Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Aura
    • By Aura 3rd Oct 17, 9:29 AM
    • 175Posts
    • 304Thanks
    Aura
    Which refurbished PC tower please?
    • 3rd Oct 17, 9:29 AM
    Which refurbished PC tower please? 3rd Oct 17 at 9:29 AM
    I hope this is the right forum, if not please can you move to the correct one? Thanks.

Hi I'm getting a refurbished tower and I have a choice of two

Dell GX980
    HP Elite 8200

Which is the better model please?

Price for the HP Elite 8200 is £405.99
    Price for the Dell GX980 is £4.00.99

Both include antivirus.

Many thanks.
Page 1
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 3rd Oct 17, 9:43 AM
    • 9,745 Posts
    • 4,001 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 3rd Oct 17, 9:43 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 9:43 AM
    I would say for refurbs both are overpriced .
    As to AV that's a bit misleading as it could be a trial a free AV or a fully paid premium license .
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 3rd Oct 17, 3:51 PM
    • 820 Posts
    • 450 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 3rd Oct 17, 3:51 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 3:51 PM
    Assuming they're all on their original parts, if they're i3 processors the quoted prices are overpriced, better value if they're i5 and not bad if they're i7.
    • Aura
    • By Aura 3rd Oct 17, 4:41 PM
    • 175 Posts
    • 304 Thanks
    Aura
    • 3rd Oct 17, 4:41 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 4:41 PM
    As to AV that's a bit misleading as it could be a trial a free AV or a fully paid premium license .
    Hi thanks for your replies, It was AVG Cloud care which was the full deal, they have apparently gone over to something else now.

if they're i3 processors the quoted prices are overpriced, better value if they're i5 and not bad if they're i7.
    He says it's an i5.

The spects are

Quad Core
    i5
    Ram
    8gb
    Hard drive
    1TB
    DVD writer
    Yes
    Recommended use
    Small business
    Windows
    Warrenty
    1 year

Same for the HP as well
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 3rd Oct 17, 6:30 PM
    • 2,389 Posts
    • 638 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:30 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:30 PM
    Have a look at Zoostorm. You can get a brand new one (later spec) for less than £300 I think. With warranty.

www.ebuyer.com

https://www.ebuyer.com/store/Computer/cat/Desktop-PC/Zoostorm?a05471=Windows+10+Home&sort=price+ascendi ng

I purchased one in 2008 and one a year ago. Very pleased with them both.

Ok so their i5 are £500-600. So your refurb is better value.

https://www.ebuyer.com/store/Computer/cat/Desktop-PC/Zoostorm?a05471=Windows+10+Home&sort=price+ascendi ++ng&455=Intel+Core+i5
    Last edited by AndyPK; 03-10-2017 at 6:36 PM.
    • Aura
    • By Aura 4th Oct 17, 8:44 AM
    • 175 Posts
    • 304 Thanks
    Aura
    • 4th Oct 17, 8:44 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 8:44 AM
    Just had a quote for the Dell GX980 which is £396.98, I might go for that one. The only reason I use this company is they can help me set my PC up because I'm disabled.
    • Redhill54
    • By Redhill54 5th Oct 17, 7:02 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Redhill54
    • 5th Oct 17, 7:02 PM
    • 5th Oct 17, 7:02 PM
    Comparing computers is not quite as simple as the Intel core number, because just as important, or more, is the generation of the Intel chip.

The level of detail you need is something like 4300T, as in Intel Core i7 2600S Quad Core 2.8GHz processor. You may be able to find that out from the seller, or on the manufacturer's website, or on Wikipedia.

You can then use that detail in a website such as that found using the search terms passmark or cpubenchmark, to give a numerical score for the CPU. In the example case entering 2600S that would give a score of 7062. This can then be compared with the scores for other machines and CPU chips. An i3 chip from a later generation of CPU chip may well be better than a chip from an i7 in an earlier generation.

Scores can also be obtained for the video card etc, in case that is a key part of your computer set-up.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,633Posts Today

6,192Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin