Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • x-caitlin-x
    • By x-caitlin-x 3rd Oct 17, 1:24 PM
    • 238Posts
    • 205Thanks
    x-caitlin-x
    Should I cancel one of my cards before applying for a new one?
    • 3rd Oct 17, 1:24 PM
    Should I cancel one of my cards before applying for a new one? 3rd Oct 17 at 1:24 PM
    I have two CCs at the moment - one with a limit of £3k and one with a limit of £5k. My usage is quite low (generally around £1.5k per month across the two cards) and I pay them both off in full every month. My salary is a little over £35k, and I have no other loans except my mortgage. Nothing bad on any of my credit files.

I want to get a CC which offers better rewards/cashback, and I'm not sure if I should cancel one of these cards before applying for a new one. I realise no-one can give me a definite answer, but is it likely that having two cards will harm my chances of being approved for a third? I have no need for multiple cards, so happy to cancel one if it would help.

If so, I'm not sure which one to cancel. The card with the £5k limit has the better rewards, so I'd prefer to cancel the one with the lower limit and worse rewards, just in case I don't get approved for the new card. Would this be reasonable, or would I be better off keeping the card with the lower limit?

I'm probably over-thinking this, but I'd appreciate any advice people have to give!
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 3rd Oct 17, 1:27 PM
    • 14,389 Posts
    • 15,183 Thanks
    zx81
    • 3rd Oct 17, 1:27 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 1:27 PM
    No. Your limits are already low.

Also, lenders would be more concerned to see that you have had a card cancelled prior to any application.
    • x-caitlin-x
    • By x-caitlin-x 3rd Oct 17, 2:42 PM
    • 238 Posts
    • 205 Thanks
    x-caitlin-x
    • 3rd Oct 17, 2:42 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 2:42 PM
    Thanks for the advice; really useful.
    • wiseonesomeofthetime
    • By wiseonesomeofthetime 3rd Oct 17, 6:37 PM
    • 140 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    wiseonesomeofthetime
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:37 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:37 PM
    I agree with zx81.

You are paying both off in full so your credit utilisation is a low as it could be. You would not be deemed desperately looking for credit.

Closing one prior to an application for another may raise a few eyebrows eyebrows though.

When I look back to the days (pre-2008) where I opened and closed accounts frequently for bonus offers, I realise how lucky I was compared to today where such activity would be frowned upon.
    • Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 3rd Oct 17, 6:57 PM
    • 1,649 Posts
    • 1,002 Thanks
    Nebulous2
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:57 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:57 PM
    When I look back to the days (pre-2008) where I opened and closed accounts frequently for bonus offers, I realise how lucky I was compared to today where such activity would be frowned upon.
    Originally posted by wiseonesomeofthetime
    It tightened up considerably post- 2008, but it has also slackened off considerably in the past 18-24 months in my experience. I'm not very good at closing cards, but I've taken out quite a few in the last 2 years, with very few problems in getting decent offers.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,566Posts Today

9,283Users online

Martin's Twitter