Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LG27
    • By LG27 3rd Oct 17, 12:37 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    LG27
    Legal name for a Will
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:37 PM
    Legal name for a Will 3rd Oct 17 at 12:37 PM
    I am helping my Aunt with writing her will (using Which online wills). Her name on her birth certificate is different to that she has used all her life (so that's on her pension, title deeds on her house). Her whole life she has been known only by her middle name and her first name from her birth certificate has been her middle name. For the will should we use her name as per her birth certificate (she has never held a passport or driving license) and add 'usually known as....' with the way she been called all her life? Thanks!
Page 1
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 3rd Oct 17, 12:47 PM
    • 3,370 Posts
    • 2,732 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:47 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:47 PM
    I am helping my Aunt with writing her will (using Which online wills). Her name on her birth certificate is different to that she has used all her life (so that's on her pension, title deeds on her house). Her whole life she has been known only by her middle name and her first name from her birth certificate has been her middle name. For the will should we use her name as per her birth certificate (she has never held a passport or driving license) and add 'usually known as....' with the way she been called all her life? Thanks!
    Originally posted by LG27
    Use the name she is usually known under. Are you sure Which wills is the best idea? Usually consulting a solicitor is better.
    • Keep pedalling
    • By Keep pedalling 3rd Oct 17, 1:49 PM
    • 4,068 Posts
    • 4,431 Thanks
    Keep pedalling
    • 3rd Oct 17, 1:49 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 1:49 PM
    Unless her estate is small and is made up of liquid assets only, forget this and get her to make an appointment with a local solicitor and get it drawn up properly.
    • Margot123
    • By Margot123 3rd Oct 17, 2:43 PM
    • 293 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    Margot123
    • 3rd Oct 17, 2:43 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 2:43 PM
    Don't be tempted to make a saving on a do-it-yourself will. These things only spell disaster later on when family are dealing with grief, and at the same time struggling to prove the validity of the will.
    A local solicitor would only charge about £100-£150 for a basic will, and many do free home visits for elderly and disabled people.
    If it's a simple estate, then don't appoint the solicitor to do administration.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 3rd Oct 17, 5:33 PM
    • 6,084 Posts
    • 7,829 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    • 3rd Oct 17, 5:33 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 5:33 PM
    I agree with the previous advice that you'd be better to encourage her to see a solicitor (not will writer) and get this done properly.

However, if she insists on doing it herself then it would be reasonable to write the will so that (if the name she uses is Jane Elizabeth Smith and her birth certificate says Elizabeth Jane Smith) then say "Jane Elizabeth Smith, (also known as Elizabeth Jane Smith)".

The key thing is that she is sufficiently identified.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,285Posts Today

7,678Users online

Martin's Twitter