Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 3rd Oct 17, 6:13 AM
    • 2,840Posts
    • 38,361Thanks
    nmlc
    O/S Daily Tuesday 3 October 2017
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:13 AM
    O/S Daily Tuesday 3 October 2017 3rd Oct 17 at 6:13 AM
    O/S Daily Tuesday 3 October 2017

This is an “over the garden fence” type thread where we chat about everything Old Style and maybe a little bit more. It’s a great, inspiring and motivating thread we start each day to discuss what Old Style things we’re going to do today or what we’ve achieved already. Everyone’s welcome, please do come in, put your feet up (although check the fence hasn’t just been painted first!) and join us for an Old Style natter. The more the merrier!

As this is the Old Style Board, it would be appreciated if posts could include some Old Style content. Please be aware that many people may have small screens, or SLOW internet connections, so please don’t post large pictures, or clip art – links are preferred. When you make a post, if you feel like giving it a title, that will help others that don’t have the time to read everything skim through the thread quickly but if not it's not a problem. Please do not start a new daily thread before you go to bed at night because this often leaves things confusing with two daily threads live at the same time. The idea is that a member would start each new daily thread after they get up in the morning.

Morning everyone

Hugs to those who want/need one x

Happy birthday to those with a birthday x

DH up and gone to work stupid early, DS1 now getting ready for work and DS2 still in his pit, will wake him shortly.

Sounds rather blustery outside again, and the air feels cooler this morning, I'm hoping to get some washing on the line, once it's light I'll see whether it's possible or not.

Dinner last night was fish, chips/jacket potato, beans/veg, tonight will be pork chops that I remembered to get out of the freezer to defrost overnight, I'll serve that with mash, veg and gravy - hopefully I won't get too side-tracked on here and will be able to peel the potatoes and leave them in water before I go to work this morning, it helps if I'm a little bit ahead.

Work yesterday was a nightmare - from the moment we opened to well into the afternoon, it was clearly evident that the staffing levels we a lot to do with it, but we got there in the end. We had quite a lot of difficult cases, angry people, crying people etc. We'll see what today brings.

Keep safe and well x

nmlc x
    Last edited by nmlc; 03-10-2017 at 6:25 AM.
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
Page 1
    • Gers
    • By Gers 3rd Oct 17, 6:42 AM
    • 5,829 Posts
    • 34,231 Thanks
    Gers
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:42 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:42 AM
    Good morning everyone.

Thanks for the thread nmlc.

I think the storm has passed, can’t hear any wind. Last night it really got worse.

There’s plenty of lamb left to finish off later. Got teaching this morning and booked a chat with a colleague as I need some advice. I say ‘booked’ because she teaches much more than me and has children so when I’m free she’s not. Catching her after the school run and before my teaching.

I’m struggling to understand why a retired accountant would want to kill 59 people. Madness! And Tom Petty has died too.

It’s still dark outside and I’m a bit reluctant to crawl out from under the duvet though it must be done.

Happy Tuesday everyone.
    • Coxy11
    • By Coxy11 3rd Oct 17, 6:44 AM
    • 2,096 Posts
    • 25,668 Thanks
    Coxy11
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:44 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:44 AM
    Morning, thanks for the thread nmlc x
    Too dark to see what the weather is doing yet. I am on an early train again this morning as there is a difficult situation to deal with all this week at work. I'm herding people around the building hoping they don't bump into other people. All a bit stressful.
    Dinner last night was beef stir fry and noodles. DH and I enjoyed it but the children did their usual picking! Tonight will be a chicken curry using a jar as I haven't organised myself enough and DH is out straight from work.
    Tragic news from Vegas. DS1 is currently in Seattle and in North Korea's range apparently, so I will be glad when he's home on Saturday.
    Will strip the kids beds later and get those washed.
    Hugs to all in need,
    Coxy
    Cross-stitch WIP #1: Collecting Shells by Nancy Cole
    Cross-stitch WIP #2: Gingerbread Trio by Little House Needleworks
    • camelot1001
    • By camelot1001 3rd Oct 17, 6:51 AM
    • 3,507 Posts
    • 40,542 Thanks
    camelot1001
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:51 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:51 AM
    Morning All

It's very calm outside after the storms of the past few day, hope it stays that way.

I managed to get a Drs appt yesterday and I have a chest infection so Anti-Bs for me, very shocked to get an appt on my first phone call!

No washing to do this morning but the DW has been emptied and I have chopped a salad for lunch, the lunch hall had lovely soup on yesterday so hoping I can scrounge some left overs from them too.

Hope you're all well and enjoy Tuesday. Take care. XX
    • redruby
    • By redruby 3rd Oct 17, 7:10 AM
    • 6,451 Posts
    • 89,205 Thanks
    redruby
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:10 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:10 AM
    Morning all

Feels a lot colder here this morning but its not raining, off to work for me, it was very quiet yesterday so hopefully today will be the same.

Something with chicken for dinner, I might do a hot sauce and rice and peas with it, dd is off you to see a friend so will eat there.

DD started stripping the paper from her room last night, she only had one wall papered but it was put up very well it seems and was a struggle to get it off, she has done a fair bit, once done we are going to paint the room to freshen it up, OH will then build her new wardrobe on Saturday.

I am really suffering with my feet atm and struggling to walk, im on my feet all day at work and we walk about 8 miles in a day, so I have ordered some new boots which are meant to be really comfortable, I think they are mainly for the 'older' generation but I really don't care I need to be comfortable !

LW have you tried 'Summer in winter Chicken' ? Its so easy to make and I substitute the chicken for quorn for DD, its a really simple recipe and with only a few ingredients xxx

Right have good days all xx
    • Hollyharvey
    • By Hollyharvey 3rd Oct 17, 7:14 AM
    • 1,023 Posts
    • 8,264 Thanks
    Hollyharvey
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:14 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:14 AM
    Morning everyone,

Thanks for the thread nmlc.

After a miserable start yesterday morning it turned out a nice sunny afternoon so I managed to get all of the washing done and line dried. At this time of the year I consider it a bonus every time I manage this.

There are a few bits of housework that I need to do today, and I need to sort out the end of month accounts and have the usual monthly look at exactly what I have spent the money on, and if there is anywhere I could cut my spending.

Other than that, there isn’t a lot going on today.

Dinner tonight will be bubble and squeak with a gammon steak.

Have a good day whatever you are doing.
    • tru
    • By tru 3rd Oct 17, 7:24 AM
    • 8,559 Posts
    • 42,895 Thanks
    tru
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:24 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:24 AM
    Morning

A friend's son is in Vegas, he's staying in a nearby hotel. I thought he'd be OK, the concert isn't his type of music, but you never know, do you? Spoke to his parents on FB last night, the police locked the hotel down but he had no idea anything had happened, he was asleep at the time.

The holiday place is fab, we've had to keep the blinds closed in the front window though, Scampi objects to people walking past, lol But he approves of the place, I know this because he told me as soon as we arrived, by peeing up the side of the bed We've spent most of our time on the beach so far, the weather is hit and miss but it doesn't matter – we get just as messy whether it's sunny or raining
    We have to be careful, portuguese man o war are washing up on beaches all over the place. Scampi doesn't go too far from us when other dogs are around – though he's made a few new friends – so it's easy to keep him at the top of the beach. I waited til he was distracted then went for a closer look and to take some photos. Fascinating things and they look like pinky purple pasties

My OS effort for the week was a homemade cottage pie, made on saturday and finished off last night. The rest of the week will probably be pasties and fish and chips, with the odd bit of fruit so I can tell myself I'm being good

Bulletproof
    • ancientofdays
    • By ancientofdays 3rd Oct 17, 8:17 AM
    • 1,210 Posts
    • 13,541 Thanks
    ancientofdays
    • 3rd Oct 17, 8:17 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 8:17 AM
    Morning all, a bright, clear day here and my washing is ready for OH aka reverse burglar.

I'm breakfasted, showered and about to get ready for work. An all-morning meeting, oh how that gladdens my heart, what a treat. Sarcastic? Moi?

I'm doing paperwork at home this afternoon, OH can do cooking. He made a casserole or hotpot last night with leftover pork and a cooking apple (plus other things) very thrifty.

I went to bed early, slept unusually well, apart from a loo break after a nightmare, fortunately I can't remember what it was about, just the waking up in a state of dread. It was noticeably cold in the middle of the night too.

I had better get going or I'll be late for the meeting, oh the horror.

Hope everyone has a good day
    Last edited by ancientofdays; 03-10-2017 at 8:18 AM. Reason: Autogetitwrong strikes sgain
    I was jumping to conclusions and one of them jumped back
    • LaineyT
    • By LaineyT 3rd Oct 17, 8:33 AM
    • 1,601 Posts
    • 18,886 Thanks
    LaineyT
    • 3rd Oct 17, 8:33 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 8:33 AM
    Morning everyone,

Dry and bright here today, thankfully the wind has dropped right down so the WM is on and the bedding can go out, didn't dare risk it yesterday!
    We have another little mouse visitor, this time in the boiler cupboard where we keep the dog food and birdseed ( both in plastic containers) humane traps with peanut butter now down.
    Not much else to report, chicken and veg curry for supper, with added lentils to stretch the two very small chicken thighs

Have a good day folks x
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 3rd Oct 17, 8:50 AM
    • 15,391 Posts
    • 125,381 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good morning chums a bright and sunny day here in north kent (for the moment at least )
    Lamewolf my DD has to have her left foot done first as that is the one thats the most badly affected with the plantar fasciitis, but there is a possibility she will need the right one done next year Its really an awful situation for her as part of her job involves driving,so she will be marooned in the office for about 4-6 weeks.and I will be ferrying here to and fro (I don't mind that at all as I just want her to be able to walk again without so much pain) Bless her I think its really getting her down at the moment. Its gone on for far too long ,over a year now.

I took DGD Holly to her hospital appointment and she has to go back in another four weeks although the DR said she can drive as long as its carefully and she doesn't put too much pressure on her foot and the best part for her is she can discard the boot .
    This morning I am off to the hairdresser as I am looking like shaun the sheep at the moment slowly disappearing behind my mop of hair.

Watching TV last night I just find it so sad when we live in such an amazing world that a maniac can be allowed to buy and use a gun so easily.Those poor families who have lost their loved ones and the amount of injured
    When will guns be got rid of for goodness sake I can see no reason why anyone should be able to carry or use a gun unless you are in the armed forces. What is the matter with people we live in a wonderful world and life is so precious yet deranged folk seem to be able to get hold of these awful things with ease.I despair of humanity at times,haven't we had enough of war and killing each other. Man certainly will be the exterminator of this planet one way or another.

Take care everyone and think for a minute of the folk devastated by this lunatic and the amount of sadnesshe has left behind for hundreds of people

JackieO xxx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • SpekySquarehead
    • By SpekySquarehead 3rd Oct 17, 9:04 AM
    • 1,698 Posts
    • 13,268 Thanks
    SpekySquarehead
    Morning everyone,

Tuesday. The gym at 6.30am is always really busy on a Tuesday. Every week, without fail. The busiest morning of them all. My gym buddy and I are puzzled every week. And it's not becuase there's classes on or anything. Just busy. I assume it's people who couldn't be bothered on a Monday and so force them the next day.

Played football last night which was really good fun. My avocado was on the way out but I fired it in a tortilla with chicken. Speaking of chicken, I forgot to take a breast out the freezer for tonight. !!!!!!!!.

My mate's coming over for a game of FIFA then we'll watch the GBBO together. He's been on holiday for 3 weeks so I haven't seen him plus he also loves the GBBO.

Hope everyone has a lovely day.

AOD - Hope it's not too painful!
    Debt Free Date: 29/09/16
    • csarina2
    • By csarina2 3rd Oct 17, 9:18 AM
    • 1,697 Posts
    • 15,646 Thanks
    csarina2
    Morning ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) if you need one.

We have a large orange thing in the garden, stands out like a sore thumb, yes the shed is up, they arrived just after 4pm and were away just after 6pm. OH now has to treat it with preservative, so he will be doing one bit at a time, when the weather permits. Dark brown I think, we have a large tub of preservative in the shed, enough for the job. Pity we have not got a sprayer, it would take half the time using that.

I slept ok last night in the sewing room, apparently OH was still awake at 3am, now he knows what its like for me!! He is still in bed, have taken his breakfast through. Cannot do anything till he gets up, need to scrub the wet room floor etc.

It did get quite windy and cold late yesterday afternoon, there appears just to be a gentle breeze this morning, not that I have any washing to do.

The things going on in the world just now really horrify me.......it just makes me wonder where it will end...........

Sausage, mash and the remains of last nights beans for supper tonight. We had the last of the raspberries for dessert last night with some ice cream.
    • Nelski
    • By Nelski 3rd Oct 17, 9:21 AM
    • 12,062 Posts
    • 34,310 Thanks
    Nelski
    Morning

The saga of mums heating continues unbelievably the little pr**k of an electrician was a no show again after promising faithfully he would be there for 4. Poor mum was in tears again. My text to him explained plainly and succinctly in words of very few syllables what i thought of him.....oh if he had been in the room with me.......i was/am furious
    Anyway the man who got it going on sunday is going to go back today and at least he is reliable which she needs. Cant believe this farce continues

Got to nip out for some bits today and to pick up some tickets for a train journey this week. Will head for mums too to give her a hug this has been so stressful for her.

no idea on food yet but it will be something simple last night I missed food entirely with all the phone calls and worry.

Putting it all into perspective though 59 dead and 500 injured in LA such a tragedy. Lets hope this prompts some discussion around gun laws now I know they will not change overnight but maybe this will shake them up.

Enjoy your day everyone
    Last edited by Nelski; 03-10-2017 at 12:58 PM.
    • snoozer
    • By snoozer 3rd Oct 17, 11:17 AM
    • 1,864 Posts
    • 18,356 Thanks
    snoozer
    Nelski, unfortunately I don't think it will change much-the NRA is such a powerful lobby and gives Republican politicians so much money to support their agenda.

I've taken Ziggypup out, scrubbed the pressure cooker that was standing in the sink and cleaned the hob, although it seems to have gained some really stubborn marks, I think from said pressure cooker last night!

I'm glad I went out when I did because the clouds are building up now. I think this afternoon is a sewing one.
    • RosyRed
    • By RosyRed 3rd Oct 17, 11:35 AM
    • 1,663 Posts
    • 19,880 Thanks
    RosyRed
    Morning all,

I've been MIA (again ) with a tummy bug but feeling a bit better today.Watched the news with horror.I cant understand evil like that.The thought that there are 300m guns in the USA was horrifying too.It brings it home how quickly life can change-DS1 was in Vegas a couple of months ago ,DS2 has been a few times and loved it So sad for families affected.

No work for DH again so he is down in the cellar finishing boarding and plastering-well he's done the actual room and is on with the steps now.He altered them last year so they weren't as steep so at least it wont take too long to do that.Its painted ,lights in,just waiting for the electrician to finish connecting to the mains.The floor will need a good clean up,plaster dust etc.We were going to put some reclaimed wood floor down,but DH thinks he might be a few boards short ,he'll have to measure up when the room is empty.
    AOD ,your meal last night sounded virtually identical to ours I'm still being very frugal,making lots of soups,pies ,loaves etc in a bid to eke out our tight budget.I've got a pack of mince out for tea,just have to decide what to do with it- I cant go down the spag bol,chilli route as DS2 is allergic to tomatoes so probably stovies,cottage pie etc.
    Hope you all have as good a day as possible,I shall just keep on spreading kindness wherever I can in this uncertain world xx
    'A woman is like a teabag: You never know her strength until you drop her in hot water'. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
    • nannywindow
    • By nannywindow 3rd Oct 17, 2:10 PM
    • 353 Posts
    • 4,246 Thanks
    nannywindow
    Afternoon everyone and thanks to those who missed me.
    This morning we have been to Abergavenny as it's market day and I ended up buying some Halloween stuff in a pound type shop . While we were there Mr Fix It had a funny turn so we sat for a while till it passed. He's ok now thank goodness.
    Then Mr Fix It took me for lunch to cheer me up and a very large steak and ale pie, potatoes, veg and gravy was enjoyed muchly. (But now I shall have to forego food for the rest of the week as the portion was huge ! )
    Just enjoying a coffee and then I shall mow the lawns, might use my puppy dog eyes on Mr Fix It and see if I can enlist his help . It usually works .
    No tea tonight except probably a cuppa and a cherry cookie, made yesterday with DGD's help. Must admit they are moreish and not all of them made their way home with her .
    RR and Camelot gentle hugs and get well soon
    Tru enjoy your holiday.
    Nelski sending you special hugs and I hope things get sorted sooner rather than later.
    Anyway must do the lawns so I hope everyone has a lovely Tuesday and hugs to all those who may need one or want one.
    • Gers
    • By Gers 3rd Oct 17, 3:23 PM
    • 5,829 Posts
    • 34,231 Thanks
    Gers
    Afternoon all.

Back from teaching, not a bad session. One student absent, one had to go home cos he was ill, one reluctant, one with ESL and one very unconfident!

I had a really good chat with my colleague before teaching and another one with a different colleague afterwards - both were so helpful and encouraging, showing me stuff I didn't know existed on our video conferencing platform. It'll make the Wednesday sessions so much easier for students and me.

Afterwards I went back to the nurse for another freezing of the lump on my back, a little part of it is being stubborn! I'm now fast-forwarding through HuH for a bit of down time. Can't be doing with the whole programme, just like to see the transformations.

The wind has got back up again, not as bad as yesterday but definitely strong enough for shaking things up.

Hope everyone is doing well.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 3rd Oct 17, 6:06 PM
    • 9,783 Posts
    • 105,323 Thanks
    LameWolf
    LW have you tried 'Summer in winter Chicken' ? Its so easy to make and I substitute the chicken for quorn for DD, its a really simple recipe and with only a few ingredients xxx
    Originally posted by redruby
    I'd not heard of that before - just Googled it, and it looks like a good idea, so thanks for that. I always have Quorn fillets in the freezer, too - and I even have basil growing on the kitchen windowsill.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

208Posts Today

1,126Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin