Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • madaminx
    • By madaminx 3rd Oct 17, 1:35 PM
    • 211Posts
    • 61Thanks
    madaminx
    Any advice on TV only packages?
    • 3rd Oct 17, 1:35 PM
    Any advice on TV only packages? 3rd Oct 17 at 1:35 PM
    Hi there

TV only packages are a minefield . . . looking for a set top.box that records, has catch up TV and allows for amazon Netflix to be added if I want . . . .

There's so many options out there such as
    You view, Freeview Plus, Free play . . . . but want something that's not part of a.contract,.any recommendations?

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • chib
    • By chib 3rd Oct 17, 1:56 PM
    • 465 Posts
    • 1,298 Thanks
    chib
    • 3rd Oct 17, 1:56 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 1:56 PM
    I recently picked up a BT YouView 500GB box (DTR-T2100) on eBay for £30 that has been fantastic. We've been with multiple vendors over the years recently Sky Q and VM TiVo but have settled with Broadband Only and Freeview.

The box is cheap, looks professional and the menus are snappy. On demand services work perfectly, including Netflix but the box doesn't include Amazon Prime Video or YouTube. You can also use a mobile app to set recordings remotely.

Although it's branded as BT - you don't need to be with BT to use it. There is a BT Player button that simply does nothing when pressed.
    • Chappers27
    • By Chappers27 3rd Oct 17, 2:04 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    Chappers27
    • 3rd Oct 17, 2:04 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 2:04 PM
    I have Sky on £11 a month for basic channels and recording ability. I also have a Smart TV which is connected to the Internet. This means I can watch Netflix / Amazon video whenever I wish. The only outlay I pay is £6 a month odd for Netflix (but its a bargain given the HUGE amount of stuff to watch); and pay per rent from Amazon Video. I really only have the Sky for a handful of stuff I watch on main telly.

I don't know about set top boxes, but a Smart TV was the best purchase ive made.
    • esson1
    • By esson1 3rd Oct 17, 2:49 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    esson1
    • 3rd Oct 17, 2:49 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 2:49 PM
    Chib
    Who is your broadband with
    • chib
    • By chib 3rd Oct 17, 2:53 PM
    • 465 Posts
    • 1,298 Thanks
    chib
    • 3rd Oct 17, 2:53 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 2:53 PM
    Chib
    Who is your broadband with
    Originally posted by esson1
    I'm with Virgin - I think the package is called "Vivid 100" at £32.25 a month. Everything on the YouView box works perfectly, other than the "BT Player" button that does nothing when you press it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

314Posts Today

3,846Users online

Martin's Twitter