Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Themadcow
    • By Themadcow 2nd Oct 17, 10:08 PM
    • 17Posts
    • 11Thanks
    Themadcow
    NCP PCN - appeal denied going 1 minute over stay due to injured child
    • 2nd Oct 17, 10:08 PM
    NCP PCN - appeal denied going 1 minute over stay due to injured child 2nd Oct 17 at 10:08 PM
    Hi all,

My wife was recently issued a PCN for going 1 minute over stay (exit time 11:45, time on ticket 11:44) in an NCP car park.

I maybe hastily appealed this, citing that the reason for the delayed exit was that my child had broken their leg, and that my wife needed to spend longer than anticipated transferring them from wheelchair into the car. The NCP car park is opposite a hospital fracture clinic, and I have evidence of the injury.

Despite this, NCP turned down my appeal citing breach of contract and said "they have considered the comments you have made" but did not directly mention the mitigating circumstances of my child's broken leg.

Does anyone know what steps I should take next? Obviously they are going with the blackmail approach that I can appeal to POPLA but if unsuccessful I will be liable for £100 rather than £60, which is pretty disgusting.

Any knowledgeable advice would be welcome!

Thanks,
Page 2
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 3rd Oct 17, 7:43 PM
    • 4,747 Posts
    • 3,087 Thanks
    KeithP
    As others have said, that one minute thing is ridiculous.

However, your explanation seems to lack information.
    Probably because NCP simply haven't supplied you with that info.

You have told us:
    They have exit photographed at 11:45:37, and ticket shows 11:44 expiry.
    As the site is 'managed', I use the term loosely, by ANPR camaras, what time was the car recorded as having entered the car park?

The PCN tells us that "the period of parking was recorded by an approved ANPR camera", so a question must be "how long was it after arriving at the car park before the driver bought a ticket?"

Do you have a timed entry photograph?
    • Themadcow
    • By Themadcow 3rd Oct 17, 8:08 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Themadcow
    Yup, have timed entry as well - 4 minutes before the ticket was purchased. They really are trying to fine us for a minute overstay, even with a child in a wheelchair thrown into the mix.

I've also written to NCP's customer service (not appeals) team to tell them what actions I've taken and are planning to take... you know, just in case they want to change their mind about the decision
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 3rd Oct 17, 8:16 PM
    • 4,747 Posts
    • 3,087 Thanks
    KeithP
    Yup, have timed entry as well - 4 minutes before the ticket was purchased. They really are trying to fine us for a minute overstay...
    Originally posted by Themadcow
    In which case it's a five minute overstay, isn't it? Still ridiculous.

Very easily won at POLPA using 'grace periods'.
    • Themadcow
    • By Themadcow 16th Oct 17, 12:28 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Themadcow
    Hi all,

Firstly, thanks again to everyone who helped with advice. I just got this from the BPA (British Parking Association):

Thank you for your e-mail below.

I have received a response from NCP Limited who advise that you were issued with a Parking Charge Notice incorrectly and they have confirmed that their policy is to allow a 10 minute grace period as per clause 13.4 of our Code of Practice. NCP Limited advise that this mistake was due to human error.

NCP Limited explained that you were required to enter your full vehicle registration number into the pay machine. On this occasion you only entered ‘1’ which meant the system didn’t recognise there was a payment associated to the vehicle.

NCP Limited reassure us that the team make several checks once a possible contravention is identified, however, on this occasion, as mentioned above, a human error was made.

I have been advised that NCP Limited have now cancelled this Parking Charge.

I hope that the above information is of assistance to you.

As this investigation is considered concluded, the case has been closed.

Kind regards,

Get in

Incidentally, the reason "1" was entered rather than the full reg was because the machine keypad was faulty.

Anyways, clause 13.4 grace period in effect and charge cancelled without needing to go to POPLA. I had contacted NCP customer services last week to give them a chance to withdraw their charge, but they told me it was not possible and I had to go through POPLA. Seems not!
    • claxtome
    • By claxtome 16th Oct 17, 12:48 PM
    • 334 Posts
    • 333 Thanks
    claxtome
    Great news
    • beamerguy
    • By beamerguy 16th Oct 17, 1:10 PM
    • 6,467 Posts
    • 8,286 Thanks
    beamerguy
    Well done

HUMAN ERROR my a*s.

Has a human got into the computer then.

And the BPA fell for it
    RBS - MNBA - CAPITAL ONE - LLOYDS

DISGUSTING BEHAVIOUR
    • fisherjim
    • By fisherjim 16th Oct 17, 1:37 PM
    • 2,585 Posts
    • 3,848 Thanks
    fisherjim
    Brilliant they have cancelled it, but what an unnecessary run around to get there.

I have a parking account with Westfield Shepherds Bush, yesterday the stupid system could not read my spotless number plate, so instead of letting me in I had to take a normal pay on exit ticket.

This cost me £8 instead of my discounted £6, in spite of all the BS around how wonderful ANPR is made out to be it is fallible, but these PPC muppets will never admit it openly or it would lead to problems.

"Human error" is always cited as it can be swepped under the carpet, and they can carry on hoping the next one along is a mug!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,130Posts Today

6,683Users online

Martin's Twitter