Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Emzilla
    • By Emzilla 3rd Oct 17, 10:42 AM
    • 3,281Posts
    • 12,238Thanks
    Emzilla
    My name's Emz and I'm rubbish at diaries!
    • 3rd Oct 17, 10:42 AM
    My name's Emz and I'm rubbish at diaries! 3rd Oct 17 at 10:42 AM
    Hi everyone

I'm not going to write some long, convoluted post about why I'm rubbish at diaries and keep on checking out of DFW land for ages at a time.

Bottom line: It needs to stop and it needs to stop today. I can't go on like this and must get something done.

So with that in mind, I'm again tackling my electric arrears, which need to be gone ASAP. Ideally by the end of the year, but I'm not sure how realistic that is. I can but try though.

The balance is currently £1,592.44. There are 90 days left of this year (), so that means clearing just under £18 a day, plus the additional charges that will be added in that time.

So, simple plan to do this - get as much extra money coming in as possible (including vouchers to help pay for Christmas) and stop as much money going out as possible.

I'll try my best to come on here each day and list the positive steps I've taken towards this goal.

Emz xx
    £10 a day in December - £11.76/£310
Page 2
    • Tea&Kittens
    • By Tea&Kittens 14th Nov 17, 3:58 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 636 Thanks
    Tea&Kittens
    Hey Emz!
    glad you got the electric sorted! Good luck with the surveys they always seem to be full by the time I get to try them!
    October: NSDs 6 / 17 NSDs in a row: 1 / 5
    I started my debtfree journey on 07 September 2017: Total: £20,521 £19847
    Barclaycard: £14659 £14435 Oct 2017 HSBC Credit Card : £3112 £3012 Oct 2017
    Overdraft: 350 £0 Oct2017 MBNA : 2400
    A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. I'm on my way!
    • Emzilla
    • By Emzilla 14th Nov 17, 8:12 PM
    • 3,281 Posts
    • 12,238 Thanks
    Emzilla
    Another Christmas present sorted - A Despicable Me 3 annual (for my nephew) worth £7.99 for £1 from WH Smiths courtesy of the O2 app .

Emz xx
    • Emzilla
    • By Emzilla 16th Nov 17, 7:14 AM
    • 3,281 Posts
    • 12,238 Thanks
    Emzilla
    Yesterday I was determined to redeem for that £10 Amazon voucher from Swagbucks, and I did it!! . When that comes through I'll only owe my sister £10 in Amazon vouchers.

Today I'm going to work on My Survey and aim for at least a £5 voucher redeem. I've only got 71 points on there at the moment, and it's 550 for a £5 voucher.

Emz xx
    • Emzilla
    • By Emzilla 28th Nov 17, 4:44 PM
    • 3,281 Posts
    • 12,238 Thanks
    Emzilla
    Oops, gone for nearly 2 weeks!! I think now the urgency has gone with the electric bill, I kind of lost momentum - again!! (I did get my £5 voucher from My Survey that day BTW, but still owe my sister £5).

I was going to start comping again, but it's not the same as it used to be, and I keep thinking that making £300 extra a month (at least) with vouchers and payments has to be a lot better than just winning a few little bits through the month for the chance to maybe win something bigger. That makes sense in my mind anyway!

My Christmas shopping has gone on hold. I won't go into the details, but my OH went on a surprise trip with his mates (surprise on me, not him!), which ate up a lot of his wages and has left me not wanting to spend anything extra until I get paid on the 8th December at least. To say I was fuming is an understatement!! He's back tomorrow, so I'll see how much spending money he's got left.

I've still got loads to get, but don't dare buy anything or it'll leave us short. Could strangle him!!

We've got quite a few things coming up too. 90s night on Friday, my work Christmas lunch on Sunday, Christmas lunch with a friend next Wednesday and then the week after that his parents descend on us for 3 nights.

So my Christmas shopping plan this year will have to be ordering what I can online when I get paid on the 8th and then getting whatever else I need to the week after, when my OH gets paid.

However, I won't get into this position next year - no I won't!! I have joined Dolly Rocker's challenge to pay for all presents (inc birthdays, Christmas, Easter etc) with surveys. I'll start that in January, as there's no way I can earn enough to pay for everything and receive it in time to get my presents for Christmas.

For the rest of this year, I'm going to join the £10 a day challenge, when it's up and running, and I also want to reach my Swagbucks target every day for a month, so I get a lovely big bonus for the start of 2018. Those are two challenges I have never completed, but know that I definitely can.

Emz xx
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 28th Nov 17, 7:06 PM
    • 49,030 Posts
    • 181,986 Thanks
    beanielou
    I will make no comment on your OH.
    Keep plodding Emz.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Emzilla
    • By Emzilla 28th Nov 17, 7:53 PM
    • 3,281 Posts
    • 12,238 Thanks
    Emzilla
    I will make no comment on your OH.
    Keep plodding Emz.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    I have made lots of comments on my OH Lou!! All I can say is:

Emz xx
    • Emzilla
    • By Emzilla 30th Nov 17, 4:26 PM
    • 3,281 Posts
    • 12,238 Thanks
    Emzilla
    OH is back. He bought back £85 worth of spending money. Would have been more if he hadn't gotten me a 100ml bottle of Miss Dior. A kind thought, and his heart is in the right place, but I would have preferred the extra cash.

