Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 3rd Oct 17, 12:14 PM
    • 2,640Posts
    • 2,948Thanks
    glasgowdan
    Personal pension for someone close to tax free personal allowance
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:14 PM
    Personal pension for someone close to tax free personal allowance 3rd Oct 17 at 12:14 PM
    Asking around for a relative who's trying to do some planning - is a personal pension worthwhile for a self employed person whose net earnings are only a little above the tax allowance? (around £13500)?

Will the 20% tax allowance on the pension be added to the pot regardless of whether the person pays much tax in a year or not?

I don't know if I'm even asking the right question... just thought I'd try and learn a little first!
Page 1
    • atush
    • By atush 3rd Oct 17, 12:43 PM
    • 16,381 Posts
    • 10,137 Thanks
    atush
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:43 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:43 PM
    Yes, you can get BR tax relief- even if you earn nothing (you can put 2880 into a pension, and the govt will add TR to make it 3600 even if you have zero earnings).

So yes, it doesnt matter about how much tax you pay, you can put in up to your entire salary (net) into a pension (up to 40K ie 32K)
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 3rd Oct 17, 3:08 PM
    • 23,653 Posts
    • 13,781 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 3rd Oct 17, 3:08 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 3:08 PM
    The relative's total relevant earnings are (gross) £13,500?

He can contribute up to £10,800 into a personal pension and the provider will claim tax relief of up to £2,700 and add it to the pension.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,541Posts Today

9,310Users online

Martin's Twitter