Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GTR King
    • By GTR King 3rd Oct 17, 1:57 PM
    • 723Posts
    • 134Thanks
    GTR King
    MacBook Pro Issue
    • 3rd Oct 17, 1:57 PM
    MacBook Pro Issue 3rd Oct 17 at 1:57 PM
    Ok so I have MacBook Pro 2012 13inch unibody....

I don't know whats wrong with it....

But every time I use it the cursor goes AWOL and starts moving all over the screen and clicking on random things and opening things, I can only use the track pad with one finger (Some times 2 fingers). When I Type sometimes it will delete sentences/words when using Facebook/forums etc

I can use MacBook but it's hard to use...

Is this gonna be a costly fix?? Or Should I buy new MacBook Pro (Bit Expensive at moment)
Page 1
    • hans 2
    • By hans 2 3rd Oct 17, 2:52 PM
    • 399 Posts
    • 232 Thanks
    hans 2
    • 3rd Oct 17, 2:52 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 2:52 PM
    Try cleaning the gap around track pad with the edge of a sheet of paper.
    • chib
    • By chib 3rd Oct 17, 2:56 PM
    • 466 Posts
    • 1,298 Thanks
    chib
    • 3rd Oct 17, 2:56 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 2:56 PM
    Has anything been spilled on it?

As a temporary workaround, you could use a mouse/trackpad. A bluetooth mouse will work natively with your MBP.
    • GTR King
    • By GTR King 3rd Oct 17, 3:05 PM
    • 723 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    GTR King
    • 3rd Oct 17, 3:05 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 3:05 PM
    Thanks I have checked it to see if it’s dirt etc but had no luck so far
    • GTR King
    • By GTR King 3rd Oct 17, 7:10 PM
    • 723 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    GTR King
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:10 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:10 PM
    Update I Think it track pad thats making my MacBook Pro acting funny, think there is dust inside or something as work sometimes, and it don't I blow on it/wipe it. it works again so might need a good clean
    • SouthUKMan
    • By SouthUKMan 3rd Oct 17, 10:19 PM
    • 371 Posts
    • 298 Thanks
    SouthUKMan
    • 3rd Oct 17, 10:19 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 10:19 PM
    If it is 'just' the trackpad that has gone faulty then in MacBook Pro terms this is a relatively simple and cheap fix. Personally I would take it to a couple of independent service centres for a quote.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 3rd Oct 17, 10:31 PM
    • 1,742 Posts
    • 1,197 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 3rd Oct 17, 10:31 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 10:31 PM
    Are you still using a geniune Apple charger? I've seen this happen on numerous laptops when using cheap Chinese third party ones due to the amount of electrical hash the charger gives off.

As SouthUKMan says, its not that bad a repair. The 2012 MBP is fairly easy to take to bits.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 4th Oct 17, 9:00 AM
    • 3,271 Posts
    • 1,485 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:00 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:00 AM
    As a temporary workaround, you could use a mouse/trackpad. A bluetooth mouse will work natively with your MBP.
    Originally posted by chib
    Yep, try a mouse with trackpad disabled...

Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature because somebody complained that the information contained within it was too helpful.
    • SouthUKMan
    • By SouthUKMan 4th Oct 17, 9:18 AM
    • 371 Posts
    • 298 Thanks
    SouthUKMan
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:18 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 9:18 AM
    Are you still using a geniune Apple charger? I've seen this happen on numerous laptops when using cheap Chinese third party ones due to the amount of electrical hash the charger gives off.

As SouthUKMan says, its not that bad a repair. The 2012 MBP is fairly easy to take to bits.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    I had forgotten about this! Yes, I have seen exactly the same issue. For some reason, some of the very cheap third party chargers cause the mouse cursor to move slowly and in a very jumpy manner. Unplug the charger or use a genuine Apple charger / decent third party replacement - and the problem goes away.
    • CardinalWolsey
    • By CardinalWolsey 4th Oct 17, 1:58 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    CardinalWolsey
    I had similar issues on mine. It was the battery... it had started to expand and was pushing up underneath the keyboard and trackpad causing all sorts of issues. Ordered a replacement battery and followed online instructions to replace. Very simple. IIRC the battery came with the tools required as well.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 4th Oct 17, 2:23 PM
    • 7,117 Posts
    • 2,859 Thanks
    almillar
    The repair (replacement) of the trackpad isn't too bad a job in some of the MBP, dependent on how much glue is involved. Screws are great.
    I had a trackpad that wasn't working great, not clicking properly, and it turned out that the battery was on its way out, and bulging - to the point that it was pushing up on the trackpad, and the trackpad was permanently 'clicked'.
    Before taking it apart, if you go to the Apple logo top left, 'About this Mac' and, 'more info' or 'system report' or something, you can check whether the computer thinks the battery is healthy. Also of course, if the battery doesn't last any more, that could indicate the problem.
    Ooops - cross post with CardinalWolsey
    • GTR King
    • By GTR King 4th Oct 17, 7:56 PM
    • 723 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    GTR King
    Updated I used Logitech Wireless mouse that 100% worked fine.... but when using the keyboard as well it still kept deleted words e.g when I type something...

I always used official charger...

I think it trackpad\key board that has gone

As I have just kept Laptop on & evey so often It will randomly click on things (been fine for the last few mins)
    Last edited by GTR King; 04-10-2017 at 8:13 PM.
    • chib
    • By chib 5th Oct 17, 8:37 AM
    • 466 Posts
    • 1,298 Thanks
    chib
    Did you try removing the battery and using it on the charger only?
    • scottishblondie
    • By scottishblondie 5th Oct 17, 9:35 AM
    • 1,977 Posts
    • 1,255 Thanks
    scottishblondie
    I have this issue in my 2011 MBP last year, it was a failure in the trackpad that caused the random clicks - no issue with the keyboard though. I had it repaired by Apple, it was pretty reasonable at just under £80 for a full replacement including parts and labour (£40.80 for the trackpad, £28.80 for the labour). It's worth taking it to Apple at least to get a quote.
    • GTR King
    • By GTR King 5th Oct 17, 1:30 PM
    • 723 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    GTR King
    I haven't tried the battery thing yet as don't wanna take it apart lol.
    • Undervalued
    • By Undervalued 5th Oct 17, 1:55 PM
    • 3,175 Posts
    • 2,893 Thanks
    Undervalued
    I haven't tried the battery thing yet as don't wanna take it apart lol.
    Originally posted by GTR King
    iFixit.com will have a detailed illustrated guide showing how to strip it down to replace any part. However if you are not comfortable doing that type of thing then you will have to pay Apple or an independent repair shop.

Assuming it is the trackpad that is faulty you could just disconnect it and use a mouse if you don't want to spend any money.
    Last edited by Undervalued; 05-10-2017 at 1:58 PM.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 5th Oct 17, 6:23 PM
    • 1,742 Posts
    • 1,197 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Really easy to do the battery on the 2012 MBP. Take off the base, undo a power connector from the battery to the mainboard, undo three "tri-screws" and the battery comes out. You'll then see the trackpad. That is held in by screws.
    • GTR King
    • By GTR King 5th Oct 17, 10:33 PM
    • 723 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    GTR King
    Thanks guys will prob take to shop I been to before. InTecnitian (If that’s how you spell it)
    • GTR King
    • By GTR King 7th Oct 17, 11:12 PM
    • 723 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    GTR King
    Update MacBook is saying Service battery so think that‘s what the problem is...

took it to once place (person is off ill till next wed or longer in hospital) other place man is on holiday (rung them up)

Only other place where I am, is bit more expensive (good Service) only open 8.30am-5pm Monday-Friday (Days I work)

so what‘s my best plan of action get bettery fixed or buy new Macbook (bit expensive)

If battery is fixed will Macbook last another few years???
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 8th Oct 17, 2:18 PM
    • 1,742 Posts
    • 1,197 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Yes it'll last a good few years. Your options are to wait until those people are available or get a friend/relative to drop it off at the other shop or post it to an Apple authorised repairer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,398Posts Today

7,666Users online

Martin's Twitter