Anyway, just a quick one before I go to work. I'm meeting up with my friend next week for our Christmas lunch. She's the only friend that I exchange gifts with. She is the friend that helped me out with the electric bill. So, I got her a Nivea set from Tesco as it was half price. She loves Nivea, so I know she'll like it. It was £7.50 but was reduced to £3.75. My question is, should I get something to go with it? I was thinking a £10 M&S voucher or something. I feel bad that she has helped me out so much and I've spent less than a fiver on her.

What do you all think? Add more to the gift, or save money and just give the Nivea set?

Emz xx
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 30th Nov 17, 8:28 PM
    • 49,030 Posts
    • 181,986 Thanks
    beanielou
    Sure she will be happy with gift set

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Emzilla
    • By Emzilla 1st Dec 17, 2:38 PM
    • 3,281 Posts
    • 12,238 Thanks
    Emzilla
    Sure she will be happy with gift set
    Thanks Lou. I'll stick with the gift set. It's her birthday in early January, so I might try and earn a £15-£20 M&S voucher for her from surveys to make up for it.

Emz xx
    • Emzilla
    • By Emzilla 1st Dec 17, 2:42 PM
    • 3,281 Posts
    • 12,238 Thanks
    Emzilla
    I've managed to get all of my cards purchased today, so I feel a tad more organised. I even got a free pack of cards from WH Smiths on the O2 app.

OH is still off work on leave, so he's getting under my feet and it's hard to get stuff done. Hence why I've come over to my mum's to get some peace and quiet. Will at least be able to reach my Swagbucks target here.

Off to the 90s night this evening, which I could do without if I'm honest. However, the tickets are paid for, so I'll not waste them. I just can't dance much anymore and end up sat on my own for most of the evening. One dance and I'm wiped out for the next half an hour! Not that I begrudge anyone else dancing, just wish that I could do it too

Emz xx
    • Emzilla
    • By Emzilla 3rd Dec 17, 8:05 AM
    • 3,281 Posts
    • 12,238 Thanks
    Emzilla
    So the electric arrears saga runs on. I received an email totally out of the blue yesterday from my friend saying that she wanted to cancel our Christmas lunch on Wednesday, basically calling me a liar for the reason I borrowed the money (don't know what she thinks I did with it!) and she set out repayment terms to me of £260 a month for 5 months with £270 for the final 6th month, paid on the 3rd of every month IN CASH (yes, she put that in capitals), posted through her door starting on the 3rd January.

I'm totally fuming. Don't get me wrong, I am still grateful to her for helping me out, but I have known her for 15 years and for her to just turn around and call me a liar like that is uncalled for. I can bloody prove what I used the money for!! She was absolutely fine when she was lending it, saying things like I was 'more than a friend, I was family' and I 'should have gone to her sooner'.

So I sent a simple response saying I had not been untruthful with her in anyway, I would of course pay her back as per her terms, but I'll try to do it more quickly than 6 months and that I was still grateful for her helping me out. I also said I want an email from her each time to confirm she's received the money. I want written proof she's got it.

I want to pay her back as soon as I can, and then that's our 15 year friendship done. I'm not being treated like that.

My plan is to pay her back in 4 instalments, each on the day my OH gets paid (just because he gets paid every 4 weeks and I never work on those Fridays, so it's easier to drive to her).

15th December - £370
    12th January - £400
    9th February - £400
    9th March - £400

It's going to be tight, but I'll do as much extra money making as I can. I want her paid back. I'm so glad I didn't spend loads of money on a present for her now. I'll give the Nivea set to my sister. Plus I won't have to buy her a birthday present next month now.

Emz xx
    • triple choc chip
    • By triple choc chip 3rd Dec 17, 9:53 AM
    • 828 Posts
    • 2,893 Thanks
    triple choc chip
    Emz, I"m de-lurking to say please don't give her cash. When someone is being so unreasonable for no apparent reason don't take any chance on them saying they haven't received an instalment. As soon as you drop the envelope through the letterbox it's in the hands of the gods and you can't afford to lose it. Even putting cash in her hand could be denied later - her word against yours.
    Do you have her bank details? I would urge you to make a faster payment each month so you have proof. Failing that, a cheque is acceptable and will clear faster after January, but really what difference will a few days make? When you repay the debt, use the method that suits you, on the day that suits you and don't be railroaded.
    Life's greatest satisfactions: Getting the last laugh, having the last word and paying the last instalment.
    Debt Free since 6.8.13
    Saving for Xmas 2017 #3: £594/£650 94.4%
    Saving for Xmas 2018 #3: £10/£600
    Emergency fund £1k
    • Emzilla
    • By Emzilla 3rd Dec 17, 10:44 AM
    • 3,281 Posts
    • 12,238 Thanks
    Emzilla
    Emz, I"m de-lurking to say please don't give her cash. When someone is being so unreasonable for no apparent reason don't take any chance on them saying they haven't received an instalment. As soon as you drop the envelope through the letterbox it's in the hands of the gods and you can't afford to lose it. Even putting cash in her hand could be denied later - her word against yours.
    Do you have her bank details? I would urge you to make a faster payment each month so you have proof. Failing that, a cheque is acceptable and will clear faster after January, but really what difference will a few days make? When you repay the debt, use the method that suits you, on the day that suits you and don't be railroaded.
    Originally posted by triple choc chip
    Thanks for posting. I understand what you mean, and those were the first thoughts to go through my head when she said IN CASH. However, she won't give me her bank details as she was scammed online a few years back and doesn't do anything online. I don't have a cheque book either.

