Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jimmithecat
    • By Jimmithecat 3rd Oct 17, 12:44 PM
    • 109Posts
    • 150Thanks
    Jimmithecat
    0 WOW
    Has the easyjet website been hacked?
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:44 PM
    0 WOW
    Has the easyjet website been hacked? 3rd Oct 17 at 12:44 PM
    I booked 2 flights on easyjet via the nectar website and saved £28 using nectar points.
    When the booking confirmation came through it had the same name on both reservations.
    It also had the full price without the £28 discount paid on a visa electron card (when I paid on amex).
    I called up easyjet - gave them my name and address - which turns out to be a different one they had for the booking.
    They gave me the address in northampton and phone number - neither of which I had ever heard of - that was registered for the booking.
    I am waiting to hear back from them - but it's all very odd - it was just a straightforward booking that I have done many times before.
    Very odd...
Page 1
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 3rd Oct 17, 12:46 PM
    • 4,867 Posts
    • 3,551 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:46 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:46 PM
    Not 100% sure how the booking works but with some sites you pay them, ie nectar and they pay easyjet so it would be nectar card and address. But I am not sure if it's how it works with easyjet I just have had that with other airline companies via 3rd party sites
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • Westin
    • By Westin 3rd Oct 17, 12:47 PM
    • 1,154 Posts
    • 834 Thanks
    Westin
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:47 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:47 PM
    Can you post the exact name of the website you booked on.

I doubt the easyJet website has been hacked. More like you have used a 3rd party booking site.

The Nectar site I expect is farming out EZY bookings to an agent which is why others contact details might be appearing.
    • Jimmithecat
    • By Jimmithecat 3rd Oct 17, 1:03 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    Jimmithecat
    • 3rd Oct 17, 1:03 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 1:03 PM
    Thanks and a good point
    I booked it through nectar.com
    • Westin
    • By Westin 3rd Oct 17, 4:09 PM
    • 1,154 Posts
    • 834 Thanks
    Westin
    • 3rd Oct 17, 4:09 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 4:09 PM
    Nectar, or more likely an agent they use, has booked your flights. The agency's payment details recorded on the booking with EZY. The agency will just take the payment on what you agreed (plus your Nectar points for the discount) from your payment card.

Names on the booking must however match the names on your passports and be for individual passengers. If this element is incorrect you do need to contact Nectar to get that fixed pdq.
    • Jimmithecat
    • By Jimmithecat 3rd Oct 17, 5:51 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    Jimmithecat
    • 3rd Oct 17, 5:51 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 5:51 PM
    Well that's easier said than done!

My concern is that the credit card attached to the booking is not mine - it is a visa electron belonging to someone at greyfriars court northampton - easyjet/nectar getting that and the name wrong is pretty worrying.
    On going on livechat to nectar the response is 'i do apologise for the issue however we at nectar cant amend the card linked to your account'

Easyjet of course have not got back to me as they said they would on their premium rate phone line.:mad

I have now cancelled the booking at a cost of £25 as the single name change would have been £40. I have then re-booked directly with easyjet.
    I have also cancelled my credit card as I have no confidence at all that my details were secure.

I'm not happy
    Last edited by Jimmithecat; 03-10-2017 at 6:20 PM. Reason: upadate
    • Westin
    • By Westin 3rd Oct 17, 7:01 PM
    • 1,154 Posts
    • 834 Thanks
    Westin
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:01 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:01 PM
    You need not of worried about which card was linked to the booking and of course EasyJet could not change that. It would be the agent/merchants card or a virtual card payment. More of a worry if they had used your card to make payment to another 3rd party.

It would be Nectar who would have been the best to contact regarding actioning a name change had indeed the booking been made with your name for both passengers.

Cancelling your credit card is not the solution either. You remain liable for the charge.
    • Jimmithecat
    • By Jimmithecat 3rd Oct 17, 7:11 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    Jimmithecat
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:11 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:11 PM
    Thanks Westin

The booking was not in my name at all - both in my husband's first name.

I contacted Nectar by livechat their response was that they can't amend the booking and did I want easyjet's phone number.

Whoever the card belonged to it was registered to my booking - easyjet tell me greyfriars court in Northampton was the address.

Cancelling my credit card was for my own security - I was not looking for a solution!
    I cancelled the booking and the amount less my £25 was refunded to this card - whoever it belonged to
    • Archergirl
    • By Archergirl 5th Oct 17, 4:34 PM
    • 1,047 Posts
    • 564 Thanks
    Archergirl
    • 5th Oct 17, 4:34 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 4:34 PM
    How bizarre, any update?
    • Jimmithecat
    • By Jimmithecat 5th Oct 17, 6:42 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    Jimmithecat
    No - I didn't expect any progress.

Nectar emailed to say they only deal with points and not with easy jet

Easyjet of course I never heard back from.

Amex have replaced my credit card.

I have lost £25 cancellation fee but have rebooked my flights and am now not worried that my card number is being used fraudulently.

Whoever the card belonged to at Greyfriars court Northampton have the refund back on their card and their link to my booking details has gone.

As said by others earlier I am sure the link site between nectar and easyjet is the problem (nectar is stopping the link with easyjet on the 18th October ).

I think it is all very strange - but trying to deal with easyjet is a waste of time and energy
    • bagand96
    • By bagand96 5th Oct 17, 10:25 PM
    • 2,766 Posts
    • 1,716 Thanks
    bagand96
    Nothing fishy going on here. Westin was on the money.

The address at Greyfriars, Northampton belongs to Aimia, which are the parent company of Nectar. Formerly Loyalty Management UK - which when you pay on the Nectar/Easyjet site show as the merchant you are paying. So you are not paying, or booking directly with easyJet.

You pay Nectar, they then action the booking with easyJet. This could be a manual process or automated. But they are technically an agent so when they book with easyJet they will use their own card details (as Westin said it could be a virtual card). This is common in the travel industry - if you book with a low cost airline via an online travel agent, you pay the agent via their site, then they book you on the airline with their own payment. Nothing to worry about. No fraud.

There obviously was an issue with names that would have occurred somewhere between Nectar and easyJet which did need resolving. Nectar should have resolved this as they were your agent.
    • Jimmithecat
    • By Jimmithecat 8th Oct 17, 7:03 AM
    • 109 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    Jimmithecat
    Thanks for that information - that makes absolute sense - I would have been much happier if someone from either nectar or easyjet could have informed me of this as to me it looked very odd.

Nectar certainly bear no responsibility for the booking 'we just deal with points' and easyjet did not get back to me.

I'm glad there was no fraud - just poor customer service - so thanks for your responses here
    • custardy
    • By custardy 8th Oct 17, 7:45 AM
    • 32,488 Posts
    • 27,239 Thanks
    custardy
    Thanks for that information - that makes absolute sense - I would have been much happier if someone from either nectar or easyjet could have informed me of this as to me it looked very odd.

Nectar certainly bear no responsibility for the booking 'we just deal with points' and easyjet did not get back to me.

I'm glad there was no fraud - just poor customer service - so thanks for your responses here
    Originally posted by Jimmithecat
    Well thats what they told you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,843Posts Today

6,868Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin