Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • neha9
    • By neha9 3rd Oct 17, 9:03 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    neha9
    Driving test route and lessons
    • 3rd Oct 17, 9:03 AM
    Driving test route and lessons 3rd Oct 17 at 9:03 AM
    Hi All,

i am taking my driving lessons and in total have taken around 30 lessons with the current instructor and 8 lessons with my previous instructor. My concern is i have my test booked at garretts green and i m not familiar neither with the test centre or the test routes. My instructor doesn't want me to practice at the test routes as she thinks it is important to be able to drive on new roads and not just test routes. We already had so many lessons on 2 to 3 routes near my house but nothing at the test centre routes. the other day she took my mock test and i failed because it was a totally new road. She wants me to take more 15 lessons. I have asked her to take me to the test routes for the last few lessons but she refused.

I have my test booked on nov 3rd.

Any reviews would be helpfull.
Page 2
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 4th Oct 17, 8:48 AM
    • 3,432 Posts
    • 7,566 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    We had an example of why driving the test area is a bad thing when learning at work recently. One of my colleagues failed her test due to driving in a bus lane while it was active. She drove the same road a lot during her lessons, but always at weekends when private cars could use the bus lane. Come the test during a weekday rush hour, she did the same thing, headed into the bus lane without thinking and though she realised immediately it was too late and of course failed. Familiarity in this case causing an error.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • JamesZxr
    • By JamesZxr 4th Oct 17, 3:41 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    JamesZxr
    Did your instructor suggest you book your test for November? If so they must be fairly confident that you are ready otherwise it would be a pointless exercise. Go for the test, what is the worst that can happen, you fail but have then got knowledge of at least one of the test routes (would be surprised if they weren’t on YouTube somewhere these days anyway)?

I can see both sides of the argument to be honest, for what it is worth I took my Class 2 and Class 1 with work 2 and a bit over 2 years ago. We practised the ‘test routes’ but on both actual test days we hardly went anywhere near them! Different ball game I know but although I was narked at the time I can honestly say it made me concentrate more.

At least if you go for it this time and fail (who knows you may surprise yourself and pass) you can talk through constructively with your instructor why you failed and suggest you actually drive that part of the route again so you can see where you went wrong. If you do pass there is no shame in getting some more lessons (pass plus etc.) to build some more confidence.
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 4th Oct 17, 4:10 PM
    • 2,288 Posts
    • 1,470 Thanks
    Car 54
    Did your instructor suggest you book your test for November? If so they must be fairly confident that you are ready otherwise it would be a pointless exercise.
    Originally posted by JamesZxr
    Not necessarily. An instructor is expected to "discuss with and advise a client when to apply for their driving tests, taking account of DVSA’s cancellation rules, local waiting times and the instructor’s forecast of a client’s potential for achieving the driving test pass standard". [Driver training industry code of practice].

In other words, the OP may not be ready now, but is expected to be ready in November.
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 4th Oct 17, 4:11 PM
    • 4,865 Posts
    • 3,550 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    I passed my test a few years ago. I had been shown some of the possible test routes but when I had my test, I only did a little of these and most of it was new road but I still passed.
    If you can drive which your instructor must think you can do as you have a test booked, then knowing the route means nothing

Good luck
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • d0nkeyk0ng
    • By d0nkeyk0ng 4th Oct 17, 5:19 PM
    • 460 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    d0nkeyk0ng
    Ask your instructor if you can drive through a new or unfamiliar area, rather than the same three miles. In the run up to my test, I had double lessons ie two hours so we had more time to drive through new areas. This built up more experience for me and hence more confidence.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 4th Oct 17, 5:37 PM
    • 1,404 Posts
    • 936 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    Going the wrong way on a driving test isn't a fail so I don't think this would be the reason why your driving instructor failed you on your mock test - perhaps clarify that. If you forget the directions you've been given you can ask the examiner to repeat them.

On my driving test the examiner told me to follow the road ahead unless told otherwise. At some stage the road split into two lanes and I remained in the left hand lane. Quite late I saw a road sign telling me the left lane was for going left and the right lane was for going straight ahead. I simply checked my right mirror, narrated that it was too late for me to safely pull into the right hand lane to carry straight on (due to traffic) so I would have to go left instead. He gave me a minor for that.
    Originally posted by matttye
    I wouldn't have said anything and just gone the wrong way. As long as you are doing your observations properly, you can't be marked down for simply going the wrong way.
    • Mercdriver
    • By Mercdriver 4th Oct 17, 5:44 PM
    • 1,404 Posts
    • 936 Thanks
    Mercdriver
    When I took my test in 2013, on an intensive course I drove all the known test routes. So I knew the area quite well. The route the examiner took me on was a mixture of 3 different known routes. You can't really rely on routes - they can all be found online, but they are unofficial and the examiners can choose to go a completely different way.

Familiarity can make you feel more at ease, but is that really a good thing? You don't want to a nervous wreck, but neither do you want to too at ease. You might be there at a completely different time, and then it may as well be a completely different route. It's so easy to anticipate what you have experiences before but to fail to anticipate what is in front of you on the test itself.
    • JamesZxr
    • By JamesZxr 4th Oct 17, 7:21 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    JamesZxr
    Out of interest how will the sat nav element of the test be assessed when it comes in from December, could you effectively fail if you can't folllow it to a high enough standard?
    • matttye
    • By matttye 4th Oct 17, 7:43 PM
    • 4,724 Posts
    • 2,977 Thanks
    matttye
    Are you sure? Taking the wrong turn is not a fault. More likely it was for failing to check your left mirror, ot to signal left.
    Originally posted by Car 54
    I thought it was for that but I could be mistaken. I had 3 minors and remember one was definitely for hesitating on a left turn when a solid green light was on and the green filter arrow was not lit up. I'd done thousands on my lessons but exam nerves got the better of me
    What will your verse be?

R.I.P Robin Williams.
    • lister
    • By lister 4th Oct 17, 8:03 PM
    • 201 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    lister
    I thought it was for that but I could be mistaken. I had 3 minors and remember one was definitely for hesitating on a left turn when a solid green light was on and the green filter arrow was not lit up. I'd done thousands on my lessons but exam nerves got the better of me
    Originally posted by matttye
    You don't normally get a driver fault for going the wrong way safely.

But... It isn't unheard of for someone to get an awareness and planning fault (box 26 on the DL25 if you still have it) - usually given when there is abundant clear evidence of where you should be and you fail to notice it or act on it.
    • lister
    • By lister 4th Oct 17, 8:06 PM
    • 201 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    lister
    Out of interest how will the sat nav element of the test be assessed when it comes in from December, could you effectively fail if you can't folllow it to a high enough standard?
    Originally posted by JamesZxr
    Faults will be marked if what you do following the sat nav falls outside of expected outcomes - exactly as the current indy drive is assessed.

So if the sat nav is saying turn right 3rd exit at a roundabout and you do that from the left lane, you'll probably get a serious or dangerous fault.

If you decided instead to turn left but did it while showing a right indicator or no indicator, you'd probably get a driver fault.

If you correctly cancelled any right indicator, signalled left and turned left from the left lane, no fault would be marked.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 4th Oct 17, 8:50 PM
    • 25,866 Posts
    • 10,295 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    When i took my HGV my instructor said they were not supposed to go near the test centre routes.

Daughter failed on driving in a bus lane. She may have got away with that but had already failed for being too hesitant at a junction also.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

494Posts Today

4,432Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin