Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • seatbeltnoob
    • By seatbeltnoob 3rd Oct 17, 12:49 AM
    • 270Posts
    • 67Thanks
    seatbeltnoob
    Speed rating of tyres
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:49 AM
    Speed rating of tyres 3rd Oct 17 at 12:49 AM
    How important is speed rating on tyres?

I can see £5 difference in price between the same model of tyre (speed difference being H & V). The speeds are 130mph & 149mph respectively.

I dont do anything more than 80mph. Ususally stick to the speed limit. Would choosing either H or V tyre affect me?
Page 2
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 4th Oct 17, 12:01 PM
    • 1,298 Posts
    • 615 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    Regarding insurance and tyres, I came across a guy who had written his car off in a single vehicle RTC on a dual carriageway, his insurance wouldn’t pay out as they claimed he had a defective tyre. While it wasn’t a speed rating issue, if faced with a potentially expensive claim insurance companies will look for reasons to not pay out.

There was a case on TV a while ago where someone had purchased a second hand car fitted with a spoiler on the rear, the insurance company wouldn’t pay out on the write off, as they hadn’t been informed of the modification- the buyer wrongly assumed the car came as standard with a spoiler.
    • seatbeltnoob
    • By seatbeltnoob 10th Oct 17, 2:07 PM
    • 270 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    seatbeltnoob
    I think the tyre speed rating are used more for the attributes of the tyre compound rather than the speed itself. Tyres rated at higher speeds are likely to have better flex.

Look at the slow mo of the drag racing tyres: https://youtu.be/rw3LE78gwhg?t=21s

The recommended speed rating goes up as you use lower profile. Which suggests to me that the thinner sidewall (profile) needs to be even more flexible in order to compensate for less material available.
    • BeenThroughItAll
    • By BeenThroughItAll 10th Oct 17, 4:02 PM
    • 4,614 Posts
    • 4,041 Thanks
    BeenThroughItAll
    I think the tyre speed rating are used more for the attributes of the tyre compound rather than the speed itself. Tyres rated at higher speeds are likely to have better flex.

Look at the slow mo of the drag racing tyres: https://youtu.be/rw3LE78gwhg?t=21s

The recommended speed rating goes up as you use lower profile. Which suggests to me that the thinner sidewall (profile) needs to be even more flexible in order to compensate for less material available.
    Originally posted by seatbeltnoob
    Well, you'd be wrong. Lower profile tyres are almost always significantly stiffer than higher profile tyres. Plus, you can buy higher profile tyres in higher speed ratings. An example - 205/50/15, with a V (149MPH) rating, or 205/50/16 with a W (168MPH) rating - neither are exactly 'low profile' with a 10.25 cm sidewall.
    • seatbeltnoob
    • By seatbeltnoob 11th Oct 17, 11:30 AM
    • 270 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    seatbeltnoob
    Well, you'd be wrong. Lower profile tyres are almost always significantly stiffer than higher profile tyres. Plus, you can buy higher profile tyres in higher speed ratings. An example - 205/50/15, with a V (149MPH) rating, or 205/50/16 with a W (168MPH) rating - neither are exactly 'low profile' with a 10.25 cm sidewall.
    Originally posted by BeenThroughItAll
    I'm talking about flexibility of the material, not tyre. I.e. per cubic cm of material from a low profile tyre to that of a high profile tyre.

The profile of the tyre is exactly the same in your example they're both 50% of 205.

Yes you can buy tyres in all sorts of speed ratings, but I'm talking about different tyre profiles on the same car where the manufacturer as specified different speed ratings for different profiles.

Gosh you love to argue for the sake of arguing.
    Last edited by seatbeltnoob; 11-10-2017 at 11:33 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,419Posts Today

4,613Users online

Martin's Twitter