Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mrchrisbrogan
    • By mrchrisbrogan 3rd Oct 17, 8:51 AM
    • 40Posts
    • 7Thanks
    mrchrisbrogan
    First Direct Leaving Bonus
    • 3rd Oct 17, 8:51 AM
    First Direct Leaving Bonus 3rd Oct 17 at 8:51 AM
    Hi Guys

Can you let me know if I have ruined my chances of getting the 6 month leaving bonus of 100.00.

I opened the account 20th June and funded the account.

Then again 3/07, 2/08 and 31/08 and then I set up a SO for 30th of every month. This was meant to do my sept funding but credit 02/10 due to weekend.

Is the funding based on calendar month or will this work on anniversary month.
Page 1
    • wiseonesomeofthetime
    • By wiseonesomeofthetime 3rd Oct 17, 7:59 PM
    • 101 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    wiseonesomeofthetime
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:59 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:59 PM
    Why would you want to leave?

Just after the money, not the service or access to a 5% regular saver?

In answer to your question, I honestly don't know.

I make sure my payments go in by 27th of each month as not all months have 30 days.
    • mrchrisbrogan
    • By mrchrisbrogan 4th Oct 17, 2:35 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    mrchrisbrogan
    • 4th Oct 17, 2:35 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 2:35 PM
    I do not use it transactionally. Just using the switch service to benefit from the money bonus.
    • JuicyJesus
    • By JuicyJesus 4th Oct 17, 2:47 PM
    • 3,010 Posts
    • 3,107 Thanks
    JuicyJesus
    • 4th Oct 17, 2:47 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 2:47 PM
    I do not use it transactionally. Just using the switch service to benefit from the money bonus.
    Originally posted by mrchrisbrogan
    Be aware that First Direct will expect you to call them and give a good reason for being unhappy with them in order to claim the £100.
    Last edited by JuicyJesus; 04-10-2017 at 2:51 PM.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
    • mrchrisbrogan
    • By mrchrisbrogan 4th Oct 17, 3:00 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    mrchrisbrogan
    • 4th Oct 17, 3:00 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 3:00 PM
    Not to be pedantic, but it says:

You need to contact us to let us know you're unhappy within 12 months of opening your account,

not

You need to contact us to let us know WHY you're unhappy within 12 months of opening your account,
    • mrchrisbrogan
    • By mrchrisbrogan 4th Oct 17, 3:02 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    mrchrisbrogan
    • 4th Oct 17, 3:02 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 3:02 PM
    If I need to give a reason though I am sure I can say something like, other accounts provide better benefits (which isn't a lie)
    • chib
    • By chib 4th Oct 17, 3:19 PM
    • 465 Posts
    • 1,298 Thanks
    chib
    • 4th Oct 17, 3:19 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 3:19 PM
    I've been with FD for seven months now and they've been outstanding, they instantly paid me the £25 they missed on my signup bonus as I came through MSE but it didn't track. It's disappointing to hear you (And no doubt others) taking advantage of their confidence in good service.
    • mrchrisbrogan
    • By mrchrisbrogan 4th Oct 17, 3:44 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    mrchrisbrogan
    • 4th Oct 17, 3:44 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 3:44 PM
    I do not really see it as this, I am just merely (trying) to fulfill an offer they have made. Its highly advertised, its not a small print clause.
    • chib
    • By chib 4th Oct 17, 4:02 PM
    • 465 Posts
    • 1,298 Thanks
    chib
    • 4th Oct 17, 4:02 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 4:02 PM
    Put it this way, supermarkets like Asda and Aldi offer a money back guarantee if you aren't satisfied with their goods - do you exploit those the same way?
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 5th Oct 17, 1:54 AM
    • 4,125 Posts
    • 1,263 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    Put it this way, supermarkets like Asda and Aldi offer a money back guarantee if you aren't satisfied with their goods - do you exploit those the same way?
    Originally posted by chib
    Put it this way, It's a brand name of HSBC - get some perspective in your life.
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 5th Oct 17, 1:57 AM
    • 4,125 Posts
    • 1,263 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    Be aware that First Direct will expect you to call them and give a good reason for being unhappy with them in order to claim the £100.
    Originally posted by JuicyJesus
    You need new reading glasses Juicy, nowhere does it say 'give a good reason'.
    Any reason is sufficient, I used their antiquated Internet banking as the reason.
    • JuicyJesus
    • By JuicyJesus 5th Oct 17, 9:34 AM
    • 3,010 Posts
    • 3,107 Thanks
    JuicyJesus
    You need new reading glasses Juicy, nowhere does it say 'give a good reason'.
    Any reason is sufficient, I used their antiquated Internet banking as the reason.
    Originally posted by Heng Leng
    That is a good reason. It's an actual dissatisfaction with their service.
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 7th Oct 17, 10:00 PM
    • 4,125 Posts
    • 1,263 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    That is a good reason. It's an actual dissatisfaction with their service.
    Originally posted by JuicyJesus
    Any reason is sufficient - the wording of their offer doesn't leave them any room for interpretation.
    • Don80
    • By Don80 9th Oct 17, 11:55 AM
    • 186 Posts
    • 71 Thanks
    Don80
    I've been with FD for seven months now and they've been outstanding, they instantly paid me the £25 they missed on my signup bonus as I came through MSE but it didn't track. It's disappointing to hear you (And no doubt others) taking advantage of their confidence in good service.
    Originally posted by chib
    I get what you mean, but lots of people here switch accounts all over the place to get switching bonuses. It sounds like you are suggesting that this is immoral?

In any case, why shouldn't people do this with FD like they do with other banks?

Banks are not stupid - they know that people are doing this. Some banks won't pay out switching bonuses for a while to try and stop this, others, like Halifax, pay out in days. I have to assume that they take this into account when they make these offers.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

168Posts Today

1,470Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin