Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Sir2You
    • By Sir2You 2nd Oct 17, 9:41 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Sir2You
    Adjusted Income calculation with Defined Benefit Pension Scheme
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:41 PM
    Adjusted Income calculation with Defined Benefit Pension Scheme 2nd Oct 17 at 9:41 PM
    Hi All

I would be grateful if someone could explain how Adjusted Income, Threshold Income and ultimately Tapered Allowance are calculated when one is lucky enough to still be part of a Defined Benefit Pension Scheme. I have read extensively on the matter on various websites (HMRC, financial institutions etc...) without unfortunately getting absolute clarity.

Here are the numbers:
    A = Pay from employment: £122,957
    B = Benefits + expenses received: £2,116
    C = Allowable Expenses: £1,430
    D = Interests etc...: £685

E = Pension Input Amount: £53,937
    F = Unused Allowances: £31,734

G = Employer's contribution: £13,707
    H = Employee's contribution: £10,458

I'm pretty comfortable with the calculation of the Threshold Income which I think should A + B and therefore above the £110k (I'm assuming C and D are relevant for my Tax Return but not the calculation of the Threshold Income).

Past this point however, I'm unsure as to how to calculate the Adjusted Income and whether it should be:
    1) A + B + E = £179,010
    2) A + B + G + H = £149,238
    3) Another combination...

Clearly this is of substantial importance as 2) would mean that the £40k allowance wouldn't be tapered and therefore a useful carry-over of £17.8k would still be available into this year. Should 1) be the right calculation, then the allowance would be tapered down to £25.9k and lead to a much lower carry-over of £3.3k. Although this may not matter much for the 2016-2017 tax return, it would make a massive difference to the one for 2017-2018.

If someone has been through this already, I'd love to get your perspective.

Thank you
Page 1
    • Brynsam
    • By Brynsam 3rd Oct 17, 2:09 AM
    • 205 Posts
    • 180 Thanks
    Brynsam
    • 3rd Oct 17, 2:09 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 2:09 AM
    Good clear article at https://www.moneymarketing.co.uk/tapering-of-annual-allowance-adjusted-and-threshold-incomes/
    • Sir2You
    • By Sir2You 4th Oct 17, 8:56 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sir2You
    • 4th Oct 17, 8:56 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 8:56 PM
    Thanks Brynsam.

I had come across this article, however it didn't seem to into consideration Defined Benefits Schemes so I wasn't sure whether it would apply.

I'll carry on investigating.

Thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

136Posts Today

1,435Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin