Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sterling570
    • By Sterling570 3rd Oct 17, 11:50 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Sterling570
    Learner driver car insurance
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:50 AM
    Learner driver car insurance 3rd Oct 17 at 11:50 AM
    Hello All, our son brought himself an old car in the spring when he turned 17. We insured it in his name with us, parents, as named drivers whilst he was learning to drive in it. This was through Endsleigh as had a lot of difficulty trying to get anyone to cover a learner driver. Was under the impression at the time that when he passed it could be updated from 'learner' to full insurance with us still as named drivers as may occassionally need to use it. Fast forward to now, he has passed, called them to advise that he'd passed only to be told that they aren't taking on newly passed drivers and the policy would be cancelled. It cost over £1500 in the spring and getting back just over £600, so a very expensive few months. Surely, this cannot be right/allowed? Has anyone else had similar problems? Any help appreciated.
Page 1
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 3rd Oct 17, 12:05 PM
    • 2,401 Posts
    • 1,613 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:05 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:05 PM
    Can you be a bit more specific about the date the policy started?
    • baza52
    • By baza52 3rd Oct 17, 12:11 PM
    • 2,001 Posts
    • 1,952 Thanks
    baza52
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:11 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:11 PM
    from their website about cancelling a policy mid term,
    "If you cancel more than 14 days after purchasing your policy, a charge will be made based on the number of days you have had cover. We will also charge a cancellation fee."
    • BoGoF
    • By BoGoF 3rd Oct 17, 12:12 PM
    • 2,401 Posts
    • 1,613 Thanks
    BoGoF
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:12 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:12 PM
    from their website about cancelling a policy mid term,
    "If you cancel more than 14 days after purchasing your policy, a charge will be made based on the number of days you have had cover. We will also charge a cancellation fee."
    Originally posted by baza52

But the OP didn't cancel.....the insurance company did
    • Sterling570
    • By Sterling570 3rd Oct 17, 1:06 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sterling570
    • 3rd Oct 17, 1:06 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 1:06 PM
    Hi Bogof, it was started end of March and cancelled yesterday. We understood that it was just a case of informing the insurers once he has passed and everything would carry on. It does say at the bottom of the statement of insurance under 'special terms' that "Any changes to the type of licence held by you (son) or any named driver, which would include passing a driving test, may result in an increased premuim" which is what we were expecting to happen. Aswell, he has lost 6 months of no claims and has to start again now we have had to go elsewhere. Feel we have been misled bigtime.
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 3rd Oct 17, 1:45 PM
    • 3,922 Posts
    • 3,305 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 3rd Oct 17, 1:45 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 1:45 PM
    OP, I'm sorry I can't help specifically. Pretty much every insurer would increase the premiums one a learner passes their test ( by definition, they're always supervised whilst learning, as soon as they pass their test they can drive unsupervised, and hence present a greater risk ).

However, cancelling the policy seems unusual. Has anything else changed, apart from him passing his test ? No speeding tickets or anything ?

I'd be more worried about the effect it will have on future insurance - they always ask "Have you ever had a previous policy cancelled ?" .....
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • Sterling570
    • By Sterling570 3rd Oct 17, 2:16 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sterling570
    • 3rd Oct 17, 2:16 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 2:16 PM
    No,nothing has changed at all apart from passing. Advisor said something to do with the underwriters not accepting any new young drivers - that hardly seems fair. So, if he'd have passed in a month of starting to learn, they may well have kept him on? Was expecting it to go up a few hundred or so and put a box in if that's what they'd have wanted. Can see now why folks put their kids down as a named driver and themselves as the main driver, only trying to do the job right and look where it gets us...
    Last edited by Sterling570; 03-10-2017 at 2:19 PM.
    • baza52
    • By baza52 3rd Oct 17, 6:34 PM
    • 2,001 Posts
    • 1,952 Thanks
    baza52
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:34 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:34 PM
    you expect it to increase by a few hundred or so, it could be a couple of thousand more depending on the car he has.
    Have you had any other quotes for him yet?

SHop around and then shop around some more as prices can vary a heck of a lot from different insurers.
    Congrats on the pass
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 3rd Oct 17, 7:53 PM
    • 25,852 Posts
    • 10,289 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:53 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:53 PM
    Cancelling the policy is not unusual. It was a learner policy that only covered learners. After passing it gets cancelled and you need to take out a new policy.

£1500 for a learners policy is expensive, you could have got it a LOT cheaper by insuring just the learner and not having named drivers.
    When i looked it cost around £400, but didnt allow named drivers.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 3rd Oct 17, 7:58 PM
    • 4,082 Posts
    • 2,220 Thanks
    Lorian
    indeed the bigger, and more costly issue you have now is finding a policy that will insure him without it involving a mortgage. When shopping around Bell/Admiral is a reasonable place to start looking to get a benchmark figure.
    • Sterling570
    • By Sterling570 4th Oct 17, 8:24 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sterling570
    This is my point exactly, we were told it would carry on once he'd passed. I can't see how anyone would insure a 17yr old for £400 a year, ours isn't a great deal less and we've got the best price we could at the time for our car.
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 4th Oct 17, 8:30 AM
    • 4,082 Posts
    • 2,220 Thanks
    Lorian
    This is my point exactly, we were told it would carry on once he'd passed. I can't see how anyone would insure a 17yr old for £400 a year, ours isn't a great deal less and we've got the best price we could at the time for our car.
    Originally posted by Sterling570
    Originally you said you were under the impression it could continue - if you were told it would, that's a different situation.

You also missed something, which I state here only for the benefit of others that read this thread - that to insure a learner on mum and dads car which is already insured for them - you can buy weekly/monthly insurance policies that just cover the learner driver, which is more cost effective. Even these terminate the moment they pass the test, so they can't even drive home from the test on it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,428Posts Today

7,804Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Common question, but actually its pretty meaningless - the amount to govt is arbitrary - i explain why here...? https://t.co/W6NFlmztaV

• RT @avantiproperty: @MartinSLewis You've got too much time on your hands.

• Today's Twitter poll: Bit out of no where this one. If you wear a watch which wrist is it on...

• Follow Martin