Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • catswhiskers4
    • By catswhiskers4 3rd Oct 17, 7:23 AM
    • 95Posts
    • 47Thanks
    catswhiskers4
    Severe Mentally Impaired person and Council Tax Reduction
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:23 AM
    Severe Mentally Impaired person and Council Tax Reduction 3rd Oct 17 at 7:23 AM
    Hi, we’ve just successfully applied for SMI person’s discount and been refunded for previous years. However, we have also been receiving Council Tax Reduction benefit for the past year. For this they’ve reduced it by the amount of the SMI. Is this correct? Ie we were saving about £600 a year with the reduction benefit and now we’re saving £300 a year on the reduction benefit and £300 for SMI. I have queried this with the council, but they’ve not responded so far!
Page 1
    • CIS
    • By CIS 3rd Oct 17, 7:35 AM
    • 10,033 Posts
    • 5,725 Thanks
    CIS
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:35 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:35 AM
    It's correct - the council tax reduction is calculated based on the net council tax charge - that is the full council tax charge less any discounts. If these figures change the CTR has to be re-calculated.
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery as I'm now a self employed Council Tax advisor and consultant with my own Council Tax consultancy business. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
    • Housing Benefit Officer
    • By Housing Benefit Officer 3rd Oct 17, 2:06 PM
    • 2,387 Posts
    • 4,244 Thanks
    Housing Benefit Officer
    • 3rd Oct 17, 2:06 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 2:06 PM
    It's correct - the council tax reduction is calculated based on the net council tax charge - that is the full council tax charge less any discounts. If these figures change the CTR has to be re-calculated.
    Originally posted by CIS
    Indeed - often the people getting the SMI exemption are already getting maximum CTR - relatives are often surprised when they get no money back!
    These are my own views and you should seek advice from your local Benefits Department or CAB.
    • CIS
    • By CIS 3rd Oct 17, 2:09 PM
    • 10,033 Posts
    • 5,725 Thanks
    CIS
    • 3rd Oct 17, 2:09 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 2:09 PM
    Indeed - often the people getting the SMI exemption are already getting maximum CTR - relatives are often surprised when they get no money back!
    Originally posted by Housing Benefit Officer
    Oh yes, the number of times I had those discussions over the years - also good when it's a band reduction and it was all paid by CTR/CTB or covered by exemption...
    I no longer work in Council Tax Recovery as I'm now a self employed Council Tax advisor and consultant with my own Council Tax consultancy business. My views are my own reading of the law and you should always check with the local authority in question.
    • By Housing Benefit Officer 3rd Oct 17, 5:26 PM
    • 2,387 Posts
    • 4,244 Thanks
    Housing Benefit Officer
    • 3rd Oct 17, 5:26 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 5:26 PM
    Oh yes, the number of times I had those discussions over the years - also good when it's a band reduction and it was all paid by CTR/CTB or covered by exemption...
    Originally posted by CIS
    Many of the 100,000 supposedly being 'overcharged' are already getting maximum help anyway.

We have Housing Associations who give their tenants 2 weeks free rent at Christmas - every year we have phone calls from claimants demanding their 2 weeks Christmas money. We explain very slowly they aren't charged rent so we don't pay any HB for 2 weeks. If they paid the rent and were not on benefits then yes they would have 2 weeks rent money to spend on Christmas.
    These are my own views and you should seek advice from your local Benefits Department or CAB.
    • CIS
    • By CIS 3rd Oct 17, 6:26 PM
    • 10,033 Posts
    • 5,725 Thanks
    CIS
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:26 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:26 PM
    Many of the 100,000 supposedly being 'overcharged' are already getting maximum help anyway.
    That's one of the issues I thought of as well - 100k is a good headline figure but it overlooks an awful lot of the actuality of the situation.

We have Housing Associations who give their tenants 2 weeks free rent at Christmas - every year we have phone calls from claimants demanding their 2 weeks Christmas money. We explain very slowly they aren't charged rent so we don't pay any HB for 2 weeks. If they paid the rent and were not on benefits then yes they would have 2 weeks rent money to spend on Christmas.
    I allowed my esteemed colleagues to deal with these queries - HB was their issue (and certainly not mine when it came to anything awkward).
    • By Housing Benefit Officer 3rd Oct 17, 9:34 PM
    • 2,387 Posts
    • 4,244 Thanks
    Housing Benefit Officer
    • 3rd Oct 17, 9:34 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 9:34 PM
    That's one of the issues I thought of as well - 100k is a good headline figure but it overlooks an awful lot of the actuality of the situation.

I allowed my esteemed colleagues to deal with these queries - HB was their issue (and certainly not mine when it came to anything awkward).
    Originally posted by CIS
    We are a multi functional department - we do HB, CTAX and Business Rates!
    • CIS
    • By CIS 4th Oct 17, 8:38 AM
    • 10,033 Posts
    • 5,725 Thanks
    CIS
    • 4th Oct 17, 8:38 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 8:38 AM
    We are a multi functional department - we do HB, CTAX and Business Rates!
    The were attempts to do that as I was leaving but it was failing miserably due to lack of training for staff and attempts at making staff too general - I've done HB and Business Rates stuff (and could deal with most of it) but I usually never had the time to do so. In my experience getting staff to do everything puts too much pressure on people and just creates failure.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,124Posts Today

7,786Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin