Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JonD34
    • By JonD34 3rd Oct 17, 11:40 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    JonD34
    Advice Needed about right letter to send!
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:40 AM
    Advice Needed about right letter to send! 3rd Oct 17 at 11:40 AM
    Recieved a letter from a debt management company over the weekend for a debt that they claimed related back to an agreement with a bank in 2002.

I genuinely have no recollection of ever taking out a loan related to what they are claiming, and after phoning the original bank they have no record of it either (both in my name, but also from the supplied account number on the letter).

I really want to get them off my back. My first thought was to send a Prove it letter, but would this then prevent a claim of it being statute barred later? - I then thought about Statue barred, but if I am confused and if I had done something in the last 6 years, would this be an admission to liability to the debt even tho I don't think I have any?

I'm not sure of what to do...
Page 1
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 3rd Oct 17, 11:56 AM
    • 8,236 Posts
    • 43,663 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:56 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:56 AM
    This is more than likely just a fishing trip - personally I'd ignore it if it were me and see if anything further comes through.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£702.45 (20/11/17)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
  • National Debtline
    • 3rd Oct 17, 2:57 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 2:57 PM
    Hi JonD34

The prove it letter is worded so it does not acknowledge the debt, and therefore it cannot restart the 6 year limitation period. It is simply saying you have no knowledge of the debt and it's down to the debt collection agency (DCA) to prove it's yours. It's a good place to start if you're not sure if you do owe the money.

In the same way, a sample statute barred letter should not acknowledge the debt. It's then down the to the DCA prove it's not statute barred. There's no problem with sending the prove it letter, followed by the statute barred letter if necessary. Good luck with it all.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 3rd Oct 17, 4:43 PM
    • 12,731 Posts
    • 12,068 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 3rd Oct 17, 4:43 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 4:43 PM
    It will be an old debt that’s been sold on and sat on for a while.

These companies pick them up for pennies then try to get you to pay up the full amount, even though they know it’s most likely statute barred.

Don’t waste two stamps, send the statute barred letter and put it to bed.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,810Posts Today

7,916Users online

Martin's Twitter