I'm very wary, but I will put the first lot through her door and send an immediate email asking her to confirm she's received the amount. If she doesn't respond to the email, then she doesn't get the rest of the money back. If she does, I'll have a written record as proof that I've paid it.

Emz xx
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd Dec 17, 4:19 PM
    • 49,030 Posts
    • 181,986 Thanks
    beanielou
    Sorry, but no way would I give anyone I owed money to cash in those sorts of amounts.
    I dont know what the way round it is but no way.

• Emzilla
    • By Emzilla 4th Dec 17, 7:44 AM
    • 3,281 Posts
    • 12,238 Thanks
    Emzilla
    Sorry, but no way would I give anyone I owed money to cash in those sorts of amounts.
    I dont know what the way round it is but no way.
    I know Lou. I want as little contact with her as possible now though.

I'm going to do the first instalment, and I'll be happy as long as she sends a confirmation email. I'll then have written proof that she's received the money. I'll respond to the original email she sent, so it's a record of the whole incident.

It's really in her best interest to confirm she's receiving the instalments, as if she doesn't, I won't pay her any more of her money back.

Emz xx
    • Emzilla
    • By Emzilla 4th Dec 17, 11:23 AM
    • 3,281 Posts
    • 12,238 Thanks
    Emzilla
    I went for my work's Christmas meal last night. It was very nice and we all had a good time. I spent £19 (£24 including my £5 deposit), which wasn't too bad for a 3 course meal.

I'm off to work soon (12-6 today), but have had a productive morning. I've done a couple of Prolific surveys. One was for £4 (which has already been paid) and another was for £3, but I'm getting short follow-up surveys for the next 2 weeks, and the whole amount will come to £10.

Also up to £29.60 on Onepoll. Would love to hit the magic £40 at some point this month.

Swagbucks is going well. I've met my first 3 days targets and have been running the apps this morning whilst doing other stuff, so have got 19 towards my 100 target already. Will have to complete it tonight. I've got enough for a £5 voucher, but I'm waiting for the Swago board to go live before I redeem it.

I need to get organised with my presents too. I've started a list of what I need to buy.

Be back later.

Emz xx
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Dec 17, 12:38 PM
    • 49,030 Posts
    • 181,986 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad that you enjoyed your Christmas meal.

• Emzilla
    • By Emzilla 5th Dec 17, 9:08 AM
    • 3,281 Posts
    • 12,238 Thanks
    Emzilla
    I was supposed to be meeting my friend for a coffee this morning (not THAT friend), but she's had to cancel. Means I've got more time for money making though. Doing a 4-8 shift today.

Already done £2 worth of Prolific surveys and am working towards my Swagbucks target.

Met my SB target last night, did £2.80 worth of Panelbase surveys and added another 10p to my Onepoll balance.

I must get my Christmas shopping list completed today, so I know how much I've got to spend. I got my PIP payment today, so might make a couple of orders from that.

Emz xx
    • Emzilla
    • By Emzilla 6th Dec 17, 4:56 PM
    • 3,281 Posts
    • 12,238 Thanks
    Emzilla
    I've sorted out all that I've got to get for Christmas presents and written it down. I ordered a gift for my sister yesterday and today bought one for my nephew. It's over £30 on Amazon, but I got it for £14.99 in B&M! Very pleased with that.

I'm trying to get something everyday, so tomorrow I'm going to order a fragrance set for my OH. It's £50, but Boots are offering £10 worth of points tomorrow, so it's worth getting then for that offer.

I received my £5 Amazon voucher from Swagbucks, and have now paid back my sister for the present she ordered my niece on her account. I need to get my Swagbucks target today, but can work on that tonight.

I've got £7.20 cleared and £7.10 pending on Prolific. I'm also up to £30.75 on Onepoll.

Need to get cracking on some more surveys really. Been a bit slack today. I'll try and get some done tonight and tomorrow. I'm only doing 5-8 tomorrow, so plenty of time during the day.

Emz xx
    Last edited by Emzilla; 06-12-2017 at 5:07 PM.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 6th Dec 17, 6:18 PM
    • 7,801 Posts
    • 22,371 Thanks
    jwil
    Just catching up, how awful about your 'friend'. People are strange. I hope you get the written evidence that you've paid.

Well done on the Christmas shopping!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,124Posts Today

7,687Users online

Martin's Twitter