay Ryanair for this training, it is not given for free, and they must already have the theory and simulator / small plane hours before Ryanair will take them on. This will also have been self funded, at a cost of many tens of thousands of pounds.

One of my former co-workers left to become a pilot (not with Ryanair). He did the theory and initial hours while still working here, though he took something like two or three months off at one point for a training course. What it all cost him was staggering.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 5th Oct 17, 11:48 AM
    • 31,942 Posts
    • 37,677 Thanks
    Browntoa
    most pilots send up with around £100,000 of debt before they earn a penny commercially , although the pay is good once you start and most clear the debt quickly

https://www.flightdeckfriend.com/becoming-an-airline-pilot-faq

Depending on which route you take, you can expect to pay between £40,000 and £120,000 to train as a commercial airline pilot. There are now many airlines who now charge you for your “type rating” when they offer you a job offer which is typically an additional £20,000 – £35,000

A Type Rating is a qualification to fly a specific model of aircraft. Any aircraft which has a maximum take off weight of more than 5,700 kgs or is turbine powered requires a type rating to operate it. A type rating course consists of a technical ground school course, covering the aircrafts systems and performance, and a simulator course, where you learn to fly the aircraft in normal and emergency situations for approximately 30 hours.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • bagand96
    • By bagand96 5th Oct 17, 11:42 PM
    • 2,777 Posts
    • 1,721 Thanks
    bagand96
    "the rest of us are stuck with the £30 million bill (or more) for flying Monarch customers home again"

An incorrect statement - the taxpayer does not cover the bill.

ATOL exists to cover this situation.

For every airline ticket sold the airline pays the CAA for ATOL Protection Insurance - it's £2.50 a ticket.

One reason Monarch went down is they couldn't afford the ATOL payments.
    Originally posted by daveyjp
    Monarch flight only (booked after December 2016) were not covered by ATOL, as is the case with nearly all airlines. So nobody on a Monarch flight only booking is ATOL protected, and this is the majority of bookings (Monarch Holidays were only 5% of their sales... although there will be more booked on other agents ATOLs).

However the DfT and CAA have decided to unilaterally repatriate everybody regardless. This means the majority are getting repatriated free of charge when they have no right to under ATOL as they aren’t covered.

It can’t be assumed that ATOL will automatically foot the entire bill. ATOL, the Air Travel Trust is a fund managed by trustees, with strict rules on when it can and can’t pay. It’s unlikely those trustees will just approve the raiding of the ATT fund to pay for this mass repatriation. They will only wish to pay for those actually covered with ATOL certificates.

Government / CAA may wish to attempt a change to the rules or try and use the ATT fund regardless. This would be met with fierce opposition from across the industry as it would seriously undermine the ATOL scheme and bonded agents.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,942Posts Today

7,736Users online

Martin's Twitter