Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ordep
    • By Ordep 3rd Oct 17, 11:32 AM
    • 84Posts
    • 49Thanks
    Ordep
    contaminated blood
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:32 AM
    contaminated blood 3rd Oct 17 at 11:32 AM
    I believe my mother was affected by contaminated blood.
    Were do I go from here.
    There seem to be plenty of solicitors on line offering there services, is that the right way.
    “Everything comes to pass, nothing comes to stay.”
Page 1
    • Toothsmith
    • By Toothsmith 3rd Oct 17, 12:31 PM
    • 8,732 Posts
    • 10,390 Thanks
    Toothsmith
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:31 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:31 PM
    Are we talking about the blood 'issues' of the 70s & 80s which affected loads of people - in which case joining in that big action might be the best way, or something more individual and recent?

The biggest winners are always the lawyers whatever!
    How to find a dentist.
    1. Get recommendations from friends/family/neighbours/etc.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    3. Assess the helpfulness of the staff and the level of the facilities.
    4. Only book initial appointment when you find a place you are happy with.
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 3rd Oct 17, 12:50 PM
    • 4,184 Posts
    • 5,318 Thanks
    jack_pott
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:50 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:50 PM
    Whatever you choose to do, you need to be aware of the urgent time limits to make your mind up, because the statute of limitations for public law is just three months. That means if it is the NHS rather than a private provider you are suing you have three months from the time the incident happened (or the time you became aware of it) to start proceedings. Ignorance of this time limit is not deemed to be sufficient excuse to waive it, even if you have been badly advised.

If you choose to complain via the NHS and Ombudsman you should be aware that they will spin it out until this time limit expires.

http://www.publiclawproject.org.uk/data/resources/4/PLP_Short_Guide-1_1305.pdf
    http://www.publiclawproject.org.uk/data/resources/6/PLP_Short_Guide_3_1305.pdf
    I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 3rd Oct 17, 2:05 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 555 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 3rd Oct 17, 2:05 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 2:05 PM
    Whatever you choose to do, you need to be aware of the urgent time limits to make your mind up, because the statute of limitations for public law is just three months. That means if it is the NHS rather than a private provider you are suing you have three months from the time the incident happened (or the time you became aware of it) to start proceedings. Ignorance of this time limit is not deemed to be sufficient excuse to waive it, even if you have been badly advised.

If you choose to complain via the NHS and Ombudsman you should be aware that they will spin it out until this time limit expires.

http://www.publiclawproject.org.uk/data/resources/4/PLP_Short_Guide-1_1305.pdf
    http://www.publiclawproject.org.uk/data/resources/6/PLP_Short_Guide_3_1305.pdf
    Originally posted by jack_pott
    Rubbish. The time limit for clinical negligence (including the NHS) is three years from when you became aware of the negligence (s. 11 Limitations Act 1980).

The three months you refer to relates to judicial review, which is irrelevant to this case.

(Looking at the group action, the applicants have been given permission to begin proceedings, so the time bar is not an issue.)
    Last edited by BorisThomson; 03-10-2017 at 2:08 PM.
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 3rd Oct 17, 2:31 PM
    • 4,184 Posts
    • 5,318 Thanks
    jack_pott
    • 3rd Oct 17, 2:31 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 2:31 PM
    Rubbish. The time limit for clinical negligence (including the NHS) is three years from when you became aware of the negligence (s. 11 Limitations Act 1980).

The three months you refer to relates to judicial review, which is irrelevant to this case.
    Originally posted by BorisThomson
    What happens if the Ombudsman spins things out for more than three years?
    I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    • Ordep
    • By Ordep 3rd Oct 17, 3:16 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    Ordep
    • 3rd Oct 17, 3:16 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 3:16 PM
    Thank you for your responses

My mother past away in 1991 in west middx hospital, of hepatitis? .
    I remember asking the doctor at the time what strain of hepatitis it was.
    He was very vague, and said there were many types
    “Everything comes to pass, nothing comes to stay.”
    • Quizzical Squirrel
    • By Quizzical Squirrel 3rd Oct 17, 5:27 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 4,043 Thanks
    Quizzical Squirrel
    • 3rd Oct 17, 5:27 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 5:27 PM
    There's a CDC public health campaign right now warning US baby boomers that they should be having a test for Hep C.
    The estimate is 1 in 30 of them have been infected.

Is this the sort of thing you mean? Are you looking to join a Hep C class action lawsuit (in the UK) or is this a specific other identifiable contamination event?
    • brook2jack
    • By brook2jack 3rd Oct 17, 5:30 PM
    • 4,015 Posts
    • 3,637 Thanks
    brook2jack
    • 3rd Oct 17, 5:30 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 5:30 PM
    What do you want to achieve from your enquiries? This may affect how to best approach this problem.

The other thing is as your mum died 26 years ago many of the records from that time may well have been destroyed.

In the late 80s early 90s only three types of infectious hepatitis were identified
    Hep A eg tummy bug hepatitis

Hep B

Non A , non B hepatitis e.g. Everything that didn't fit into the above brackets.

As time went on many more types of infectious hepatitis have been identified A B C D E

Of course there are other causes of hepatitis e.g. Those caused by autoimmune disease, medications, drugs, alcohol

The death certificate is a good place to start as to cause of death but hepatitis as a description just means liver inflammation and there can be many causes for that.
    • keithdc
    • By keithdc 3rd Oct 17, 5:32 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 480 Thanks
    keithdc
    • 3rd Oct 17, 5:32 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 5:32 PM
    Thank you for your responses

My mother past away in 1991 in west middx hospital, of hepatitis? .
    I remember asking the doctor at the time what strain of hepatitis it was.
    He was very vague, and said there were many types
    Originally posted by Ordep
    Many ways to contract hepatitis.
    Did she have many transfusions? For what purpose?

If your mother died in 1991, there is a very high likelihood her medical records have been destroyed.
    • Quizzical Squirrel
    • By Quizzical Squirrel 3rd Oct 17, 5:35 PM
    • 110 Posts
    • 4,043 Thanks
    Quizzical Squirrel
    I think they just about knew of Hep C in 91.

I remember a colleague being newly diagnosed with it (in London) and I left that job in 91.
    • brook2jack
    • By brook2jack 3rd Oct 17, 6:19 PM
    • 4,015 Posts
    • 3,637 Thanks
    brook2jack
    Hep c was first identified in 1989 and immunological tests were developed in 1990 , so 1991 would have been in the early days of hep c diagnosis.

I only threw out my virology textbooks out from the late 80s a few weeks ago so the timelines are fairly fresh, it's amazing how knowledge has marched on and underscores why CPD is so important.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 3rd Oct 17, 6:54 PM
    • 374 Posts
    • 555 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    What happens if the Ombudsman spins things out for more than three years?
    Originally posted by jack_pott
    You issue a claim irrespective. Do you have anything useful to offer the OP?

OP, the solicitors dealing with the group action are Collins Law. My feeling is that your claim would fail the causation test, but you should contact them for further advice.
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 4th Oct 17, 1:57 PM
    • 4,184 Posts
    • 5,318 Thanks
    jack_pott
    Do you have anything useful to offer the OP?
    Originally posted by BorisThomson
    I was asking for myself, because my complaint is already into the third year. I was under the impression that you have to pursue one avenue to the end before you're allowed to start another.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    • Toothsmith
    • By Toothsmith 5th Oct 17, 6:41 PM
    • 8,732 Posts
    • 10,390 Thanks
    Toothsmith
    There are so many ways to catch hepatitis of any variety. It would be extremely hard to show a particular medical intervention was the cause.
    How to find a dentist.
    2. Once you have a short-list, VISIT the practices - dont just phone. Go on the pretext of getting a Practice Leaflet.
    • Gingernutty
    • By Gingernutty 5th Oct 17, 7:06 PM
    • 3,449 Posts
    • 10,397 Thanks
    Gingernutty
    Did your mum have a transfusion, OP?
    Don't know what I'm doing, but doing it anyway...
    • OldMotherTucker
    • By OldMotherTucker 6th Oct 17, 12:41 AM
    • 7,113 Posts
    • 15,699 Thanks
    OldMotherTucker
    My daughter is asking about her blood transfusion which she received as baby in 1998. We were informed when she was about 7 or 8 years old that she might have received blood contaminated with CJD.

I'm too scared to even start googling - any one else in this situation or got any ideas how to allay her fears?
    Should have joined Borrowmydoggy.com
    • RedFraggle
    • By RedFraggle 6th Oct 17, 8:19 AM
    • 398 Posts
    • 914 Thanks
    RedFraggle
    I would start with her GP. Dr Google only ever tells people they are going to die.
    There have only been 4 cases of CJD from blood transfusion in the UK.
    Officially in a clique of idiots
    • Toothsmith
    • By Toothsmith 6th Oct 17, 12:34 PM
    • 8,732 Posts
    • 10,390 Thanks
    Toothsmith
    vCJD is a bit like the 'Millenium Bug' that was going to wipe out all computers when 1999 became 2000!

A lot of panic and very little has happened.

It is very sad for the few people that did get vCJD - but cases have pretty much fizzled out, and there is certainly no epidemic caused by blood transfusions.

Don't let it worry you.
    How to find a dentist.
    • OldMotherTucker
    • By OldMotherTucker 7th Oct 17, 12:24 PM
    • 7,113 Posts
    • 15,699 Thanks
    OldMotherTucker
    I would start with her GP. Dr Google only ever tells people they are going to die.
    There have only been 4 cases of CJD from blood transfusion in the UK.
    Originally posted by RedFraggle
    vCJD is a bit like the 'Millenium Bug' that was going to wipe out all computers when 1999 became 2000!

A lot of panic and very little has happened.

It is very sad for the few people that did get vCJD - but cases have pretty much fizzled out, and there is certainly no epidemic caused by blood transfusions.

Don't let it worry you.
    Originally posted by Toothsmith
    Thank you both (and another long standing poster who pm'd me -( you know who you are). you're absolutely right - it was something I was unwilling to Google!
    Should have joined Borrowmydoggy.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

139Posts Today

1,470Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin