Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Flo123
    • By Flo123 3rd Oct 17, 3:06 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Flo123
    0 WOW
    Missed flight as travel agent failed to tell me it went the day before!
    • 3rd Oct 17, 3:06 PM
    0 WOW
    Missed flight as travel agent failed to tell me it went the day before! 3rd Oct 17 at 3:06 PM
    Hello, I was wondering if anyone could please give me some advice.

We booked a holiday with On The Beach and after arriving at the airport was told that our flight had gone 24 hours before! On the beach failed to tell us about this change they said it got overlooked.
    We rang them from the airport (charged us £20 for the call!) and they said they would get us on the next flight which they did and we were very grateful. We had to wait over 3 hours for our new flight (from our original flight time).

I emailed on the beach and they’ve said we can have 10% of our holiday cost back and a 5% voucher off the next holiday we book with them!
    Just wanted some expert advice before I reply.
    Do you think this is a fair amount to refund?

Many thanks
Page 1
    • Oakdene
    • By Oakdene 3rd Oct 17, 3:11 PM
    • 1,260 Posts
    • 3,175 Thanks
    Oakdene
    • 3rd Oct 17, 3:11 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 3:11 PM
    10% of your holiday sounds ok, I would want the money back for the phone call too. Whilst 3 hours is a pain, its not the end of the world.
    Hiraeth
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 3rd Oct 17, 3:26 PM
    • 2,844 Posts
    • 1,237 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 3rd Oct 17, 3:26 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 3:26 PM
    Who charged you £20 for a call?
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 3rd Oct 17, 3:28 PM
    • 651 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    • 3rd Oct 17, 3:28 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 3:28 PM
    I assume you'll be returning a day earlier as well?
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 3rd Oct 17, 3:43 PM
    • 2,703 Posts
    • 1,811 Thanks
    jpsartre
    • 3rd Oct 17, 3:43 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 3:43 PM
    For a 3 hour delay it's a pretty decent offer IMO. Hindsight is everything of course but these kinds of situations are why it's a good idea to look up your booking online from time to time.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 3rd Oct 17, 3:54 PM
    • 651 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    • 3rd Oct 17, 3:54 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 3:54 PM
    For a 3 hour delay it's a pretty decent offer IMO.
    Originally posted by jpsartre
    It's actually a 27 hour (24+3) delay though isn't it? The OP has already missed out on a day of the holiday, unless they are still returning on the original date and not 24 hours earlier.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 3rd Oct 17, 4:01 PM
    • 2,703 Posts
    • 1,811 Thanks
    jpsartre
    • 3rd Oct 17, 4:01 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 4:01 PM
    I got the impression the OP was already back from their holiday and thought they would have mentioned if the holiday had been cut short. But perhaps that was an incorrect assumption?
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 3rd Oct 17, 4:02 PM
    • 1,444 Posts
    • 972 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    • 3rd Oct 17, 4:02 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 4:02 PM
    Surely you reconfirmed your booking at some point before leaving, or didn't you check it at all after you booked it? Lccs/charter airlines usually have it as part of their T&Cs, and last minute time changes show up when you check in online (unless you check in ridiculously early). If you do check in early you still need to check your bookings regularly.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 3rd Oct 17, 4:13 PM
    • 651 Posts
    • 647 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    • 3rd Oct 17, 4:13 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 4:13 PM
    I got the impression the OP was already back from their holiday and thought they would have mentioned if the holiday had been cut short. But perhaps that was an incorrect assumption?
    Originally posted by jpsartre
    I don't know, we need more details!

I had a problem with wrong hotel booking when I went to Marrakech a couple of years ago and sorted it all out through the internet with the holiday company whilst I was still there.
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 3rd Oct 17, 5:13 PM
    • 10,810 Posts
    • 7,043 Thanks
    Caz3121
    how long ago had the flight changed? when did you last check the booking?
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 4th Oct 17, 9:35 AM
    • 6,977 Posts
    • 8,589 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    How much is 10% of the holiday?
    • Flo123
    • By Flo123 4th Oct 17, 9:41 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Flo123
    Hi, on the beach charged me £20 for the call and EE charged me £2.74!
    • Flo123
    • By Flo123 4th Oct 17, 9:54 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Flo123
    Many thanks for all your reply’s. You’ve all been so helpful.
    I think I’ll accept their offer. It’s just nice to get other people’s views.
    The holiday wasn’t cut short we still had 7 days.
    On the Beach charged me £20 for the 47 minute phone call which I’ll try and get back and then EE have charged me £2.74!
    I didn’t check the flight times online before we went but will definitely do this next time now! I suppose I just expected On The Beach to let us know of any change.

Thanks again for replying
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,126Posts Today

8,767Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin