Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Luke114
    • By Luke114 2nd Oct 17, 11:33 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Luke114
    Tenancy agreement professional cleaning clause
    • 2nd Oct 17, 11:33 PM
    Tenancy agreement professional cleaning clause 2nd Oct 17 at 11:33 PM
    Hi
    I am looking at a tenancy agreement for a fr a property I am about to rent and noticed 2 clauses in the end of tenancy section that say the tenant will:
    1. "Arrange and pay for professional cleaning of the property by a professional company."
    2. "Arrange and pay for professional cleaning and flea treatment of carpets by a professional company."
    Are the above clauses enforceable?
    Also I have read in the in the TDS "approach to unfair contract terms" guidelines that clauses like that is not automatically deemed fair but may become so if specifically negotiated with the tenant.

So I am not sure should I broach the subject with the Agent in case they will not want to remove it?
    How should I proceed?
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 2nd Oct 17, 11:48 PM
    • 42,318 Posts
    • 49,160 Thanks
    G_M
    • 2nd Oct 17, 11:48 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 11:48 PM
    Oh dear. Not again!

Tell me - what is a 'professional company' in this context?

I know of no professional qualifications or examinations required to set up a cleaning company.
    Is there a distinction between a one-person sole trader who works full-time as a cleaner, and a Ltd Company employing 20 staff?

And then of course there's your mum, who as we all know is a fanatical cleaner and does a far better job than any 'professional company' that rushes in and rushes out!

I would ignore these clauses and argue the toss at the end. But be prepared:

* ensure that the check-in inventory accurately reflects the condition when you move in, including noting dirt (look in the oven!), dust etc. If it does not, amend it by adding comments yourself before signing. Take and keep a copy.

* take photos at the start, especially of any grubby areas, as evidnce when you leave

* ensure you leave the property in the same or better state at the end, but don't wory how you achieve this ie get your mum round!

* as for the fleas clause, I assume you have pets? If so, that is reasonable. If not, just cross it out & initial. Again, make sure you keep a copy of the tenancy agreement.
    Last edited by G_M; 03-10-2017 at 11:30 AM.
    • kinger101
    • By kinger101 2nd Oct 17, 11:51 PM
    • 3,956 Posts
    • 5,416 Thanks
    kinger101
    • 2nd Oct 17, 11:51 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 11:51 PM
    I wouldn't get them to remove it, as they'll view you as a troublemaker. Just sign knowing it's an invalid clause. Document the condition of the carpet when you move in, with photographs if necessary.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 3rd Oct 17, 3:15 AM
    • 4,916 Posts
    • 6,883 Thanks
    deannatrois
    • 3rd Oct 17, 3:15 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 3:15 AM
    And make sure you keep back up copies of the tenancy agreement and photos. Phones get stolen, break etc. tenancy agreements can get lost.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,197Posts Today

5,804Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• Follow Martin