Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sofarbehind
    • By sofarbehind 2nd Oct 17, 10:10 PM
    • 246Posts
    • 1,036Thanks
    sofarbehind
    buyers remorse - six months later
    • 2nd Oct 17, 10:10 PM
    buyers remorse - six months later 2nd Oct 17 at 10:10 PM
    After years of saving and dreaming I finally bought a house six months ago. It's a really nice little house. I couldn't sleep for the first couple of weeks after I moved, I felt that I had made a mistake moving to a new area.

The new area is quiet and I have good neighbours but there are no things to do nearby and I feel miserable and lonely here. It was a practical choice, more affordable than where I was renting. I miss having things to do nearby, I find I am less motivated to travel to do things and spend too much time home alone. I thought I would feel better after six months but I don't and I just want to move back to my old area. Has anyone else been in this position? Did you move or did things just get better over time? I'm embarrassed and surprised by my feelings..

Do I need to wait at least a year before I can sell? I just want to move to a flat in my old neighbourhood.
    Last edited by sofarbehind; 02-10-2017 at 10:15 PM.
    Save 12k in 2015, Number #052 (19.4k)
    Save 12k in 2016, Number #031 (15.1)
    Student loan remaining: £0
    Huge mortgage £145K
Page 2
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 4th Oct 17, 1:31 PM
    • 9,835 Posts
    • 12,480 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Cheers - was the 2nd more vague one, but there was a similar one, although depression was involved but they deeply regretted moving and he wanted to move back. Ta
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 4th Oct 17, 1:48 PM
    • 538 Posts
    • 885 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    Cheers - was the 2nd more vague one, but there was a similar one, although depression was involved but they deeply regretted moving and he wanted to move back. Ta
    Originally posted by hazyjo
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5710635&page=2

Shame he hasn't bothered to update.
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 4th Oct 17, 1:50 PM
    • 9,835 Posts
    • 12,480 Thanks
    hazyjo
    Originally posted by BorisThomson
    That was it! Thanks
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms; hamper (food/wine/Echo Dot/Jo Malone goodies); Avon lippies; cowhide rug; Windsor luxury break, foundation; Flybe flight
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 4th Oct 17, 3:24 PM
    • 6,084 Posts
    • 7,832 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    In terms of timing, the real issue tends to be with selling within 6 months of buying, as this can make it very difficult a buyer to get a mortgage, as it can raise red flags for the lender about potential money laundering issues.

Selling quickly after buying may raise questions in potential buyer's minds as they may worry that there is a problem with neighbours or with the property that you are trying to escape, so if you do decide to sell, be ready for that question !

You mention that you've been signed off by your GP - do you think that you may be unhappy where you are because of the bereavement? i.e. is it possible that you dislike of the house and area are a symptom rather than a cause/ If so, it may be worth giving it a little longer to see whether things start to improve.

moving house again will be expensive (and bear in mind that you'll have all the same costs you've just spent, to buy a new place, plus estate agents fees and a second set of legal fees for the sale)

would it be possible for you to invite some of your friends over, or arrange to met up with them somewhere in the middle so you're only looking at a 15 minutes drive rather than 30 minutes?

If you are in a small town or village, see if there is anything you can join locally, so you start to get to know people. Even if it is not your top activity, joining things is a good way to get to know people and that in turn can help you to find people and activities you enjoy more.

Good luck with whatever you do decide.
    • cloo
    • By cloo 4th Oct 17, 3:40 PM
    • 918 Posts
    • 813 Thanks
    cloo
    If your GP thinks signing you off is appropriate, maybe it's more than the house/area. I'm not sure that the stress of moving around now is what you need. Something like the Feeling Good Handbook by David D Burns is a good, practical approach to negative feelings, it could help you feel differently about the house and reframe things a bit?

Also maybe you are finding it hard to look at things in the longer run. Do you aim to have family one day? If so, staying in a larger property is much better financially in the long run. Do you have a spare room you could rent? It's not that much hassle to do (I did it in my first place), and would give you some more money as well as company.

I'm sorry you are feeling so down and hope things improve for you soon, however you decide to manage them.
    • MoneyEM
    • By MoneyEM 5th Oct 17, 11:44 AM
    • 94 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    MoneyEM
    I'm not buying the project house cause it's all I can afford, it's because long term, when I can afford to, I want to renovate houses as a full time job. It's all I can see myself doing.

I have had some (limited) experience of renovating a property, in March my mum bought an investment property to renovate and sell. I took some time off work to help out, stripped carpets, stripped walls and knocked off old tiles from the bathroom and helped restore kitchen cupboards. Hers has been a great success story, I understand it was 5 months of hard work for her but she has made 60k pre tax profit.
    • Planet Switzerland
    • By Planet Switzerland 8th Oct 17, 9:04 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    Planet Switzerland
    When I bought a property it was in the same postcode area, but at the opposite end so in some ways does feel like a different area, I've not been down my old street since I moved out.

My old place was a 5 minute walk from the tube station, now I'm 20 minutes away in another direction. I knew I'd miss the old place and would get annoyed with the extra walking time, which I do.

However, what I did when I moved was look at what I had in close proximity that my old place didn't have.

Previously I never drank at any of the local pubs as they were quite scary, now I have a pub 5 minutes away which is a bit foody for my liking, but its somewhere I can go for a drink without getting the tube into Central London.

My local kebab house which I never knew existed before does the nicest kebab I've had in London.

My nearest shop previously quite often didn't sell what I wanted to buy so I'd have to walk further into a not so nice area, now I have a big Sainsburys a similar distance away that has everything I need.

It's little things like that which make me not miss the old place like I thought I would.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,982Posts Today

7,676Users online

Martin's Twitter