Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zanyzaz
    • By zanyzaz 3rd Oct 17, 11:27 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    zanyzaz
    Suppliers that accept 2 meters
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:27 AM
    Suppliers that accept 2 meters 3rd Oct 17 at 11:27 AM
    Hello

I found an old thread (dated 2003) regarding this but there didn't appear to be a resolution, so starting a new one in case anyone has more recent advice.

I have electricity-only in my rented flat. There are two, related meters. My current supplier is Ecotricity but I'm looking to switch. Ecotricity (and Scottish Power, previously) charge me ONE standing charge, because the two meters are related.

I heard good things about Bulb and requested a quote but they said they would charge me >£70/month - because I would have to pay an extra standing charge for two meters.

I had a similar problem when I asked for a quote from OVO a while ago too.

Does anybody know of any suppliers willing to take on two meters, for one standing charge? Or have any advice on how to deal with this?

Thanks!

Zara
Page 1
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 3rd Oct 17, 12:55 PM
    • 3,878 Posts
    • 1,540 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:55 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:55 PM
    Hello

I found an old thread (dated 2003) regarding this but there didn't appear to be a resolution, so starting a new one in case anyone has more recent advice.

I have electricity-only in my rented flat. There are two, related meters. My current supplier is Ecotricity but I'm looking to switch. Ecotricity (and Scottish Power, previously) charge me ONE standing charge, because the two meters are related.

I heard good things about Bulb and requested a quote but they said they would charge me >£70/month - because I would have to pay an extra standing charge for two meters.

I had a similar problem when I asked for a quote from OVO a while ago too.

Does anybody know of any suppliers willing to take on two meters, for one standing charge? Or have any advice on how to deal with this?

Thanks!

Zara
    Originally posted by zanyzaz
    Oh dear, there are many threrads about this.

The standard response for those with legacy metering is always not to attempt to switch supplier as attempts to do so invariably end in tears.

Unfortunately it appears you have attempted to switch supplier, and whilst the tears may not have started for you yet, I assure you they will come.

Your best solution now is to get professional help with regards to the existing electrical circuits and appliances in your home with a view to then paying the supplier to change the metering to a current universal accepted one, with a single MPAN.

Once that is all completed, you can consult a comparison site to find the best deal for you

Good luck!
    Last edited by footyguy; 03-10-2017 at 12:57 PM.
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 3rd Oct 17, 1:06 PM
    • 529 Posts
    • 477 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    • 3rd Oct 17, 1:06 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 1:06 PM
    Standing charges on meters account for a small percentage of the cost. I wouldnt spend time looking for a supplier that offers you a particular deal on this, as they can just make the money up through tariffs.
    • zanyzaz
    • By zanyzaz 3rd Oct 17, 2:43 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    zanyzaz
    • 3rd Oct 17, 2:43 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 2:43 PM
    Thanks for the reponses!

Because it's not my flat (I'm rented), I'm a bit reluctant to mess around with circuits etc. But maybe that's a conversation I need to have with my landlord...
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 3rd Oct 17, 2:51 PM
    • 6,172 Posts
    • 5,296 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    • 3rd Oct 17, 2:51 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 2:51 PM
    Hi,

not sure about the two standing charges, but that set-up, two meters, was one for domestic and one for storage heaters.

Do you have storage heaters?

What tariff are you on?
    Y'all take care now.
    • zanyzaz
    • By zanyzaz 3rd Oct 17, 3:12 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    zanyzaz
    • 3rd Oct 17, 3:12 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 3:12 PM
    I'm on the Green Electricity tariff with Ecotricity. I was with Scottish Power previously, who were terrible.

I think one is for storage heaters yep, and the other general electricity usage.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,541Posts Today

9,310Users online

Martin's Twitter