Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • seatbeltnoob
    • By seatbeltnoob 3rd Oct 17, 12:49 AM
    • 219Posts
    • 54Thanks
    seatbeltnoob
    Speed rating of tyres
    • 3rd Oct 17, 12:49 AM
    Speed rating of tyres 3rd Oct 17 at 12:49 AM
    How important is speed rating on tyres?

I can see £5 difference in price between the same model of tyre (speed difference being H & V). The speeds are 130mph & 149mph respectively.

I dont do anything more than 80mph. Ususally stick to the speed limit. Would choosing either H or V tyre affect me?
Page 1
    • Carrot007
    • By Carrot007 3rd Oct 17, 1:31 AM
    • 617 Posts
    • 507 Thanks
    Carrot007
    • 3rd Oct 17, 1:31 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 1:31 AM
    You would be fine.

However should you get in an accident and have not declared you modification to your insurers (for an increased fee no doubt) your insurance would be invalid.
    • Apodemus
    • By Apodemus 3rd Oct 17, 6:46 AM
    • 929 Posts
    • 728 Thanks
    Apodemus
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:46 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:46 AM
    You would be fine.

However should you get in an accident and have not declared you modification to your insurers (for an increased fee no doubt) your insurance would be invalid.
    Originally posted by Carrot007
    Is this really true?
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 3rd Oct 17, 6:51 AM
    • 1,214 Posts
    • 567 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:51 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:51 AM
    As per Carrot, I would be careful to ensure your tyres are to the same specification as the original tyres fitted by the manufacturer. The exception being if you fit winter tyres, which may be a lower speed rating. Some cars have a winter tyre speed warning you can set on the dash/instrument panel.

FWIW, my insurance company (LV) don't have an issue with using winter tyres in winter, but some may consider it a modification.
    • force ten
    • By force ten 3rd Oct 17, 7:13 AM
    • 1,655 Posts
    • 1,122 Thanks
    force ten
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:13 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:13 AM
    fitting a higher speed rated tyre is ok but it not advisable to fit a lower speed rated tyre than was originally fitted to the car from new

if the car was fitted with a tryre that was rated V/149 miles per hour and you replace it with a tyre rated H/130 miles per hour then it could potentially void your insurance in the event of a claim

the fact that you never drive at speeds higher than the national speed limit means nothing and the tyre should still be the correct speed rating for the car, original tyre ratings will be on the label on the drivers door pillar
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 3rd Oct 17, 7:40 AM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 3,323 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:40 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:40 AM

the fact that you never drive at speeds higher than the national speed limit means nothing and the tyre should still be the correct speed rating for the car, original tyre ratings will be on the label on the drivers door pillar
    Originally posted by force ten

This, basically. Yes, I have to agree with you - it seems daft to have a tyre capable of 149mph ( or even 130mph ) when any sensible driver would never get anywhere near that speed ( indeed, my own car would not even be able to go that fast even if I wanted to ! ). But - that's what the manufacturer specifies, so that's what you have to have, from the insurer's point of view. As per the above, you can fit a higher rated tyre if you want, but not lower.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • Apodemus
    • By Apodemus 3rd Oct 17, 8:03 AM
    • 929 Posts
    • 728 Thanks
    Apodemus
    • 3rd Oct 17, 8:03 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 8:03 AM
    fitting a higher speed rated tyre is ok but it not advisable to fit a lower speed rated tyre than was originally fitted to the car from new

if the car was fitted with a tryre that was rated V/149 miles per hour and you replace it with a tyre rated H/130 miles per hour then it could potentially void your insurance in the event of a claim

Originally posted by force ten
    Fair enough.

Just checked both the door pillar and manual for mine and neither specify a speed rating. Simply gives a range of wheel sizes and then 160kph/100mph above the laden and unladen tyre pressures. Perhaps it’s a more recent thing than my car. Presumably not an isssue, though...current tyres are rated v front and w rear.
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 3rd Oct 17, 8:52 AM
    • 5,801 Posts
    • 5,284 Thanks
    Herzlos
    • 3rd Oct 17, 8:52 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 8:52 AM
    The handbook should give a list of recommended tyre details, that should include the speed rating.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 3rd Oct 17, 9:25 AM
    • 15,297 Posts
    • 13,637 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 3rd Oct 17, 9:25 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 9:25 AM
    Your tyres need to conform to the manufacturer's specification - including to the minimum speed and load rating that they give.

If they give H rated as acceptable, buy the H.

What size and ratings are given?
    • Joe Horner
    • By Joe Horner 3rd Oct 17, 9:41 AM
    • 4,128 Posts
    • 3,612 Thanks
    Joe Horner
    This is one of those odd questions that everyone "knows the answer" but there appears to be absolutely no evidence to back it up except for (a) warnings from people selling tyres and (b) everyone knowing the answer.

As far as I can find there's no evidence that insurers care, or have ever refused / limited a claim, as long as the tyres are road legal - which a tyre with a lower speed rating is in this country.

No FOS rulings, no warnings from any insurance companies or insurance industry press, ad 9really unusually) not even any 2I know a bloke down the pub who...." anecdotes.

The only real answer would come from asking insurers, and the only definitive answer would come from a decision by the FOS. Neither of those seem to have happened, yet "everybody knows".
    • seatbeltnoob
    • By seatbeltnoob 3rd Oct 17, 12:22 PM
    • 219 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    seatbeltnoob
    Has there been any recorded cases of an insurance company voiding insurance for this. Seems extremely asinine.
    • wgl2014
    • By wgl2014 3rd Oct 17, 12:55 PM
    • 317 Posts
    • 173 Thanks
    wgl2014
    It would seem unlikely that an insurer would be able to void a policy or refuse to pay out unless the tyre was shown to have been unsuitable or contributed to the accident.
    Personally I wouldn't worry about it, if you are concerned a call to your insurer would be worth it for peace of mind before you buy your new tyres.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 3rd Oct 17, 1:31 PM
    • 3,350 Posts
    • 3,395 Thanks
    DoaM
    Are there any notable difference between H and V rated tyres (apart from the obvious speed rating)?

For £5 a corner price difference I'd probably not bother with any potential hassle and stick with the correctly-rated* tyres.

(Which will come from the handbook, as already said a few times. H rated might already be OK, in which case - Yay! £20 saved).
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 3rd Oct 17, 1:49 PM
    • 15,297 Posts
    • 13,637 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Are there any notable difference between H and V rated tyres (apart from the obvious speed rating)?

For £5 a corner price difference I'd probably not bother with any potential hassle and stick with the correctly-rated* tyres.

(Which will come from the handbook, as already said a few times. H rated might already be OK, in which case - Yay! £20 saved).
    Originally posted by DoaM
    It's also entirely possible that the lower-rated tyres will be Chinese ditchfinders - in which case, the more expensive tyre is better value, even without considering the speed rating issue.
    • seatbeltnoob
    • By seatbeltnoob 3rd Oct 17, 2:03 PM
    • 219 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    seatbeltnoob
    Both the tyres I'm looking at are the same model of goodyear, the costco website had 3 of them listed at difference prices with different speed ratings.

If they could void insurance over that than 3/4 of the cars driving around today are probably on invalid insurance.

On my car the manufactuer gives 4 different tyre profiles (for 4 different rim sizes), each of them with different speed ratings (higher speed ratings for lower profile tyre).
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 3rd Oct 17, 4:36 PM
    • 15,297 Posts
    • 13,637 Thanks
    AdrianC
    On my car the manufactuer gives 4 different tyre profiles (for 4 different rim sizes), each of them with different speed ratings (higher speed ratings for lower profile tyre).
    Originally posted by seatbeltnoob
    And what size is given for the rims you have fitted?
    • z1a
    • By z1a 3rd Oct 17, 6:58 PM
    • 689 Posts
    • 538 Thanks
    z1a
    " Yes, I have to agree with you - it seems daft to have a tyre capable of 149mph ( or even 130mph ) when any sensible driver would never get anywhere near that speed "

Umm, speak for yourself.
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 4th Oct 17, 6:46 AM
    • 3,929 Posts
    • 3,323 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge

Umm, speak for yourself.
    Originally posted by z1a
    Please explain ? I didn't say it was daft, I was agreeing that it seems daft. I'm sure there's a sound reason behind it.

As I said, I fully agree that the tyres must meet the original manufacturer's specification. But why are my tyres rated to 140-odd mph when the top speed of the car ( according to the handbook ) is only something like 118 mph ? And in practice it never comes anywhere near to that speed.
    Last edited by Ebe Scrooge; 04-10-2017 at 6:52 AM.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 4th Oct 17, 8:39 AM
    • 12,915 Posts
    • 17,108 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Please explain ? I didn't say it was daft, I was agreeing that it seems daft. I'm sure there's a sound reason behind it.

As I said, I fully agree that the tyres must meet the original manufacturer's specification. But why are my tyres rated to 140-odd mph when the top speed of the car ( according to the handbook ) is only something like 118 mph ? And in practice it never comes anywhere near to that speed.
    Originally posted by Ebe Scrooge
    It may have something to do with the load rating. Speed and load are linked.

For example, the load rating for trailer tyres can be exceeded by 10% in the UK because trailers are restricted to just 60 mph max.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • Iceweasel
    • By Iceweasel 4th Oct 17, 9:55 AM
    • 4,222 Posts
    • 3,082 Thanks
    Iceweasel
    it seems daft to have a tyre capable of 149mph ( or even 130mph ) when any sensible driver would never get anywhere near that speed
    Originally posted by Ebe Scrooge
    It's that 'sensible driver' bit that I'm not happy about.

So sensible drivers don't ever take their cars out of the UK!

130mph on the Isle of Mann is not too difficult to achieve in safety - and legally.

Not to mention in Germany where I was driving for a fair few miles at just over 150mph this last Sunday and Monday.

My car is electronically limited to 155mph and my tires are Y rated - i.e 186mph.

Should I downgrade to W or perhaps V and save a few bob?

I think not.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,923Posts Today

5,035Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin