Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • aroominyork
    • By aroominyork 3rd Oct 17, 3:07 PM
    • 297Posts
    • 72Thanks
    aroominyork
    Lifetime gifts question
    • 3rd Oct 17, 3:07 PM
    Lifetime gifts question 3rd Oct 17 at 3:07 PM
    My father is elderly and increasingly frail and for the last few years has been paying for various family members' holidays so he can see us enjoy them. I have two tax questions about IHT and lifetime gifts when he eventually dies. First, if he transfers say £6000 to me for me and my wife to have a holiday, will that be recognised as £3000 each and hence allowable as a lifetime gift, or will it all be attributed to the person whose bank account received it? Second, is it right that the seven year taper period is reset to zero each time a new gift is given, so that if he makes a new gift today, a gift given five years ago now has to run another seven years before being IHT-exempt?
Page 1
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 3rd Oct 17, 4:50 PM
    • 23,644 Posts
    • 13,776 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 3rd Oct 17, 4:50 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 4:50 PM
    http://justwillsandlegalservices.co.uk/latest-news/the-7-year-rule-inheritance-tax-and-lifetime-gifts/
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 3rd Oct 17, 4:54 PM
    • 4,074 Posts
    • 4,436 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • 3rd Oct 17, 4:54 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 4:54 PM
    Assuming this is the only gifting of this type in the financiL year this gift will use up all of his annual allowace, so £3000 of it will effectively stay in his estate for the next 7 years. You can adjust that slightly in that he could give you £5750, and the remaining £25O to your wife, as you can give as many individuals £250 as you like and that money will drop straight out of his estate.

Does not really matter if each gift goes into the same joint account, as long as he keeps good records.

Taper relief only applies if your gifting exceeds your nil rate band so unless he has gifted over £325k you can forget that.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 3rd Oct 17, 5:13 PM
    • 30,781 Posts
    • 18,387 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 3rd Oct 17, 5:13 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 5:13 PM
    Each gift runs it's own time line and drops out at 7 years.
    • Linton
    • By Linton 3rd Oct 17, 6:41 PM
    • 8,621 Posts
    • 8,589 Thanks
    Linton
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:41 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:41 PM
    My father is elderly and increasingly frail and for the last few years has been paying for various family members' holidays so he can see us enjoy them. I have two tax questions about IHT and lifetime gifts when he eventually dies. First, if he transfers say £6000 to me for me and my wife to have a holiday, will that be recognised as £3000 each and hence allowable as a lifetime gift, or will it all be attributed to the person whose bank account received it? Second, is it right that the seven year taper period is reset to zero each time a new gift is given, so that if he makes a new gift today, a gift given five years ago now has to run another seven years before being IHT-exempt?
    Originally posted by aroominyork
    It's £3000 total per year not per gift for obvious reasons.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,124Posts Today

7,687Users online

Martin's Twitter