Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • paulbarette
    • By paulbarette 3rd Oct 17, 12:03 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    paulbarette
    They've lost my driving licence!!
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:03 PM
    They've lost my driving licence!! 3rd Oct 17 at 12:03 PM
    Hi Guys

I got a FPN for speeding and duly paid my fine and sent my licence to the FPO and requested. This was over 6 months ago!!! The licence is meant to be posted back within 4 weeks.

I rang them up this morning and they stated they sent the licence back on 30th May via Royal Mail (no recorded delivery), and that it looks like it has been lost in the post. I always thought that it was the sender's responsibility to be applying for compensation from Royal Mail but hey have stated once it has left the building it is RM's responsibility and I must contact them for compensation.

I have no proof of delivery so am unsure how I am meant to go about this.

Are they right? Is there anything in law anyone can advise me if it is in fact the FPO's responsibility to get me compensation?

I am certainly not prepared to be shelling out again for a new licence after paying the fine and taking 3 points. Any advice greatly appreciated!
Page 1
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 3rd Oct 17, 12:33 PM
    • 6,169 Posts
    • 7,891 Thanks
    beamerguy
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:33 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:33 PM
    Hi Guys

I got a FPN for speeding and duly paid my fine and sent my licence to the FPO and requested. This was over 6 months ago!!! The licence is meant to be posted back within 4 weeks.

I rang them up this morning and they stated they sent the licence back on 30th May via Royal Mail (no recorded delivery), and that it looks like it has been lost in the post. I always thought that it was the sender's responsibility to be applying for compensation from Royal Mail but hey have stated once it has left the building it is RM's responsibility and I must contact them for compensation.

I have no proof of delivery so am unsure how I am meant to go about this.

Are they right? Is there anything in law anyone can advise me if it is in fact the FPO's responsibility to get me compensation?

I am certainly not prepared to be shelling out again for a new licence after paying the fine and taking 3 points. Any advice greatly appreciated!
    Originally posted by paulbarette
    You should know by now that when the authorities are involved
    it's a "JOBS WORTH" attitude.

Just apply for a new licence from the DVLA with the story
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 3rd Oct 17, 1:15 PM
    • 299 Posts
    • 243 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    • 3rd Oct 17, 1:15 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 1:15 PM
    Things go lost. If you have anything of value, just pay a quid extra to have recorded delivery...
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 3rd Oct 17, 1:21 PM
    • 4,875 Posts
    • 3,554 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    • 3rd Oct 17, 1:21 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 1:21 PM
    Things go lost. If you have anything of value, just pay a quid extra to have recorded delivery...
    Originally posted by NineDeuce
    It was them that didn't send it recorded, not the OP
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 3rd Oct 17, 1:55 PM
    • 4,194 Posts
    • 5,334 Thanks
    jack_pott
    • 3rd Oct 17, 1:55 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 1:55 PM
    When I had my licence stolen I just got a replacement from the DVLA, if there was a charge it wasn't enough for me to remember it now.
    I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 3rd Oct 17, 5:01 PM
    • 50,736 Posts
    • 64,145 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 3rd Oct 17, 5:01 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 5:01 PM
    I believe that's wrong, and is an example of how phone calls are NOT the way to resolve issues.

Write to this team and complain and ask for a free replacement at the very least:

Drivers Customer Services
    Correspondence Team
    DVLA
    Swansea
    SA6 7JL

https://www.gov.uk/contact-the-dvla/y/driving-licences-and-applications
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• andytaylor
    • By andytaylor 3rd Oct 17, 5:32 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    andytaylor
    • 3rd Oct 17, 5:32 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 5:32 PM
    I believe that's wrong, and is an example of how phone calls are NOT the way to resolve issues.
    Originally posted by Coupon-mad
    It is wrong - only the sender of a letter/parcel can claim compensation from Royal Mail.

For 1st or 2nd Class post, the maximum compensation is £20 which is the same as a replacement licence.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 3rd Oct 17, 5:56 PM
    • 3,968 Posts
    • 2,220 Thanks
    KeithP
    • 3rd Oct 17, 5:56 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 5:56 PM
    It is wrong - only the sender of a letter/parcel can claim compensation from Royal Mail.
    Originally posted by andytaylor
    Sorry, but you too are mistaken.

Either the sender or the intended recipient can claim for missing post.

From Royal Mail's retail compensation policy for lost items:
    The sender or the recipient of the item may both claim for a lost item but only one will be paid compensation.
    Of course the sender is still responsible for the package until their agent, Royal Mail, delivers the thing to you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,796Posts Today

7,708Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin