Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 3rd Oct 17, 8:08 AM
    • 2,012Posts
    • 9,296Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    Query about selling craft-work
    • 3rd Oct 17, 8:08 AM
    Query about selling craft-work 3rd Oct 17 at 8:08 AM
    I am on ESA (support) and PiP (Enhanced Care, Standadrd Mobility).

When my disabilities allow, I do a little craft work - sewing, knitting, sketching...that sort of thing.

Now, a few days ago an acquaintance came for coffee with Mum, and I was there with my knitting....The acquaintance expressed an interest in my work...I was knitting a hat for myself.

She then said that she runs a market stall and does car-boot-sales. She asked if I would like to make some more hats and she would sell them....She thought the hats would sell well ...and we would split the money 50/50.

I thanked her for the nice words about my hat, but pointed out that I cannot guarantee any number of hats...one day I can knit, and then maybe 3 or 4 days my hands don't allow the work...also, I am not sure of the law on someone on disability selling stuff. (Actually most of the talking was done by my carer/Mum...but you get the idea!)

She smiled and said that a number of people on benefits sell stuff at the market - and many more at the car-boots. She said that it is quite permissible for someone to make a craft item...eg I can knit myself a hat....it is quite permissible for someone to make an item as a gift ...eg I could knit a hat, say, for Mum....so all that people do is make their items, and then gift' them to this woman who then sells them as her own items. She gives the share of the price as 'payment of materials'

Now, I know that I could never make enough items to sell. ....and I am also compulsively honest! (I would want to declare every item sold)...but it led me to look online and there really doesn't seem to be any official ruling...

What is the actual law regarding selling items that you have made?
Page 2
    • mrcol1000
    • By mrcol1000 5th Oct 17, 5:58 PM
    • 4,382 Posts
    • 3,761 Thanks
    mrcol1000
    Just out of interest - where does "selling stuff you no longer want" end and "making stuff specifically to sell" begin?
    Originally posted by bertiewhite

When you buy/make something just to sell. Its a very grey area though. If you buy something, never use it, find it and then sell it does that count? If you make something, it doesn't fit the person you made it for and then sell it, does that count?

The truth is that if you are doing it as a small hobby then you'd be very unlucky to be caught out. There are a load of people who do it, if you told most of them that they are breaking the law, they'd probably think you were mad.
    • OneYorkshireLass
    • By OneYorkshireLass 5th Oct 17, 6:07 PM
    • 2,929 Posts
    • 43,907 Thanks
    OneYorkshireLass
    There's also the big knit by Innocent
    http://www.thebigknit.co.uk
    #TeamCarter
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,245Posts Today

7,169Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin