Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • madaminx
    • By madaminx 3rd Oct 17, 1:49 PM
    • 211Posts
    • 61Thanks
    madaminx
    Any advice on TV only packages?
    • 3rd Oct 17, 1:49 PM
    Any advice on TV only packages? 3rd Oct 17 at 1:49 PM
    TV only packages are a minefield . . . looking for a set top.box that records, has catch up TV and allows for amazon Netflix to be added if I want . . . .

There's so many options out there such as
    You view, Freeview Plus, Free play . . . . but want something that's not part of a.contract,.any recommendations?

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 3rd Oct 17, 2:11 PM
    • 1,416 Posts
    • 502 Thanks
    iniltous
    • 3rd Oct 17, 2:11 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 2:11 PM
    If you want non pay TV, that's Freeveiw or Freesat, adding in the ability to pause/record broadcast TV then it's Freeview + or Freesat +.
    Catchup services like BBC I player, or ITV Hub can be accessed on many devices, 'smart' TV's or as 'apps' on the Freeveiw/sat set top box, provided the box or TV is connected to your broadband.
    As far as the STB manufacturer , I'm sure others will post recommendations , or do a search ...obviously if you go for Freesat you need a satellite dish pointed at the correct orbital position, a Sky dish works (not Sky Q) an aerial is needed for Freeview
    Some recommend Now TV as a half way house between pay TV and free TV, you pay for some content, but you can dip in and out on a month by month basis, and the catchup works when you don't have a TV pass, but as its part of Sky , it may not be possible to easily access their competition Netflix or Amazon, and I'm not sure if even the expensive versions of the Now TV box allow you to pause /record broadcast TV
    Last edited by iniltous; 03-10-2017 at 2:15 PM.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 3rd Oct 17, 3:57 PM
    • 1,011 Posts
    • 559 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 3rd Oct 17, 3:57 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 3:57 PM
    Now TV doesn't allow the functionality of Sky+, its just a streaming service. You used to be able to sideload Netflix or Amazon on the Now box but that's been cut off with a firmware update.
    • Rodders53
    • By Rodders53 3rd Oct 17, 6:43 PM
    • 424 Posts
    • 290 Thanks
    Rodders53
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:43 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:43 PM
    First things first:

Do you have a UHF TV aerial that works well? Freeview products need one to work. https://www.freeview.co.uk

Do you have a working satellite dish? With two cables to the room from the dish lnb? a freesat pvr will need two feeds to work. https://www.freesat.co.uk/get-freesat

Or do you have both sources of broadcast TV available?
    • almillar
    • By almillar 4th Oct 17, 1:17 PM
    • 7,112 Posts
    • 2,859 Thanks
    almillar
    • 4th Oct 17, 1:17 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 1:17 PM
    Recording boxes with catch up. No problem.
    If you have an aerial, buy a Youview box.
    If you have a satellite dish (with 2 cables/dual cable), buy a Freetime box.
    Netflix etc would require smart functionality. You may get some of this in some of the above boxes, or you may need another device, or a smart TV.
    • Bronvahl
    • By Bronvahl 4th Oct 17, 1:40 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Bronvahl
    • 4th Oct 17, 1:40 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 1:40 PM
    A friend of mine has a DVD recorder with hard disk that has Freeview channels, I think it is samsung, it has some sort of App capability for Netflix, Amazon etc
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

280Posts Today

1,142Users online

Martin's Twitter