Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • wallacehome
    • By wallacehome 3rd Oct 17, 1:58 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 1Thanks
    wallacehome
    Wifes car accident affecting my bike insurance ?
    • 3rd Oct 17, 1:58 PM
    Wifes car accident affecting my bike insurance ? 3rd Oct 17 at 1:58 PM
    Hello all,

2 years ago my wife was involved in an accident whilst driving my car as a named driver on my policy. I can just about accept that "I" made a claim and so have to declare it, but when I come to insure my motorbike I still have to declare it (and the premium goes up) even though my wife does not hold a motorcycle license and so is not on the policy. I know this doesn't sound fair but is it actually legal as the "risk" that had the accident is not on this policy ?

I assume its legal as they wouldn't do it otherwise ........... ?

Any thoughts ?
Page 1
    • missile
    • By missile 3rd Oct 17, 2:17 PM
    • 8,948 Posts
    • 4,336 Thanks
    missile
    • 3rd Oct 17, 2:17 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 2:17 PM
    You made a claim and are considered a higher risk than someone who has not. Insurance classify as fault / no fault / vandalism. It would be difficult and prohibitively expensive to cater for every possible variation.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • Aretnap
    • By Aretnap 3rd Oct 17, 2:24 PM
    • 2,775 Posts
    • 2,216 Thanks
    Aretnap
    • 3rd Oct 17, 2:24 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 2:24 PM
    Legally the starting point is that an insurer can set its prices any way it likes, unless there's a law that prevents they doing so. The Equality Act prevents them from charging different prices on the basis of race or sex; the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act prevents them from discriminating on the basis of (most) convictions which are more than 5 years old. I don't think there's any law which would require them to charge you a different rate based on whether or not your wife has a motorbike licence.

What (in theory) prevents you being unfairly overcharged for irrelevant factors is not the law, but the fact that the market is highly competitive, especially in the days where you can get dozens of quotes in a few minutes via a price comparison site. And so if the factor is genuinely irrelevant and you're genuinely low risk then an enterprising insurer should jump at the chance to get your business by offering you a cheaper quote.

(That's the theory of course. In practice there are limits to how well it works. People don't want to fill out a 30 page form detailing the precise details of every incident they've ever had every time they apply for a quote, and insurers may not have the data systems to handle that level of detail even if customers were willing to provide it, so prices tend to based on a relatively small number of variables, which can't always cater perfectly to every conceivable set of circumstances)

For what it's worth the fact that you made a claim isn't just relevant to how likely you are to have another accident - it's also relevant to how likely you are to claim for that accident. If a car has a slight knock and gets a minor dent some people will either live with the dent or fix it themselves, others will involve their insurers and want the dent fixing to an as new standard. Insurers obviously prefer customers who are in the former category; the fact that you've made a recent claim might be taken as a sign that you're in the latter category, even if it wasn't you who was driving at the time.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

65Posts Today

3,076Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin