Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • p90
    • By p90 2nd Oct 17, 9:18 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    p90
    road tax reminders thought
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:18 PM
    road tax reminders thought 2nd Oct 17 at 9:18 PM
    I was wondering do they actually send the road tax reminders with any sort of confirmation that they have been received? am sure I didnt get mine but got the penalty notice couple of days back. I got the car in april 2008 and it came with 6 months road tax i put 6 months on then normally try to do the year but some how it ran out 2 months ago. The car has never been SORN so i would of thought it was like april and october for the months it needed taxed.

Any way paid the fine but was just wondering if there a way they make sure u get the letters in the 1st place and they also used 2nd class on the fine 1 so not impresed if it was that urgent surely 1st class signed for would be the standard
Page 1
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 2nd Oct 17, 9:29 PM
    • 26,204 Posts
    • 10,460 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:29 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:29 PM
    Buy a calendar, if its 7 days before its due then contact them.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 2nd Oct 17, 10:00 PM
    • 4,891 Posts
    • 5,332 Thanks
    societys child
    • 2nd Oct 17, 10:00 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 10:00 PM
    They're not your minders, it really is up to you to ensure your vehicle is legal.
    If you have problems doing this, pay monthly direct debit, then they take it automatically.

• p90
    • By p90 2nd Oct 17, 10:20 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    p90
    • 2nd Oct 17, 10:20 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 10:20 PM
    Set up the DD now, still thought the letters would be sent signed for though, the amount they rob from me whats a couple of £ to make sure i get them
    • Shaka_Zulu
    • By Shaka_Zulu 2nd Oct 17, 11:02 PM
    • 1,232 Posts
    • 2,843 Thanks
    Shaka_Zulu
    • 2nd Oct 17, 11:02 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 11:02 PM
    In the old days we had quite a good system, you used to get a piece of paper which you put in the window which would act as a reminder.
    Show me the man and I’ll show you the crime Beria/Momentum
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 2nd Oct 17, 11:21 PM
    • 11,060 Posts
    • 6,280 Thanks
    DUTR
    • 2nd Oct 17, 11:21 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 11:21 PM
    In the old days we had quite a good system, you used to get a piece of paper which you put in the window which would act as a reminder.
    Originally posted by Shaka_Zulu
    The piece of paper didn't really work either, I'd have my new tax disc to put on display in the glovebox and forget when the month came around.
    • p90
    • By p90 3rd Oct 17, 1:02 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    p90
    • 3rd Oct 17, 1:02 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 1:02 AM
    yh paper 1 was good for the reminder part but used to hate having it in corner of windscreen, never had bother with this either just main concern was y they dont send it recorded and signature as its pretty vital u get it and royal mail aint always 100% delivery
    • wymondham
    • By wymondham 3rd Oct 17, 6:59 AM
    • 4,949 Posts
    • 8,487 Thanks
    wymondham
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:59 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 6:59 AM
    The piece of paper didn't really work either, I'd have my new tax disc to put on display in the glovebox and forget when the month came around.
    Originally posted by DUTR
    why wait to put it in the window?
    • photome
    • By photome 3rd Oct 17, 7:10 AM
    • 12,817 Posts
    • 8,296 Thanks
    photome
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:10 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 7:10 AM
    yh paper 1 was good for the reminder part but used to hate having it in corner of windscreen, never had bother with this either just main concern was y they dont send it recorded and signature as its pretty vital u get it and royal mail aint always 100% delivery
    Originally posted by p90
    that cost would then be added on to everyones tax, why should we all pay for those forgetful people, and for those that work it would also mean a trip to get it just to be told to pay your tax.. no thanks
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 3rd Oct 17, 9:27 AM
    • 15,675 Posts
    • 13,991 Thanks
    AdrianC
    You've been able to pay by ongoing DD for the last three years. Even less of an excuse for abysmal personal administration...

OP - no, they do not have to confirm receipt. They do not even have to send the reminder - it is a courtesy only, not a legal requirement. It is your responsibility as registered keeper to ensure your vehicle is legal. It's easy to check when your tax and MOT are due - https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/
    • takman
    • By takman 3rd Oct 17, 10:01 AM
    • 2,883 Posts
    • 2,402 Thanks
    takman
    There is nothing stopping you putting a piece of paper on your windscreen with tax expiry date if that is what you need to help you remember. You could even add the insurance renewal date and MOT expiry date and make it even more useful than before!.

Originally posted by p90
    It's not vital that you get it at all. It's very easy to check when it expires and there are many different ways to make sure you don't forget.

There is no automatic system to remind you to get your MOT so you must forget this every year?
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 3rd Oct 17, 10:04 AM
    • 15,675 Posts
    • 13,991 Thanks
    AdrianC
    There is nothing stopping you putting a piece of paper on your windscreen with tax expiry date if that is what you need to help you remember. You could even add the insurance renewal date and MOT expiry date and make it even more useful than before!
    Originally posted by takman
    Didn't somebody make a fortune through flogging these, when the tax disc first found its rightful place in history - before Joe Public realised they were just paying a fiver for a round piece of paper they didn't even really need...?
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 3rd Oct 17, 10:19 AM
    • 4,010 Posts
    • 3,432 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    Aside from all the comments saying it's down to you to remember ( which I totally agree with, by the way ), you may find this website useful :

www.memotome.com

Basically you can set up email reminders for any dates, and it'll send you an email 1 week, 1 month, whatever you choose, before the date is due. I use it for birthdays and such-like.

I have no affiliation with the company - just a satisfied user
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • droopsnoot
    • By droopsnoot 3rd Oct 17, 11:06 AM
    • 1,095 Posts
    • 700 Thanks
    droopsnoot
    Originally posted by wymondham
    Because it isn't (wasn't) valid until the starting date. If you renewed your tax disc several days in advance, that new disc doesn't start on the day you buy it. So technically you'd be displaying an invalid tax disc.
    Last edited by droopsnoot; 03-10-2017 at 11:08 AM.
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 3rd Oct 17, 11:33 AM
    • 3,605 Posts
    • 7,947 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    I was wondering do they actually send the road tax reminders with any sort of confirmation that they have been received? am sure I didnt get mine but got the penalty notice couple of days back. I got the car in april 2008 and it came with 6 months road tax i put 6 months on then normally try to do the year but some how it ran out 2 months ago. The car has never been SORN so i would of thought it was like april and october for the months it needed taxed.
    Originally posted by p90
    Why are you not availing yourself of the direct debit facility? This would ensure the tax is renewed automatically without you needing to do anything.
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 3rd Oct 17, 11:37 AM
    • 15,675 Posts
    • 13,991 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Because it isn't (wasn't) valid until the starting date. If you renewed your tax disc several days in advance, that new disc doesn't start on the day you buy it. So technically you'd be displaying an invalid tax disc.
    Originally posted by droopsnoot
    Of course, this was the most trivially technical of offences that nobody was ever done for. You couldn't even buy a tax disc before a day or two "early" unless it was a renewal.
    • DUTR
    • By DUTR 3rd Oct 17, 5:37 PM
    • 11,060 Posts
    • 6,280 Thanks
    DUTR
    Originally posted by wymondham
    Because the new one wasn't valid until the month start date.
    ETA
    DirectGov said:
    A current tax disc must be displayed on the vehicle it was bought for. If you buy a new tax disc before your current tax disc expires, you should not display the new one until the old one has expired. The new tax disc is only valid from the first day of the month you have taxed from. The maximum penalty for failure to display a current tax disc is £200. The tax disc can not be transferred between vehicles.
    Last edited by DUTR; 04-10-2017 at 7:15 PM.
    • z1a
    • By z1a 3rd Oct 17, 8:04 PM
    • 809 Posts
    • 649 Thanks
    z1a
    Even if you can't remember when it expires, it takes 30 seconds to look on line.
    • droopsnoot
    • By droopsnoot 4th Oct 17, 11:05 AM
    • 1,095 Posts
    • 700 Thanks
    droopsnoot
    Of course, this was the most trivially technical of offences that nobody was ever done for. You couldn't even buy a tax disc before a day or two "early" unless it was a renewal.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    I'm sure you're correct on the first point.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 4th Oct 17, 11:59 AM
    • 5,666 Posts
    • 2,608 Thanks
    LeeUK
    You don't even need the postal reminder to tax your vehicle. you can do it online from the 1st of the month using your V5C document reference number.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,095Posts Today

9,462Users online

Martin's Twitter