Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 5degrees
    • By 5degrees 3rd Oct 17, 11:03 AM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    5degrees
    0 WOW
    Using Currency Cards
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:03 AM
    0 WOW
    Using Currency Cards 3rd Oct 17 at 11:03 AM
    Hi there

I am going to Hong Kong and then the US next year and am looking for a currency card to use rather than taking cash.

I have had emails from CAXTON and Sainsburys but cant really get a clear answer and grasp on the services they offer - a straight answer from either appears to be impossible.

I am looking for a card that I can load currency (preferably GBP) onto and then use the card in both China and US without the need to transfer currency from HKD to USD; in other words I just use the card as I want in either country and then the card just converts the GBP on the card into the needed currency.

Does any card do this or do they all do that?

It would be an inconvenience if I have to keep transferring credit between currency depending on what country I am in.

Also would be great if there was an app to manage the card (which CAXTON do) but will welcome peoples comments and recommendations
Page 1
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 3rd Oct 17, 11:05 AM
    • 4,945 Posts
    • 3,579 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:05 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:05 AM
    Monzo does this
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • 5degrees
    • By 5degrees 3rd Oct 17, 12:10 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    5degrees
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:10 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:10 PM
    Thanks for the reply.

Had never heard of them.

Have downloaded their app and will have a look but cant seem to contact them from their website to ask them any questions which seems a bit strange!!
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 3rd Oct 17, 12:20 PM
    • 4,945 Posts
    • 3,579 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:20 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:20 PM
    You can use the forum https://community.monzo.com
    I have had a card for many months and they are great. Once your account is open you can use the live chat in the app for support.

Also shown on the MSE website https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/prepaid-travel-cards#monzo along with a link to skip the queue
    Last edited by heatherw_01; 03-10-2017 at 12:26 PM.
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • 5degrees
    • By 5degrees 3rd Oct 17, 12:22 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    5degrees
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:22 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:22 PM
    LOL - MONZO Update - have submitted an application and they report 53000 people ahead of me. I dont think a startup bank has the resources for the demand.

Also reading on the comments on Google Play that some people have been waiting for months and months to be accepted
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 3rd Oct 17, 12:24 PM
    • 4,945 Posts
    • 3,579 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:24 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:24 PM
    You can use the MSE link to skip the Queue https://monzo.com/moneysavingexpert/ or there are golden tickets that do the same
    Last edited by heatherw_01; 03-10-2017 at 12:28 PM.
    • 5degrees
    • By 5degrees 3rd Oct 17, 12:34 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    5degrees
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:34 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:34 PM
    Have tried the MSE link and when receiving the email and clicking the link it just takes me to the screen telling me that there are 53K people ahead of me - thanks for your help though.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 3rd Oct 17, 12:46 PM
    • 7,295 Posts
    • 9,036 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:46 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:46 PM
    Credit card?

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/travel-credit-cards
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 3rd Oct 17, 12:47 PM
    • 4,945 Posts
    • 3,579 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:47 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:47 PM
    Have tried the MSE link and when receiving the email and clicking the link it just takes me to the screen telling me that there are 53K people ahead of me - thanks for your help though.
    Originally posted by 5degrees
    oh dear sorry to hear that as the card works just as you wanted
    • 5degrees
    • By 5degrees 3rd Oct 17, 12:48 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    5degrees
    Credit card?
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters

Would prefer to pre-load a card with money I already have rather than use credit.
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 3rd Oct 17, 12:52 PM
    • 4,945 Posts
    • 3,579 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    There is also revoult although I have not used this and I think you pay for the card

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/prepaid-travel-cards#revoluteurodollar
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 3rd Oct 17, 1:30 PM
    • 7,295 Posts
    • 9,036 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    Would prefer to pre-load a card with money I already have rather than use credit.
    Preload a savings account with the money.

Settle the credit card bill after you've spent.

Similar concept.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 3rd Oct 17, 1:48 PM
    • 2,964 Posts
    • 1,304 Thanks
    eDicky
    For Monzo, uninstall the app then try again with the MSE link.

There's also Revolut, loot.io and Starling Bank that do as you require, all operated by app. Study the FAQs instead of trying to contact them for info.

Any travel credit card, see the MSE article. Forget about Sainsbury and Caxton. Take at least two different cards, don't rely on one only.
    • 5degrees
    • By 5degrees 3rd Oct 17, 6:46 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    5degrees
    Thanks for the advice.

I have tried that trick (uninstall the app and reinstall) but I think it recognises the email address as displays my holding place in the queue.

As for using a credit card, dont get me wrong, it is a tactic we regularly use but only as an emergency backup if needed; emergency flights, hotels, beer etc. I just didnt really want to use them as a main source of funds but I appreciate your comments regarding 'save the money, pay the bill' method.

Interesting eDicky says forget the Sainos and Caxton cards - is that through experience or looking at what the card offers?
    • AlSto
    • By AlSto 4th Oct 17, 12:19 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    AlSto
    LOL - MONZO Update - have submitted an application and they report 53000 people ahead of me. I dont think a startup bank has the resources for the demand.

Also reading on the comments on Google Play that some people have been waiting for months and months to be accepted
    Don't bother, as they will soon begin to charge for ATM withdrawals.

Try Starling Bank instead.
    • 5degrees
    • By 5degrees 4th Oct 17, 10:15 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    5degrees
    MONZO UPDATE 2 - amazingly they appear to have gotten through the 53K requests prior to mine and I was asked to complete my sign up last night which I have done and am expecting a card through in the next couple of weeks.

I acknowledge the comments that MONZO will be charging for ATM withdrawals but so do nearly every other card provider and they dont seem to be wanting to charge as much as the 5% that others do.

The card is a great idea anyway and certainly one that I will use in the UK anyway
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 4th Oct 17, 10:21 AM
    • 8,764 Posts
    • 13,374 Thanks
    worried jim
    I use both Monzo and Revolut. Both great and recommended.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 4th Oct 17, 11:41 AM
    • 7,514 Posts
    • 4,908 Thanks
    Biggles
    You make it sound like taking out a loan, a credit card's nothing like that. What it does do is save guessing how much you might want to spend before you go, you just pay it off in full by DD. The interest is tiny.

But Starling Bank is suitable for the way you'd prefer to work: you pay into it in GBP, earn a little interest while it's there and draw out cash in any currency worldwide with no charges. When you get home, you put the remaining cash back into your usual bank account, again with no charge.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,419Posts Today

4,613Users online

Martin's Twitter