Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • indianabones
    • By indianabones 3rd Oct 17, 9:15 AM
    • 184Posts
    • 193Thanks
    indianabones
    Long application process?
    • 3rd Oct 17, 9:15 AM
    Long application process? 3rd Oct 17 at 9:15 AM
    I was recently approached by an in house recruiter and after a few days of thought and some coversations I decided to proceed to application.

The process of recruitment for this position is:

Phone interview 1: Hiring Manager (Personality based questions)
    Phone interview 2: Hiring Manager (Position based questions)
    - I am here
    Phone interview 3: Person at Hiring Manager level in other department
    Phone interview 4: Person at position level in other department - May not be required
    F2F interview: Hiring Manager

The whole process is supposed to take 6-8 weeks and we're about 5 weeks in.

Interview 1 went well, so well that he said he was going to skip the formalities and arrange phone interview 2 there and then. I had Phone interview 2 yesterday and I have a feeling I let myself down. Both interviews were supposed to be an hour but went 20 mins over each time.

My concern is that with so many stages there are so many opportunities to screw up. I do my best to remain composed and not ramble on, but if it's going over by 20 mins, surely that means there's been rambling?
Page 1
    • zx81
    • By zx81 3rd Oct 17, 9:21 AM
    • 13,683 Posts
    • 14,143 Thanks
    zx81
    • 3rd Oct 17, 9:21 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 9:21 AM
    surely that means there's been rambling?
    Originally posted by indianabones
    Surely it doesn't.

Surely it could also mean that the interview went well and was extended rather than being cut short.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 3rd Oct 17, 9:41 AM
    • 384 Posts
    • 581 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 3rd Oct 17, 9:41 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 9:41 AM
    Good answers can be succinct or they can be detailed, time isn't generally a reflection of quality.

If you feel that you do ramble then take a few moments to structure your answer in your head before starting. Phone silences are difficult but should be expected in an interview situation.

Six or eight weeks isn't particularly long for recruit. I've known processes take six months and more.
    • indianabones
    • By indianabones 3rd Oct 17, 10:32 AM
    • 184 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    indianabones
    • 3rd Oct 17, 10:32 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 10:32 AM
    If you feel that you do ramble then take a few moments to structure your answer in your head before starting.

Six or eight weeks isn't particularly long for recruit. I've known processes take six months and more.
    Originally posted by BorisThomson
    Thanks.

Looking back at it, I think the interview was 65% him talking and 35% me talking, so maybe I am over thinking and looking for issues when there aren't that many.

6 month recruitment process? How is that even possible, do people even wait that long for an offer? Personally I feel a quick but thorough process is more likely to land you a suitable candidate?
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 3rd Oct 17, 11:18 AM
    • 18,515 Posts
    • 14,230 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:18 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:18 AM
    Try going for a job that requires Developed Vetting and see how long that takes!
    • ThemeOne
    • By ThemeOne 3rd Oct 17, 11:30 AM
    • 1,115 Posts
    • 925 Thanks
    ThemeOne
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:30 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:30 AM
    I would have thought if the interview wasn't going well, the interviewer would cut it short, rather than let it go on over time.

Having said that, not all interviewers know what they're doing!
    • indianabones
    • By indianabones 3rd Oct 17, 11:41 AM
    • 184 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    indianabones
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:41 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:41 AM
    Having said that, not all interviewers know what they're doing!
    Originally posted by ThemeOne
    I'd say my interviews were both closer to an general chat than an interview. I felt very relaxed throughout both.

He was prepared and did ask a lot of questions that were not the usual competancy based questions. At the end he did apologise for going over and asked if I could continue for a few more mins, which turned out to be 25/30 mins I think.
    • Stylehutz
    • By Stylehutz 3rd Oct 17, 8:01 PM
    • 246 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    Stylehutz
    • 3rd Oct 17, 8:01 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 8:01 PM
    These companies shoot themselves in the foot with these long winded application processes. Its off putting and by the time its over a lot of candidates have already found another position
    • xapprenticex
    • By xapprenticex 3rd Oct 17, 11:06 PM
    • 1,244 Posts
    • 1,135 Thanks
    xapprenticex
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:06 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:06 PM
    Sounds like a few managers have nothing much to do so do these silly interviews. Good luck though
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

646Posts Today

6,280Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin