Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Lynned
    • By Lynned 3rd Oct 17, 11:10 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Lynned
    Energy switch direct debit
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:10 AM
    Energy switch direct debit 3rd Oct 17 at 11:10 AM
    Im in the process of switching my gas/elect to a new supplier. They have asked for 2 direct debits on the day of the switch. Is that normal practise?? I cant see why they would need to take 2 amounts upfront???
Page 1
    • molerat
    • By molerat 3rd Oct 17, 11:19 AM
    • 17,474 Posts
    • 11,700 Thanks
    molerat
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:19 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:19 AM
    Some suppliers, even though you have "dual fuel" with them, run 2 separate accounts for gas and electric and take 2 separate DDs. Many of the smaller suppliers take the first payment up front.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Lynned
    • By Lynned 3rd Oct 17, 11:29 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lynned
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:29 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:29 AM
    Yeah, it is 2 seperate dd’sbut they want to double both dd’s for the1st month which they are taking out on the day of the switch.
    So they have said my dd’s are £52 gas, £64 electric. But on the day of the switch they want to take £104 gas & £128 electric even thou i wouldnt have used anything with them at that point. I can understand taking a dd on the day of the switch but not double the amount!
    Am I missing something that they need £232 up front??
    • molerat
    • By molerat 3rd Oct 17, 11:30 AM
    • 17,474 Posts
    • 11,700 Thanks
    molerat
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:30 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:30 AM
    That does not seem right. Who is the supplier ?
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • Lynned
    • By Lynned 3rd Oct 17, 11:41 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Lynned
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:41 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:41 AM
    Its ecomony energy. Think i will need to phone and cancel the switch.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 3rd Oct 17, 1:11 PM
    • 3,868 Posts
    • 1,534 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 3rd Oct 17, 1:11 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 1:11 PM
    As per their terms and conditions for their online saver tariff:

This contract is between you (the customer) and Economy Energy Trading Limited. Your ‘Economy Energy - Online Saver’ contract will start from the date outline in our welcome pack and is a fixed rate tariff for a 12 month period, payable by Direct Debit only. You will be required to make an initial payment (equal to two months Direct Debit amount) when your supplies go live with Economy Energy Subsequent payments are to be scheduled on the same date as the supply commencement each month. You have the right to end this contract within this period. An exit fee of £25 is payable per fuel if you choose to leave this contract early. This tariff is subject to a satisfactory credit check.
    (my highlighting)

So whilst the first payment is twice the usual monthly payment, there will only be one DD collection

If this supplier & tariff are cheapest for you, why would you not continue with it???

Edit: their other tariff offerings, which are more expensive, do not seem to have this term, but you will need to double check carefully
    Last edited by footyguy; 03-10-2017 at 1:16 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,419Posts Today

4,613Users online

Martin's Twitter