Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    • ajstar
    • By ajstar 3rd Oct 17, 2:26 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Query about the insurance clause in my tenancy agreement.
    • #1
    • 3rd Oct 17, 2:26 PM
    Query about the insurance clause in my tenancy agreement. 3rd Oct 17 at 2:26 PM
    Hi all,

    I am new to home and contents insurance as I was previously covered under my parents' policy so I'm hoping you can provide me with some insight.

    I'm renting a property and in my tenancy agreement there is a clause about insurance, specifically to:

    'obtain and maintain a policy of insurance with a reputable insurance company to provide not less than £2500 of cover for accidental damage to the Landlord's property, fixtures and fittings and possessions'.

    The house is furnished. Is this clause typical of a tenancy agreement? My previous agreements have not had this but they were student rentals. I assumed we would just need to get contents insurance but 'property, fixtures and fittings' sounds like I will need to get home insurance too. Am I correct? And doesn't the landlord already have to have insurance to cover this themselves?

    TIA for your advice.
Page 1
    • Aretnap
    • By Aretnap 3rd Oct 17, 5:00 PM
    • 2,939 Posts
    • 2,451 Thanks
    • #2
    • 3rd Oct 17, 5:00 PM
    • #2
    • 3rd Oct 17, 5:00 PM
    It's not asking you to take out full buildings insurance. Most contents policies aimed at tenants will include tenant's liability cover - ie cover damage you cause to the landlord's property for which you'd otherwise be liable personally. It's worthwhile having this anyway, as otherwise if you, say, carelessly left a tap running and flooded the bathroom you could end up having to pay for quite a lot of damage yourself.

    If the landlord has a mortgage he'll have to have buildings cover of his own; if he doesn't then it's his choice whether to insure his property or not. In any event (a) a building's policy won't always cover accidental damage and (b) your own liability for damage you cause isn't affected by the landlord's insurance situation. His insurance is there to protect him; yours is there to protect you.
    • ajstar
    • By ajstar 3rd Oct 17, 11:52 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    • #3
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:52 PM
    • #3
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:52 PM
    Thanks for your reply. So then I should be looking for a contents only insurance aimed specifically at renters that has some sort of accidental damage cover in it?
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 4th Oct 17, 10:05 AM
    • 34,555 Posts
    • 18,531 Thanks
    • #4
    • 4th Oct 17, 10:05 AM
    • #4
    • 4th Oct 17, 10:05 AM
    Yes .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,346Posts Today

8,023Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Thanks for all the tweets this week. I'm about to sign off for the weekend. See you next week. Have a good one. Martin

  • RT @TimesMoney: Is this how you feel about your student loan? @MartinSLewis has some advice for you. Read our exclusive interview in @Times?

  • RT @brokenbottleboy: @MartinSLewis I look better now than I did when I was in my twenties. Grey hair has been a good thing!

  • Follow Martin