Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LilNic
    • By LilNic 3rd Oct 17, 2:34 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    LilNic
    0 WOW
    Monarch-unable to find return flights
    • 3rd Oct 17, 2:34 PM
    0 WOW
    Monarch-unable to find return flights 3rd Oct 17 at 2:34 PM
    Looking for advice. I have a flight with Easyjet flying to Portugal on 22nd Oct. Due to fly back with Monarch on 30th Oct- which is AFTER the date that the CAA are offering to fly everyone home free of charge.

I paid for the tickets on credit card and have initiated a section 75 with my credit card company so should get money back however finding return tickets is proving IMPOSSIBLE due to little availability and the fact that all airlines appear to be cashing in on the situation by tripling prices.

Paid £408 for my 4 return flights with Monarch (Faro-Birmingham) yet the cheapest tickets I have found to the closest date is £1,240. I can't afford this !!!!!!!!!

Can anyone help?
Page 1
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 3rd Oct 17, 3:04 PM
    • 36,057 Posts
    • 151,648 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 3rd Oct 17, 3:04 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 3:04 PM
    Also look for return flights - they may work out cheaper and it will give you more airport options.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 3rd Oct 17, 3:50 PM
    • 10,300 Posts
    • 6,605 Thanks
    bigadaj
    • 3rd Oct 17, 3:50 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 3:50 PM
    Looking for advice. I have a flight with Easyjet flying to Portugal on 22nd Oct. Due to fly back with Monarch on 30th Oct- which is AFTER the date that the CAA are offering to fly everyone home free of charge.

I paid for the tickets on credit card and have initiated a section 75 with my credit card company so should get money back however finding return tickets is proving IMPOSSIBLE due to little availability and the fact that all airlines appear to be cashing in on the situation by tripling prices.

Paid £408 for my 4 return flights with Monarch (Faro-Birmingham) yet the cheapest tickets I have found to the closest date is £1,240. I can't afford this !!!!!!!!!

Can anyone help?
    Originally posted by LilNic
    Have you looked from other airports, Lisbon or somewhere in Spain that isn't too far such as Seville or even Malaga?
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 3rd Oct 17, 4:03 PM
    • 1,444 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    • 3rd Oct 17, 4:03 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 4:03 PM
    Doesn't your travel insurance cover supplier failure?
    • Nick_C
    • By Nick_C 3rd Oct 17, 4:38 PM
    • 2,814 Posts
    • 3,783 Thanks
    Nick_C
    • 3rd Oct 17, 4:38 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 4:38 PM
    Train to Lisbon. Fly LIS to BHX via Brussels. £773

Or LIS to Gatwick via Madrid for £441

Lots of options if you can be flexible
    • dj1471
    • By dj1471 3rd Oct 17, 5:48 PM
    • 873 Posts
    • 575 Thanks
    dj1471
    • 3rd Oct 17, 5:48 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 5:48 PM
    Section 75 covers consequential loss so should cover the cost of a replacement flight, rather than only refunding the original purchase price.
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 3rd Oct 17, 5:51 PM
    • 60,259 Posts
    • 352,061 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 3rd Oct 17, 5:51 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 5:51 PM
    Simon Calder, the travel chap on the BBC News in the mornings, suggested that prices will be much higher, so look at the options of flying somewhere else and catching a train across. No idea if that's feasible... but to save £800 it's worth looking into as "the only option possible"
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 3rd Oct 17, 5:57 PM
    • 12,881 Posts
    • 17,050 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    • 3rd Oct 17, 5:57 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 5:57 PM
    Doesn't your travel insurance cover supplier failure?
    Originally posted by leylandsunaddict
    It wouldn't be that unusual if it didn't.

Mine doesn't, although I have added it as a separate policy for a booked long haul trip that wasn't paid for by credit card.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • leylandsunaddict
    • By leylandsunaddict 3rd Oct 17, 6:02 PM
    • 1,444 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    leylandsunaddict
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:02 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:02 PM
    It wouldn't be that unusual if it didn't.

Mine doesn't, although I have added it as a separate policy for a booked long haul trip that wasn't paid for by credit card.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    But surely if someone is travelling on other than a package holiday you make sure you buy a policy that does cover? If you don't you know the risks of self insuring that side of things.

I wouldn't buy a policy that doesn't cover it because I don't book package holidays. Mine also covers airspace/airport closure and consequential loss is covered under the Travel Disruption section.
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 3rd Oct 17, 6:28 PM
    • 7,166 Posts
    • 9,431 Thanks
    jackieblack
    But surely if someone is travelling on other than a package holiday you make sure you buy a policy that does cover? If you don't you know the risks of self insuring that side of things.

I wouldn't buy a policy that doesn't cover it because I don't book package holidays. Mine also covers airspace/airport closure and consequential loss is covered under the Travel Disruption section.
    Out of interest, would you mind revealing who your policy is with?
    (Sorry to go off topic)
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 3rd Oct 17, 6:28 PM
    • 12,881 Posts
    • 17,050 Thanks
    Gloomendoom

My travel insurance is bundled in with my bank account. Oddly enough, it does cover the other risks you mention.

It isn't particularly expensive to add separately as and when required (£5 per person). If credit cards are used for payment, the risk can be minimised.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • AlSto
    • By AlSto 3rd Oct 17, 7:23 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    AlSto
    Flying indirect brings the price down to under £200 per person
    • eamon
    • By eamon 4th Oct 17, 2:52 PM
    • 1,559 Posts
    • 1,100 Thanks
    eamon
    Wow. Just been exploring options for the OP. Getting back will not be cheap. I'm beginning to think that travelling via another country or two may be the only way to try and keep within or close to the original budget.

I think that Mondays in particular Oct 30th must be an expensive day to fly anywhere. I've looked at various options Faro to Barcelona, Paris, Amsterdam, Brussels & Dublin. Lisbon to the above as well and can't get anything below €1200 for 4. Also suspect a bit of price gouging as well as Monarchs competitors now know that there are many thousands of passengers with no return flight.

After much research the best option imho is as follows but you will need an extra days holiday to allow for the extra travel times.
    Sleeper train Faro to Madrid, leave Monday 30th arrive in Madrid Tuesday 31st
    https://www.cp.pt/sites/passageiros/en/train-times/Train-time-results
    Using Skyscanner I found this
    https://www.skyscanner.net/transport/flights/mad/bhx/171031/airfares-from-madrid-to-birmingham-in-october-2017.html?adults=4&children=0&adultsv2=4&childrenv 2=&infants=0&cabinclass=economy&rtn=0&preferdirect s=false&outboundaltsenabled=false&inboundaltsenabl ed=false&ref=day-view#results

Train for 4 people = €437.60
    Flight for 4 people = £274.00
    There may be taxes on top of these.
    Last edited by eamon; 04-10-2017 at 3:58 PM. Reason: More info & forgot the prices
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

86Posts Today

2,054Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @furyboy86: @MartinSLewis I read your email, and decided to check my account interest rates. My main account = 0.0%(!) and my cash ISA =?

• Yes. Theyre being paid. They're responsible. Especially for a scam that's been reported over 20 times andseen vulne? https://t.co/Q0pHZ7iH3W

• Quite right.Broken system as the six week delay forces the most vulnerable into debt at a crisis moment https://t.co/951fogq5ej

• Follow Martin